Anyone here going month-to-month on ATT?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by smithrh, Jan 2, 2011.

1. macrumors 68020

smithrh

I'm considering giving a friend my old 3GS. However, Googling shows that AT&T generally likes to get people onto contracts even when people bring in owned iPhones.

Given that, I do see old posts out there which indicate that some people have had success in getting onto month-to-month plans. Has anyone here been successful in doing this?

TIA...

2. macrumors 6502

Att should only force you on contract when you purchase a subsidized phone. If you bring your own in, it should be month by month I think

3. thread starter macrumors 68020

smithrh

Oh I agree - it *should*.

But many posts I've seen indicate that AT&T - honestly or not - will somehow get people onto a contract.

4. macrumors 6502

5. macrumors 68000

ToroidalZeus

yes they will illegitimately put you into a 2 yr contract even with your own phone. happened to me. all you have to do is specify that won't be put into the contract.

6. thread starter macrumors 68020

smithrh

Good, thanks.

But there are still lots of data points which indicate that people are being forced into contracts.... interesting.

7. macrumors 68000

ToroidalZeus

it's not forced so much as default. when you go to the store to add an extra line to you account they default to a 2yr contract on that line instead of month to month. i guess it's a way to trap suckers with contracts they don't deserve; times like these i am glad we have lawyers.

8. macrumors 6502

I did this with 2 iphone 3Gs'. You have to specify that you want a 0 month contract. They asked me why and I said I want to wait for the next version of the iphone to come out before I signed a contract. I was also waiting to see if the phone would come out for verizon before getting locked in to AT&T.

9. macrumors Nehalem

Applejuiced

Yes if you're not careful AT&T reps might hose you.
    Make sure and verify or get it written that you are not under contract if you bring in your own phone and get no subsidy.

10. macrumors member

bikedogrun

Yes. You can DEFINITELY bring your own iPhone to AT&T and start a month-to-month contract.

I have done this twice in the last 6 months or so and it is not a problem whether you do it in a corporate AT&T store (wouldn't try it @ a mall kiosk) or over the phone. Your paperwork from AT&T will clearly state that your contract end date is today (i.e. the day you begin the new contract).

/BD :cool:

11. thread starter macrumors 68020

smithrh

Thanks for the input...

I won't actually be the one talking to AT&T, it will be the person I'm considering giving the phone to. I'll stress to him to insist on a no contract plan and to get that in writing. I've noticed on some other (non-MacRumors) posts that the affiliate stores seem to be the worst offenders in this regard so I'll tell him to go to a corporate store if this goes through.

Of course, if Verizon announces the iPhone will be on their network then I'll tell him to get one of those instead - he needs minimal dropped calls as this phone will be both personal and business use. If there's no announcement within a week of CES ending we'll try AT&T and see how he does with dropped calls where he is.

12. macrumors 6502

No, I'm on a contract with AT&T and have received nothing but great speed, connectivity, and service over the last five years.