Anyone here lift weights/bodybuild?

Discussion in 'Community' started by ravenvii, Feb 13, 2005.

1. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

Anyone into the lifting weights/bodybuilding stuff? Maybe we could use this thread to exchange routines and advice. I'm thinking of starting to go to the gym and getting my body back into shape - I'm underweight, and find it hard to gain weight. I'm about 125 lbs, at about 5% body fat. No kidding.

I'm going to use this program:

Alternating between workout 1 and 2 on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays;

Workout 1 Legs/back

Leg press (3 sets)
    Leg curl (3 sets)
    Standing calf raise (3 sets)
    Wide gip pulldown (3 sets)
    Seated row (2 sets)
    Shrugs (2sets)

Workout 2 Chest/shoulders/arms

Bench press (3 sets)
    Incline db press (2 sets)
    Seated dumbell press (3 sets)
    Side laterals (2 sets)
    Pushdowns (3 sets)
    Barbell curls (3 sets)

And do moderate cardio for about 30 minutes on Thursdays and Tuesdays. And crunches too, as many as I can before failure.

What do you guys think? Any advice on the diet? That's my weakest point - I'm at university, and it's hard to eat healthy and more than 2-3 times a day without bleeding money.

Show your routines and plans!

2. Diatribe macrumors 601

Diatribe

We had something like this recently.

Besides this, there are three things to consider for ectomorphs:
    - eat right, meaning enough carbohydrates and protein (3 meals 3 protein shakes should be sufficient but you're mileage may vary)
    - work out right. You shouldn't be doing more than 10 sets per muscle and you should be lifting heavy in low rep territory (about 6-8)
    - rest a lot, get enough sleep, and always recover before working out again
    - work every muscle once every 6 or 7 days and quit the cardio when you're trying to gain mass

That's it. No big secret to it. :)

Oh and.... searching is your friend. :p :D

3. dxm113 macrumors member

must increase caloric intake to increase body mass

to put on lean mass, eat 1g of protein per pound body weight: i.e. if you weigh 125, eat 125g of protein

don't eat crap just to gain weight, still eat healty (chicken, eggs, whole grains, low fat peanut butter)

try picking up the Feb. issue of "Muscle & Fitness" as there is a good article on eating for different body types.

forget the crunches, grab some weight and do sit-ups on an incline to put some mass on your mid-section

Diatribe is right about 6-8 reps, this is spot-on for mass building. However, if you're new to working out, I would recommend reps of 10 for good muscle endurance. Also, switch it up every now and then in terms of reps and order that you do your routine (if you do what you've always done. . .). Try a pyramid every now and then in terms of reps (10 / 8 / 5 / 3)

also, start seaching around online. check out www.bodybuilding.com for good excercise and nutritional info.

BTW, somebody else's routine may not work for you as many people have different body types. the routine you have listed sounds great if your new to lifting. After about 6-10 weeks you may want to consider switching it up to a differnt routine to avoid a rut.

one last thing, leave your ego at home when you go to the gym. . . go to the gym and push yourself, however don't to try lift as much weight as you possibly can. find out what you can safely / effectively lift

4. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Whatever you do, make sure you work out your legs more than your arms. I work opposite a gym and some of the junkies who want to just "bulk up" as much as possible crank the arm weights, walking out the door three months later looking like upside down pyramids (not cool - very unstable!)

Otherwise, best of luck with the weights. I tried them once in 1999 and decided they're not for me... Stuck doing the same thing for so many reps would make me an even MADDER jew! :p

5. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

i dont go to the gym to work out, but im pretty decently muscular as it is from back when i was in highschool, however, i do crunches and pushups all the time at home, and i have a dumb bell set at 25pounds that i use to work out my arms as well, i occasionally go for a run, going to make it a much more habitual as the weather warms though

6. cmvsm macrumors 6502a

cmvsm

Not to mention, if you don't work your legs, not only will you look like a disproportioned idiot, but there'll be a limit to how large your upper body can get, as working your legs releases a great deal of growth hormone. You could actually work your legs and nothing else and the rest of your body would slightly grow with them, as they are such a large muscle group.

Also, don't forget to take a multi-vitamin to cover the days where your budget doesn't allow you to eat completely healthy.

7. _bnkr612 macrumors 6502a

_bnkr612

Lift 4 sets of 12.

That'll get you somewhere, your body needs to be shocked.

Don't be one of these guys in the gym either.

[​IMG]

8. virividox macrumors 601

virividox

Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    i try to work out at least 3 times a week, mixing up the work outs so my body doesnt get used to it :) and soi dont get bored haha

9. Diatribe macrumors 601

Diatribe

This is all good advice. As I mentioned, search the net and you'll find plenty of resources. Try out some routines and get a feel for what works best for you. There is no "one" truth.

Please follow this. There is nothing more embarrassing than people who jerk weights up and down and don't use proper form. Not only is it bad for your health it also looks tremendously stupid. ;)

10. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

i was gonna post that too, but couldn't find it... too early on a monday for me...

like i said in the other thread... menshealth.com is going offer better advice than a tech geek forum... :p :D

11. beaudry macrumors newbie

menshealth is a joke, go to t-nation.com. You won't find better information. As for food, if you really want to put on some weight, you're not going to be able to eat as clean as the other poster mentions, you're just to small. Gaining weight is as much about eating as it is about lifting. I would also recommend squats and deadlifts instead of the leg curls/leg extensions in your routine. Just don't do them on the same day.

12. debo macrumors regular

You don't think you should do squats and dead lifts on the same day? Why not?

13. pigbat macrumors regular

How tall are you raven? I'm 6'2" and 138 pounds. I've never had any luck putting on weight because I just can't keep my caloric intake high enough to keep up with my metabolism. I do light body building and spend a lot of time on the treadmill.

14. ravenvii thread starter macrumors 604

ravenvii

I'm 5'11".

That's what gets me with those kinds of stuff... there's too many different routines and types of exercises and types of programs out there that it's a bit overwhelming. And you couldn't really tell if it works for you until about 1-2 months later. To experiment with them is a long, tedious process. It gets me feeling like I spend more time researching those things than actually doing it. Plus there's other factors, such as overtraining and diet that could affect your results, so you couldn't really tell either.

15. Diatribe macrumors 601

Diatribe

It's not that hard. The routine is actually not the most important part. It is how you do it, what you eat and how much you rest.
    I change my routine every 6 weeks so I experiment constantly. (Though this is to prevent adaptation of the muscles)

16. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

I'm also an ectomorph and have successfully managed to gain weight. In addition to the above which are all true, remember to be patient. Its going to take a long time to make substantial gains. Took me 5 years to put on 40 pounds and I only gained another 10 pounds 5 years after that. I'm now 37 years old, 6'3", 190 pounds. Everyone thinks I'm in my twenties.

This is as much mental as it is physical. So many people give up after a few months-I see it everyday. Think of it this way-when you start working out, you're going to do it for the rest of your life. It's like work-it's not an option. And remember that the gains will be slow, and sometimes you'll get frustrated and want to quit, but don't. It's your body-it's where you live. Take care of it. :) Oh and I totally agree with the above. Do not do cardio right now! It'll negate everything you're trying to accomplish.

17. pigbat macrumors regular

lol This is what kills me. I'm an avid runner so putting on weight has always been a challenge for me. In the last 15 years I've put on 10-15 pounds. I'm now 35 years old and everyone thinks I'm in my mid 20's also.

18. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Oh I know! And you know what else I hate? If I go on vacation for a week and don't work out I'll lose 5 pounds! Not to mention the fact that I'll feel terrible too. So I try to visit a gym when I'm on vacation. :)

19. ravenvii thread starter macrumors 604

ravenvii

So... how do I know what to start with? And how do I know if a program is good for me, or it needs a revamp, or I need to make/find a new program?

20. pigbat macrumors regular

I think Diatribe said it earlier.....

- eat right, meaning enough carbohydrates and protein (3 meals 3 protein shakes should be sufficient but you're mileage may vary)
    - work out right. You shouldn't be doing more than 10 sets per muscle and you should be lifting heavy in low rep territory (about 6-8)
    - rest a lot, get enough sleep, and always recover before working out again
    - work every muscle once every 6 or 7 days and quit the cardio when you're trying to gain mass

Don't worry so much about if it's the right program just keep going. It may take years to notice the difference. If you're a cardio freak it may take decades. :D

21. ejb190 macrumors 65816

ejb190

Check with your school and see if you can find a fitness trainer to consult with. And when you do meet with them be totally honest about where you are now and where you want to go.

22. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

It seems to me that everyone has given you a lot of good advice so far, but I will tell you to avoid cardio like the plague right now. Nothing will prevent you from gaining weight more. It looks to me that your weight-lifting regimen is good to start with. After a few months you may want to move up to 4 sets with the 3rd set being a really heavy/low-rep one.

For example:

1st set- 60 pounds, 14 reps
    2nd set-70 pounds, 14 reps
    3rd set-110 pounds, 8 reps
    4th set-60 pounds, 14 reps

This is just an example of what I'm talking about. You can also alternate this method with the one you listed. And EAT! Eat what you want, but make sure it's not doughnuts and candy bars. Protein shakes made with milk are important too-don't use the fruit juice ones. I recommend red meat once a day too. We have high metabolisms and they're extremely stubborn, but you CAN do this. And it WILL take years-don't think it'll be sooner.

I found personal trainers to be too weight-loss oriented. They did nothing for me. I got my advice from a friend who was in the Navy.

23. ravenvii thread starter macrumors 604

ravenvii

The thing is, with food I don't have much of a choice what I eat. I'm in university, living in the dorm, and food is limited. Shakes are out - unless it's pre-made shakes, and those are WAY too expensive to drink 3x a day. Red meat a day? Who knows what they offer at the cafeteria. And I tend to avoid the meat there, they have WAY too much cheap, fatty meat. As I said, I have limited options as far as diet goes.

24. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Are you limited portion-wise as well? And do not buy into the fatty meat myth. Protein needs fat in order to build muscle. I would try to see if you can eat more of the food available to you at school. Do the best with what you have. :)

25. pigbat macrumors regular

Funny, I got my advice from a Marine Corpsman.