Anyone Here Own a Mercedes

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by doucy2, Dec 18, 2005.

1. doucy2 macrumors 65816

doucy2

Anyone own one
    i have 2
    MB 83 300D TurboDiesel 165,000 miles cream on browninsh/maroon (not found in the US, import from Germany)

MB 87 300D TurboDiesel 207,000 miles charcoal on grey

both are leather
    and im looking to put a system in the 83 (already has new cd player)

i just bought the 83 this week
    i'm just wondering if there are any other mercedes fans/collector/owners out there

i would post pics but i have no camera
    feel free to post yours

cheers

2. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

i know someone on the boards here who has a landrover or two;)

3. Patmian212 macrumors 68020

Patmian212

Dude your 16 and you got 2 benz! DAMN! How much did you pay for em?

4. illegalprelude macrumors 68000

illegalprelude

you might want to check out the years before you spoog your pants

5. Shaun.P macrumors 68000

Shaun.P

My dad has a Mercedes E180 [I think!] Silver.

If I had a Mercedes, it would have to be black, black is sleak!

6. Patmian212 macrumors 68020

Patmian212

Hmmm yeah you're right, I also have no idea what those go for but I have been in both and they are still great cars, but they look like some old guys should be driving it(no offense doucy2)

7. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

less than $3000 a piece... i have two friend who drive 1990 300's with less than 100k miles that they paid less than 3grand for...

8. aquajet macrumors 68020

Umm, what do you know about old Mercedes? Have you ever driven one? Probably not, hence your comment.

9. Hoef macrumors 6502a

Hoef

I used to own a W107 but now I am looking for an affordable W113

10. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

he probably knows that old cars with over 100k miles aren't incredibly expensive...

why the hostility?:confused:

11. illegalprelude macrumors 68000

illegalprelude

you might want to check around all your car forums and you will know my name.

Audiworld
    M3forum
    M5forum
    NorthAmericanMotoring
    Roadfly
    Mini2
    Hondatech

I have owned more cars then you can imagine and I know more about then you know. We are talking about the Basic series from MB right there. nothing fancy. nothing sports natured, unlike lets say a 3 series but even at that point, we are talkin about 80's units.

this is no offence to the original poster. to each his own with his units and im a Euro nut fan, so nothing against you bro, you will love your cars :) and appreciate them too ^_^

12. aquajet macrumors 68020

oh no, no hostily meant...:) I just got the impression that because it's an 80's vehicle, it must be no good.

Me? I'm partial to the older 500SL. I also like the 300D turbo diesel. Nothing like fresh diesel exhaust in the morning :D

And 165k miles for an '83 diesel isn't that much at all. Probably no more than 1/4 the life of the drivetrain, provided it's been well maintained.

13. Verto macrumors 6502a

Verto

No, because it's an 80s vehicle with 167-200,000 miles on it, its not going to be expensive or anything spectacular. Except for people who think the Mercedes logo is worth 70,000 dollars alone.

14. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

an older mercerdes can be an incredible deal, even with load of miles, provided that you know how to work on a car (or have a good mechanic)- and have a cheap parts source (radiators usually start to go, not cheap to replace most times)

15. Verto macrumors 6502a

Verto

I just have a thing against Mercedes (owners) since it seems so many of them think that car entitles them to be a$$holes to everyone around them.

But it could just be I come in contact with the worst of people with my job :(

16. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

judging people based on what they drive/how they look etc. can be a dangerous thing to do...

that said... i think i hate most SUV drivers in DC- if it can't fit in to a normal parking space and driving lane, leave it at home... are you really going to off-road in the city? please... ;) :D

17. e²Studios macrumors 68020

e²Studios

i personally think i dont have enough gray hair to drive a Mercedes. I love my 550i, maybe i'm just a BMW guy but i think mercs are for old over the hill doctors/lawyers that are trying to pick up some 18 year old blonde.

I was never a fan of Mercs though...

Ed

18. Koodauw macrumors 68040

Koodauw

how many computers did you have to trade to get your benz?

19. UKnjb macrumors 6502a

UKnjb

Hi!
    I am soooooo sorry, but I own one! It is a 2-year old (from new) SLK230 Kompressor, 11000 miles on the clock. Totally black - metallic black body, black tinted windows, black leather electric seats, black maple wood trim, low-profile tyres, six-spoke ally wheels, sat-nav, etc. blah blah blah, and it goes --- well, it goes soooo fast that I reckon it is nearly as fast as this very fast and impressive G4 Powerbook that I use to type this reply. I drove it across Germany (to Denmark) when it was new to see just how fast it would go. It went off the clock at 165mph (supposed to be regulated at 155mph and I wondered if I should complain to Mercedes - thought better of it) and it was soooo rock-solid. Deep joy all the way, especially with the power-roof folded down. Until ---- until I was overtaken, at speed, by a bunch of Porsches and Ferraris going at a squillion mph or more. Whatever; driving around in it is better than sex any day - even if the sex is very very dirty.

Ummmm. So why do you want to know?

20. Verto macrumors 6502a

Verto

I always wondered why Mercedes didn't ship over their cheap models to the US - the ones that were closer to 20,000 euros. I personally don't think they are worth 80,000 or whatever people spend on them, except for the social status it is viewed as by some.

21. Hoef macrumors 6502a

Hoef

That's right, my 1979 W107 (450sl) costed me $10k when I bought it in 1999, I sold it for $10k in 2002.

22. mikaelrules macrumors newbie

My family has a W210 E240 and an E39 540i. I know that there is a significant difference in engine sizes, but the 5-Series is just a better car in almost every respect. That isn't to say that the Mercedes is a bad car though.

Here are some pictures of the E-Class
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

As you can see, it's quite blue.

23. lalcan macrumors regular

You can get one south of the border ;-) i bought an A160 2000 six months ago and, even if they are not a REAL Mercedes, i've found it quite better than my previous Jetta, and believe me, that's something good. I've heard somewhere that the new B-Class will be sold in the States.

24. rdowns Suspended

rdowns

Trade for items in my sig? :eek: