Anyone here juggle?

Discussion in 'Community' started by trebblekicked, Aug 30, 2004.

1. trebblekicked macrumors 6502a

trebblekicked

it's a silly but addicting hobby. i started a couple of summers ago while in france, and now i can juggle four balls, i've got a bunch of three ball patterns and tricks, and now i can pass six clubs, as well as do some three club tricks and patterns.

i just this month picked up cigar box manipulating, which is maybe the coolest thing i've ever done. i'd never even heard of it until a friend who spent the past year and half juggling for royal carriebean moved back and brought the skill with him. it's rad.

here's a vid (the only one i could find) of someone doing cigar boxes. it's a pretty big file, so dial-up beware:

original link

better i/o mirror

anyone else juggle?

2. emw macrumors G4

emw

I'm better at juggling projects at work than anything real ;), but I have taken to juggling balls, toys, anything that is at least fairly similar in heft and balance. I'm not very good, but enjoy trying it out.

I've seen a lot of acts where people do bowling balls or torches, or some of that stuff. I'm not brave enough to go that route, but when I get the chance, I'll always find 3 or 4 tennis balls or something to practice.

Sounds like you're becoming quite accomplished...

3. sebisworld macrumors 6502

I have a friend who's really amazing when it comes to juggling. He can basically juggle anything in any quantity. It's really neat. I can only do three balls with a few tricks and 4 balls without any, but I do ride the unicycle:)

I love those cigar boxes, though. I've tried them a few times but I always failed miserably. Nonetheless, I know that I'm gonna be able to do it eventually - I just have to:)

4. Hoef macrumors 6502a

Hoef

Hahaha ... Very entertaining, are they reinforced sigar boxes? ...

5. KingSleaze macrumors 6502

I've pretty much stopped at 3 'balls'. Tried pins for awhile. Rings also. Torches are just an extension on pins, same with machetes. Never got into boxes, couldn't get the hang of devil sticks.

6. Mudbug Administrator emeritus

Mudbug

I can do 3 balls without a problem, and a consistent 2 balls in a single hand for quite a while. I learned with a set of juggling balls purchased at a Ren Fair a LONG time ago (15 years +). I've never been able to master 4 - had it going once or twice, but the timing really escapes me.

7. iLikeMyiMac macrumors 6502a

iLikeMyiMac

I learned to juggle in a high school theatre class. The most I can do is 3 balls. I haven't done it in a while but will probablly do it tonight after being reminded of it.

8. musicpyrite macrumors 68000

musicpyrite

I've never been able to juggle... In fact I've never known anyone in my family to juggle.

I don't have enough had eye coordination. :rolleyes:

But I can whistle and tie my shoes. :D

9. Les Kern macrumors 68040

Les Kern

I was a mime for awhile, but some guy shot me in the hip.

10. trebblekicked thread starter macrumors 6502a

trebblekicked

they're only cigar boxes in shape, nowadays. a thin wooden box reinforced with tape and suede on the sides (to help catch).

i didn't know this, but turns out w.c. fields was a master cigar box manipulator. those vaudevillians, i tell you, they could do so many things...

11. comictimes macrumors 6502a

comictimes

I learned to juggle like a year and a half ago (I always wanted to, but never was able to teach myself...), and have loved it ever since. Right now I can do a bunch of tricks with 3 balls (reverse cascade, under the leg, catching it on your neck and tossing it back up, bouncing off the elbow, mill's mess- I love that one, umm... under the arm... I'm trying to learn some trick that make you look like a penguin... and several other tricks, which I can't remember at the moment). I can also juggle 4 balls, but only in the 2 in each hand pattern. I haven't learned how to cross the balls yet, and then there are clubs rings, passing clubs, stealing clubs and balls, replacing things, devil sticks... it's all so much fun! I love it. :D

12. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

When I was smaller I was into juggling. Could do TONS of tricks with 3 balls, I could juggle clubs, torches, and just about any 3 objects. I could juggle 4 balls, but never for longer than 45 seconds, and it wasn't pretty. I think my record with 5 balls was about 9 seconds. I guess that doesn't seem very long, but it is ;).

scem0

13. Loge macrumors 68020

Loge

I used to juggle while at college and a few years later. I was okay doing 4 ball, 3 clubs and club passing, but never quite got the hang of 5 balls. It's a significant difficulty step above 4. I also tried devil sticks and diabolos - great fun. A recommended book is The Complete Juggler by Dave Finnigan for those learning.

14. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

I tired devil sticks too - I never got good at them though :p.

I wish I knew someone to pass with, I think 6 club passing would be a load of fun.

scem0

15. comictimes macrumors 6502a

comictimes

Devil sticks really are awesome. And if you do manage to find someone to learn 6 club passing with, definitely take the oppurtunity- it's a ton of fun. Unfortunately my friend and I who are doing it haven't gotten too good yet, but it's still very fun. Also, I heard from someone (my old science teacher, actually) that with 5 balls you have to be really exact with your throws, to the point that you can juggle (a little, at least) 3 balls with your eyes closed. Is this actually true? because I really want to learn 5 balls, but I'm definitely not good enough to juggle 3 balls with my eyes closed...

16. trebblekicked thread starter macrumors 6502a

trebblekicked

i dunno about keeping your eyes closed, but it's definitely about solid patterns. basically, you always have a standard three ball pattern happening in the air, and you're feeding into it with your left and right hands. my roommate is working on five right now, and he hardly ever looks down; it's all about the pattern up top.

that said, five is quite a feat. i only know three people who can do it, and two of them are professionals.

17. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

I juggle tennis balls, which I find relaxing. I haven't tried chainsaws.

I was lousy at devil sticks, until I decided I wasn't happy about it. So one day, about two months ago, I spent hours in the yard practicing. Now I'm OK instead of lousy, so I can have fun!

It's fun to try juggling a few items of mismatched weight. Look out below!