Anyone here own an electric scooter?

Discussion in 'Community' started by vniow, Feb 13, 2004.

1. vniow macrumors G4

Jul 18, 2002
    I accidentally my whole location.
    Been thinking of picking one up for commuting around town, everything's fairly close together here and farther transportation isn't an issue either since buses run just about everywhere but something like this would be nice for those places where the buses don't go so I'm looking for any feedback on anyone's who has ever had one before before I plop down ~$200 for one.

Thinking something along the lines of this, small, light, portable and most of all affordable but maybe thre's others I dunno...

2. scem0 macrumors 604

Jul 16, 2002
    back in NYC!
    I think a bicycle would be easier, but that's just me :).

3. Thanatoast macrumors 6502a

Dec 3, 2002
    Don't buy that scooter for commuting. I had the exact same idea and purchased that exact model but it proved to be more of a toy than an actual transportation solution. You'd have to get the next model up, which is like $600. Sorry.
  4. oldschool macrumors 65816

Sep 30, 2003
    I wouldn't buy sharper image...they annoy me.

And besides that scooter there seems that it is for kids.

If you wanted something for actual transportation, yet still small enough to carry around i'd look around at this site first.

They have good reviews:
  5. CmdrLaForge macrumors 68040

Feb 26, 2003
    around the world
    I have never used these things but it seems to be a interesting idea at least. Let us know what you decide.
  6. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Sep 19, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Scooters are more practical here in always-good-weather California than in all those other (read inferior) states. How fast do you expect this scooter to be? I didn't spot any claim about that. It doesn't sound very powerful, but maybe that's all you need. Will you be on level concrete or tougher terrain? I spotted this in the scooter's Technical Manual:
    I tried riding some scooters at a store on the main strip in Palm Springs (sorry, don't remember the name of the store). It was fun! I can imagine it being a useful purchase when circumstances are just right.

Finally, I've always assumed that The Sharper Image merchandise is overpriced, without actually checking, since they sell all those high-tech toys. Their retail stores certainly project that image.
  7. topicolo macrumors 68000

Jun 4, 2002
    Ottawa, ON
    wouldn't commuting with an electric scooter look really... dorky?
  8. coopdog macrumors 6502a

Oct 5, 2002
    The Great Midwest
    There is no way a moter and battery that small would be able to get you up any kind of incline and I think you would find yourself pushing a lot anyway. I would just get an unpowered one or a stronger electric model I know thoes work OK.
  9. Roger1 macrumors 65816

Jun 3, 2002
    My kids have the unpowerd version, and every time they hit anything larger than a pebble, they end up coming to a screeching halt. I can imagine what happens if your on a powered scooter, and hit a rock. IMO, these things need a larger front wheel to be useful and safer.
  10. m15t3r 8L4Ck macrumors newbie

Feb 15, 2004
    Get a Gas Scooter. Costco has gas scooters for around $400. Or go to the honda motorcycle dealership.
  11. vniow thread starter macrumors G4

Jul 18, 2002
    I accidentally my whole location.
    Thanx for the responxes everyone, that scooter site is awesome, thanx oldschool.

That one from the Sharper Image was just an example of something I was looking at, something small, light, portable and a decent range. I'm not looking at something heavy and loud so that leaves gas ones out, especially since I'd mostly be using this around populated areas, this is something I would also be taking on the bus so an electric is also preferable.

Steep hills aren't a big problem since the land is mostly flat or gradual inclines here, no biggie.

Again, thanx everyone.
  12. wdlove macrumors P6

Oct 20, 2002
    The electric scooter sounds like a great choice for you vinow. It would be very convent for you take take it on a bus since it's collapsable. I hope that you post a picture of the scooter that you purchase? ;)