Anyone here have Half Life 2 for their 360?

Discussion in 'Games' started by G5Unit, Jan 8, 2006.

1. G5Unit macrumors 68020

G5Unit

I just want to know how nice it looks on an HDTV. Because when I get an Xbox 360, I want to get Half life 2...too.:p Cause my parentals won't let me build a gaming PC.

Hopefully it will look nicer than this:

Attached Files:

2. CubeHacker macrumors 65816

CubeHacker

Umm, that screenshot suffers from some extreme JPEG compression artifacts. The xbox version looks quite nice actually, although not as nice as the PC version. Running the game on a 360 won't suddenly make it look better, although it might run with some Anti Aliasing to sharpen the edges up a bit.

3. G5Unit thread starter macrumors 68020

G5Unit

Yeh, I just took a screenshot of the reg. version and stretched it out. Plus I had to make it smaller so everything looks terrible. Will everything be stretched out? Or will it become widescreen?

4. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

There should be a law that HL2 should only be played on a PC/Mac (if possible). its a fantastic game that just does not work with dual analogue controlling, unlike Halo.

that screenshot looks like a PS2 game more than anything.

5. harveypooka macrumors 65816

Half Life 2 on the Mac would be a dream come true. A friend of mine just got a new laptop called 'The Rock' - everything is maxed out on it. Lovely. HL2 on a quad - 50,000 frames a second...or if it's like the port of Doom 3 - 3 frames a second! Woot!

6. G5Unit thread starter macrumors 68020

G5Unit

Any news about Half life 2 comin out for the 360? Imagine, Man that games looks so god for being almost a year and a half old.

7. Phat_Pat macrumors 68000

Phat_Pat

i haven't played it for 360 but the one for xbox has been cut down extremely. the physics are still there but for instance if you break a box it almost instantly disappears.

also the only game i've tried besides halo forced me into a 4:3 mode where i had bars on the side.

kinda a pain and the game wasn't improved whatsoever.

8. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

I really doubt it... a THIRD packaging of a game (first on the PC, then the Xbox) for the 360? They'd have to do a lot of work to make it work on the different architecture (triple G5s vs. Pentium).

What I *would* like to see from Valve is an Xbox Live Arcade version of their new PC game Darwinia.

P.S.: Post #3,500!

9. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Nah, cant see a specific 360 version coming out anytime soon, but they might do the same as HALO 2 and release a patch that adds a few extra tweaks...

Darwinia has been out so long, I imagine Valve got a very good deal on distributing it now... The mac version is very cool, and only about 20 meg....

3500 post's OMG!!!!! Clayj you got to get out more :D (seriously tho, good on ya)..

10. Abulia macrumors 68000

Abulia

I played HL2 on my 360 using the emulation profile. It ran and played fine.

The graphics were really good for the Xbox -- which is to say they looked better than anything sans a PC -- but only "meh" on the 360. Remember, as an Xbox1-only title, HL2 only supports 480p on the 360, so there is no true HD gameplay.

Don't get me wrong. Still looks good and played just fine. I wasn't thrilled with the gameplay so I returned it (rental) without finishing.

A 360-native version would probably look stunning, though!

11. G5Unit thread starter macrumors 68020

G5Unit

Before this turns into a console fanboy argument, does anyone have a second opinion?

12. fcodc macrumors newbie

fcodc

It's better on a regular Xbox

Since I don't own a PC, I got it for Xbox. The graphics are nice (for Xbox!), but framerates are worse than its PC counterpart. And when I booted it on my 360, I actually felt the game was slower. But it looked a bit better. Since framerates are an important issue to me, I'll hang on to my old Xbox for a while now.

13. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Thats a strange thing to say, the framerate is affected by how high the resolution is, levels of AA, Anisotropic filtering, graphics details. if the frame rate is bad then lower the graphics. Heck I'm getting 40fps at 1200*1024 and my desktop PC is mediocre at best. The Xbox version is limited to 30fps I believe. I know I'm just backing up what you said but the PC version can have anywhere from 0fps to unlimited FPS. I dunno, not having a go but that just sounds like a daft comment in my head.

14. fcodc macrumors newbie

fcodc

Half Life 2

I meant that the Xbox version framerates are worse than the PC version (that is, if you have a good PC like a couple of friends do). I'm happy with the Xbox version since I don't have a PC. But if you can pick the PC version and have a nice system, I'd recommend it much more.

15. combatcolin macrumors 68020

combatcolin

With a console you can avoid Steam.

And buy it 2nd hand.

16. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Very true. And if you don't have broadband, you have to unlock and repack all your files via steam when you install and it can take hours......

Installing the game can take longer than completing it... Very dissapointing end, if you can call it an end?

At least that crap is stripped out of the xbox version. I'm hoping they release a patch for the 360 that allows HL2 to run at 720p with improved framerate... But I wont hold my breath...:rolleyes: