Anyone here really use Bootcamp?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by alexbo, Nov 6, 2006.

1. alexbo macrumors member

I'm really interested in these macbook/macbook-pros. They are a surprisingly good value for the hardware, design, and quality... but the bottom line is that I'm just not willing to make the change to Mac software.

I know, I know, you guys are all mac software-lovers, so please just be nice to me anyway even though I'm not 'one of you.' :)

I can't stand the lack of a right click (I don't want to have to use keyboard shortcuts for that!), and I dislike apple's software in general. Itunes can't play WMA files? wtf? Then there's the fact that the whole program is designed to make Apple money by hindering filesharing. Oh, and what's the deal with Quicktime telling me that I need to buy 'Pro' if I want to use fullscreen mode? Are they kidding me? Pay money to use fullscreen?!? :confused: Then, of course, I don't want to have to deal with incompatibilities. I own a lot of programs labeled "PC DVD". I'm not gonna throw them all out, and I'm not gonna restrict myself to Apple software and games from now on.

I know you guys think it's worth it (and probably that I'm crazy to disagree), but I just don't want to deal with that stuff.

What I envision is a C2D MBP with windows vista installed on it. Thats my dream. So my question is whether that is actually a good idea or not... Will Bootcamp allow me to install Vista fresh, without installing OSX also? I don't like the idea of my operating system having to share any system resources or running in some special partition, and I don't like the idea of having my harddrive space wasted holding an OS I will never use.

I want vista, and only vista. I want vista to work on my mac-sourced hardware every bit as well as it would have worked if I installed it fresh on an equivalent PC.

Is that possible?

oh... and a P.S. Will my OSX installation key be worth anything on Craigslist? or should I write that off as a waste?

2. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

3. xfiftyfour macrumors 68030

xfiftyfour

seriously, if you're never going to USE the mac as a mac, then buy a cheaper PC. Mac lovers pay a premium for being able to use OSX and whatnot.. why would you pay that when you could get a similarly spec'd PC for cheaper?

PS: there's no OSX installation key.

4. hotboiled macrumors member

:eek: :rolleyes: :D :D :D :D :D

did you ever used osx for 1 week ?

5. Guy Incognito macrumors regular

You have nothing better to do than to troll this forum?

6. NJuul macrumors 6502

You'll have to keep OSX on a small partition, otherwise you wont be able to get upgraded windows drivers, and you'll still only have one (trackpad) button to click with in Vista. And knowing that you don't like keyboard short-cuts... :rolleyes:

Of course, if you buy a mac, you help paying for the further development of my beloved OS X, so:

You can probably find the updated windows drivers on the net (you know where), so yes, you can install Vista, and then remove OS X (probably, I haven't tried, don't see why not though). Before you install Vista, burn the Windows drivers to a CD. These a currently for XP, but lots of people have Vista running, so they probably work there as well. The latest drivers allow for "two-finger-click", which means that when you click the trackpad button with two fingers on the trackpad, it's a right click (Damn those keyboard short-cuts, eh! :cool: )
    Oh! And when you move two fingers across the trackpad... It scrolls the window! in any direction you wish!! :eek: :eek:

When you have installed Vista, it will work exactly as it would on any other PC. And there's no resale value to your OSX discs, as they are machine-specific.

7. ero87 macrumors 65816

ero87

you sound like you're trying to convince yourself that you don't want a mac, but i think you secretly do :). I mean, you are in a mac forum...

Here's what i say to you: First of all, take a breath. switching to Mac OS X is not difficult at all. In fact, you say "I just don't want to deal with that stuff." The best part about Mac OSX is that there's so much LESS to deal with! It just works, they're such a pleasure to use it's difficult to express in words (and I'm a switcher by the way).

and btw: 1. Right clicking (as said above) is possible on new MacBook/MBP trackpads, and the mouse that ships with desktops (Mighty Mouse) has a right click.
    2. There's a simple widget that plays Quicktime movies in full screen, or of course you can use VLC or a number of other players.
    3. You can convert WMA to a file compatible with iTunes. Very easy.
    4. You can use BootCamp to run your old PC software! So easy!

You should definitely search these forums for the myriad of reasons Mac OSX is right for you, but ultimately it's your choice of course. good luck!

8. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Why would you spend the extra money on a Mac only to run Windows?
    That makes no sense at all. :confused:

9. alexbo thread starter macrumors member

Ya, I know that there are ways around the problems, but I don't want to have to deal with that. I want to not have those problems in the first place. I mean, I am fully capable of getting a mac to display video in fullscreen, but its the principle of the fact that apple considers that an option that should cost extra that bothers me.

regarding:" Why would you spend the extra money on a Mac only to run Windows?
    That makes no sense at all"

I know. That's why I've never bought a mac before. BUT, the new MPB is not more expensive. It is actually very competitvely priced to Dell, Sony, HP, Acer, etc, laptops. Try finding a C2D 2.16 or 2.33 with the same specs for a lower $$$ than the MBP --I can't do it! Plus, there's the fact that the MBP is beautiful. I want it for it's apparent value (yes, even over current PC hardware) and it's design (magsafe, etc), but not it's software.

Oh, and that two finger trackpad right click/scroll thing sounds awesome. Now I want it even more... But I still want it with windows!:)

regarding: "You'll have to keep OSX on a small partition"
    Does that mean it will just waste a few gigs of storage, or does it mean that system resources will be wasted or mis-allocated, or something else that is less ideal than a fresh install?

10. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

~7gigs of a partition "wasted" on OS X.

While I'll not try too hard to defend Apple on their apparent (IYO) lack of principles, it's not like Microsoft is doing anything that differently.
    They certainly have their own questionable tactics and principles in their software offerings.

11. ero87 macrumors 65816

ero87

not getting a Mac because of the principle, that Steve Jobs wants to charge you for Quicktime Pro, seems very silly to me.

For me, getting a mac was one of the best choices i've ever made. I say get an MBP, even if you think you're only gonna use windows on it; just give OSX a try. I'd bet money you love it, and rarely use windows.

But that's my last pitch, i don't wanna be evangelical :). i know it's tough to understand how good something is when you've never used it - so use one! try it out!

12. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

First of all, I don't really understand some of the stuff you're saying. Not as in I don't understand what you're saying, but rather I don't know someone who would think that way.

Secondly, there'll be better hardware to run Vista on. My Sony SZ2VP was the better of any Apple laptop until the C2Ds came out, and even then I have a powerful machine which is extremely portable (and runs Vista just fine). And forthcoming SZ still seems to have no Apple equivalent as far as portability combined with power goes.

13. Planner Dude macrumors 6502

I'm pretty sure bootcamp allows for you to completely install windows. You physically select which system to boot up with and if you want the other you must shut down the computer and select the other. So, I think your answer would be YES, it will just waste a few gigs of storage (in your case). Parallels let's you dual boot--system resources are shared. It's for those people who need to switch back & forth through the day.

14. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

I'm in Boot Camp right now. Works perfectly, runs better than my Windows PCs even. On a MacBook.

However, I think you've got some very wrong perceptions about OS X. I'd STRONGLY recommend that you dual boot rather than throwing away OS X- after you start using OS X you'll realize what a superior OS it is.

For example;
    Same way Windows Media Player can't play Real files or protected AAC.

I fully agree that's retarded...so the solution? Don't use QuickTime! (Or use one of the various full screen Applescripts out there)

VLC works perfectly. RealPlayer (the Mac version is far superior to the Windows version IMHO) works. Even Windows Media Player for Mac works (but it sucks).
    Plug in a two button mouse, or turn on two finger right clicking (put both fingers on the touchpad and it right clicks).

Apple's software bundle of iLife '06 is quite possibly the best software bundle in existance. HD video editing software + iPhoto + iDVD etc...it really works well. You'll love it.

I don't know what the heck you're even talking about here. Apple has done nothing to hinder filesharing.

By dual booting you can keep using your old Windows software while getting adjusted to the Mac OS environment, and you'll quickly realize how superior it is.

15. prostuff1 macrumors 65816

prostuff1

Don't take this the wrong way but all your reasons for not wanting to use OS X are not all that valid.

I don't much like quicktime anyway. I much prefer VLC because it plays almost everything.

I believe iTunes on windows can import and convert WMA files to mp3 or AAC. You said WTF about iTunes not being about to play WMA but the same goes for Windows Media Player not being able to play AAC. I think there are plugins but then again its the principle right??

well technically speaking file sharing music is illegal so...

You also complain about apple software a lot. I would really like to know why!! I find that most of the software apple puts out is very good. Not to mention it comes on every new mac. Of the programs that come free with a mac you would have to spend some money just to get the same things on a windows pc.

Personally, i think that if you are not going to try using OSX then you areoff finding a PC.

16. islandman macrumors 6502

I'm not sure why you'd bother buying Mac hardware, only to run Windows and nothing Mac-oriented. But yes, I suppose you could make Bootcamp the only option.

17. alexbo thread starter macrumors member

Yes, I know filesharing is illegal, and yes, it is what I was referring to about not liking Itunes. I was trying to not start a tangent about the morality of filesharing!

So you guys feel pretty strongly about OSX huh? I guess it would have been better if I had just asked my question about bootcamp without mentioning the reasons why I want to use windows! The reasons are like an open invitation for argument. haha.

I believe you that OSX is great once you are into it. But don't you think there's any merit to the idea that it might be better for me to not have to learn a different OS? After all, the advantages of OSX over XP are not very relevant to the differences between it and Vista, which is what I am considering.

Am I seriously the only person to consider getting a MBP for the hardware, but who also wants to avoid the big software-change headache and just stick it out with Microsoft and their shiny new OS? I really didn't expect to get so many "you're crazy! That's completely insane!" replies! :D

18. diehldun macrumors 6502a

It's not that hard to use OSX...

No offense, but IMO switching from PC to OSX is waaaay over-exaggerated, and there was no (for me) "headache" at all. It literally took me only a few hours to get completely comfortable and used to it. Looking back, I have NEVER regretted switching, and can't possibly imagine myself using a PC again. :)

19. miniguu macrumors regular

I would just get the Macbook/Pro if you like it and can afford it. It truly is the best of both worlds, being able to boot into OS X and Windows.
    Also agree with the above poster that switching to OS X is not as hard as you'd think. And with dual-booting, you can always "dabble" in OS X when you get sick of Windows.

20. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Seems like you don't either.

This is one of the cases that is "supposed" to grow Apple's hardware base, why complain about it unless you are a troll.

Nothing wrong with buying a Mac to run Windows only these days, it isn't like OS X is your only OS choice.

The new Macs are after all PCs, that can run Mac OS X.

21. adrianblaine macrumors 65816

adrianblaine

I don't have time to sit here and tell you all the wonderful things about OS X, so I'll just offer one piece of info to at least keep in mind.

Bootcamp is still in Beta right now. The final version won't be out until Leopard comes out next Spring. If you switch to an Apple computer right now, you'll be running beta software for several months. In order to have the full version of Bootcamp, you will not only need to purchase Vista, but Leopard as well. That's a lot of money on top of an already expensive laptop. The only way getting an Apple is worth it is to use OS X (+ Windows), not just Windows.

22. Scarlet Fever macrumors 68040

Scarlet Fever

others have decided to do exactly what you plan on doing, but end up switching completely over to Mac OS from just a few hours experience.

And one reason they are saying you are "crazy" and "insane" is because you give very trivial reasons why you don't like Mac OS. No offence meant, but if you are going to say its a bad OS, at least have a few hours experience to make your point stronger. :)

By all means, get the MBP, but at least give OS X a try before abandoning it completely. Its definitely a change from Windows, but its a lot easier to switch than you may have heard. There are reasons why a lot of us love our computers :D

23. mahonmeister macrumors 6502

Go for it! Even if you only buy it for looks and the neat hardware features.

But make sure it is truly worth the money first. I agree that Apple has great prices for the models but they have vastly less to choose from. You might be able to find a computer that is more specific to your needs.

But if the MacBook Pro is the hardware you want/need then bust out that credit card and enjoy.

24. Guy Incognito macrumors regular

Point taken, although I would argue that my error was taking the troll-bait. Still, the original poster's comments about Quicktime, WMA(?!), and file-sharing are at best irrelevant, and seem designed deliberately to incite argument. I applaud the patience and good faith which with the members of this forum have addressed them.

25. Navintar macrumors member

Seriously, you would have known how to work with OS X by now, If you just started doing it 6 hours ago before beginning this discussion.