Anyone here have knowledge or experience with melanoma?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by ravenvii, Oct 31, 2005.

1. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

Two days ago, I found a mark on my left arm that looks like melanoma. I went to the clinic today, and was referred to a skin doctor for diagnosis.

Anyone here know or have experience with this type of skin cancer?

2. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

Not personally, although one of my uncles had a case of melanoma a while back (on the top of his head)... apparently he'd spent too much time sailing his yacht without wearing a hat. Luckily, they were able to surgically remove it... now he wears a hat AND he stays off yachts.

Take it seriously. Hopefully if it is something bad, you caught it early.

3. ScruffyTheMac macrumors regular

I have had 3 or 4 skin growths removed; lab testing showed them to be 'pre-cancerous'. If you catch these things early and have them removed, there should be no issue.

If this is something that just recently appeared, you're probably OK. But make sure you get to your dermatologist ASAP.

If yours is pre-cancerous, it's probably a good idea to have regular dermatology screens. My PCP has me seeing a dermatologist every 6 months now.

4. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

How could you tell right away? Stuff happens to my skin all the time......zits, bumps, etc.......I couldn't tell one apart from the other.

5. ScruffyTheMac macrumors regular

6. SthrnCmfrtr macrumors 6502

Yeah, so I had this nice big dark bluish mole on the upper outside of my right calf, near to the knee. Nearly a perfect circle, dome-shaped, about .3 inches or 7.6mm across. I've had it for quite a while. Ugly, but I like to think of it as my "beauty mark."

It's been itching for a couple of weeks, but I didn't really pay any attention. Thought it was just dry skin, since it's been very cold and dry here and my legs have been a little dry in the morning.

Yesterday, I was itching it and looked down. Mmm. Looks all red and bumpy around it, and the skin is kinda peely. Mmm yum ulceration. So I went to the friendly local Wikipedia, where I figured that this mole was actually a compound nevus. It's large enough to be a dysplasic nevus but is still regular in appearance, so I figured it's just compound. But then I saw some rather disturbing pictures that looked very familiar...

Anyway, I'm making an appointment with Herr Doktor tomorrow, and see if I can't get a punch biopsy (apparently, it's already too large to just get carved out with a scalpel or whatever). Good times.

ravenii, I've seen you on the boards recently so I assume you're still alive. How did this turn out for you?

7. ErikCLDR macrumors 68000

Not Good. It's one of the worst types of skin cancer because it can metastasize. Please make sure you get completely checked out and have this taken care of ASAP!