Anyone here ever use Quicktime Streaming Server to broadcast a live event?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by MattG, May 25, 2005.

1. macrumors 68040

MattG

I'm about to do this for the first time, and I'm a bit nervous. I'm trying to figure out what the best compression setting to use would be, etc., as the server is connected to a single T-1 line and it's not going to support a ton of users. I'm wondering how this is going to turn out. Anyone else have experience doing this?

2. macrumors 65816

realityisterror

I think you're going to need something more advanced than QSS...
    AFAIK, QSS is for streaming a file that's already been recorded (similar to watching a Keynote event after the fact)

If you want something live, you're in a more interesting situation that I know nothing about...
    I'd say give QSS a shot and do a little closed test to see if it does what you want and report back to us.

good luck
    reality

3. thread starter macrumors 68040

MattG

Nope, QTSS includes the ability to broadcast a live event. OS X Server includes it:

http://www.apple.com/server/macosx/features/quicktimestreaming.html

I've already tried it, and I know it works; I'm just concerned about how it's going to work when 20+ people connect to it. That's why I'm wondering if anyone else here has had experience doing this!!

4. macrumors 68030

cr2sh

I'd just record the event... then go back in later and add a "LIVE" banner on it... allow people to download it and simply say it was broadcasted live at some point in the past. They just happened to have missed it.

;)

5. thread starter macrumors 68040

MattG

That'd be great, but we already announced that we'd be doing it live. :)

6. macrumors 6502a

djsound

so how did it go over?

you bought the $7000 server? :eek:

7. thread starter macrumors 68040

MattG

Wow this thread is three years old...

Well judging from what I can remember, it went pretty well?! Yes we bought a server; I don't remember how much it was, it was quite some time ago (it's a dual processor G5).

We've since upgraded our T-1 to a 5Mbit connection, and it seems like there's always a few users who have trouble connecting, but that's no surprise. After the events are over, we usually do post a Flash version of the movie that people can watch whenever.

8. macrumors 6502a

djsound

ah ya didn't notice it was 3 years old. I just did a search for 'streaming' since i'm planning on doing the same kind of thing soon. Problem is I do not have $7000 for a server. I'm told I can use my second computer for my server running Darwin (top of the line macbook pro), but I don't know how to do this yet....or even if its possible. I would be using Quicktime Broadcaster to stream it live..