Anyone here named "David Smith?"

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by eyelikeart, Sep 9, 2003.

1. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

One thing I've never encountered in my life, another person with the same name as mine. ;)

Apparently, there's 57 "David Smiths" listed in the Vermont phone books. :D

story here

2. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

That's really strange.:p

I know a guy with the last name of Smith, but he's a Randy. He named his son John Smith though, to which the usual reply is "Yeah, now tell me your real name!"

3. toontra macrumors 6502

Where I spend my holidays in Scotland the next-door cabin owner is a David Smith, and a very nice chap he is!

4. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

I had a David Smith in my high school class. Have never met anyone with my first or last name. Both are very umcommon, especially my first name. There is a cartoonist that has my first name!

5. G4scott macrumors 68020

G4scott

There was a David Smith as an assistant band director at my high school...

As for people with the same name is me, there is one high-profile person, who just happens to be a hardcore environmentalist :rolleyes:

Oh well...

6. Freg3000 macrumors 68000

Freg3000

I saw this on a TV show on MSNBC (countdown). Keith Olberman, the host, had three of them on.

BTW, it is a great show. Check it out. :)
    8 PM ET weekdays MSNBC

7. DavidFDM macrumors regular

8. Stelliform macrumors 68000

Stelliform

I bumped into a guy a few years ago with the same name as me.

The freaky thing is he is the same age as me, and graduated high school with one of my college buddies. I asked my college friend why he had never mentioned it, and he said that he actually never thought about it. :D

9. sedarby macrumors regular

Close friend of my wife and myself is named David Smith. Great guy, loves to bet on horse races.

10. themadchemist macrumors 68030

themadchemist

I've never met anyone with either my first name or my last name...But then again, they're weird, even for an Indian name. Or so I have been told by fellow Indians.

11. alia macrumors 6502a

alia

I rarely run into people with the same first name as me... maybe only 2 ever in person. I also rarely ever run into people with the same last name as me - none in person, although there are some in the phone book. I've never, ever met anyone with the same first and last name as me, and I probably never will unless one of my brother's names their daughter after me. :)

Alia

P.S. It's great to have a fairly uncommon name.

12. Dros macrumors 6502

It is great to have a fairly common name... no one can delve into your internet trail with Google. If someone tries with my name, there are a million links to a rock star and some others before getting anything on me. Of course, my credit history is sometimes difficult to clear.

In college, I lived in a house with a guy that had my same first and last name, both of us the same height and hair color. When others in the house answered the phone it was like "20 questions". "Is it the one that plays frisbee?"

13. evoluzione macrumors 68020

evoluzione

down the road, that's where i'll always be
    close, but not quite, i'm Matt not David.

when i started Upper School though, first day there, we went to our classrooms that we were told to go to, and i sat on a table with three other lads, it turns out that on that table with me was another Matt Smith, and two Matt White's. how freaky?????

14. macfreek57 macrumors 6502

somebody who went to Notre Dame in 1907 had the same complete name as I do - James Ryan Devitt

but I know no David Smith

15. tazo macrumors 68040

tazo

If you enter my name in google it will bring up about 400 attorneys named like me :D

16. Powerbook G5 macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

My name is also David and it sucks during school since there is almost always another David or two so when the teacher calls out "David" we are baffled as to which one should respond. It seems pretty common. I am sure there are a lot of David Smiths out there since Smith is one of the most common last names in the US and David is also a pretty common name.

17. Makosuke macrumors 603

Congregation of David Smiths... weird.

I did have one reasonably odd name experience, though. I have a reasonably common name (though my "Marc" is far less common than "Mark"), but I've only run into a handful of other Marks in life, and never another Marc (never met anyone with the same full name, though Google tells me there are many). Through my 5 years as a college student, only ran into one other Mark in any classes...

...except for one late-evening hardcore geek class: wasn't worth useful credit for any major, and was basically just looking at cool stuff from the history of computing. Not a person in there wasn't a serious geek. And there were not only TWO other Marks, but another Marc as well. That was just creepy. Almost enough to make you believe all that name crap.

Uh, oh--I made two of the top three hits in Google for my first-last name. There went my anoymity.

18. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

19. tpjunkie macrumors 65816

tpjunkie

There's a kid at my college who I had a class with named David Smith

20. P-Worm macrumors 68020

P-Worm

I know quite a few people that have the same name as me (first and last). My name is Thomas Taylor and that is really about as generic as you can get. It actually is troublesome sometimes because both my first and last names are first and last names. I get people calling me Taylor Thomas all the time.

P-Worm