Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
L

Lau

I still use my 35mm Pentax SLR, my Holga 120, Polaroids and a few random others, although sadly not nearly as often as I used to now I've got digital. I still think the look of a film print is much softer and nicer overall, and especially when you're on the kind of budget I am.

Sideonecincy

macrumors 6502
Sep 29, 2003
I shoot with a Nikon f100 every once and a while, but my problem with film is i dont end up getting it developed for months after i shoot it...im lazy

ksz

macrumors 68000
Oct 28, 2003
USA
Sideonecincy said:
I shoot with a Nikon f100 every once and a while, but my problem with film is i dont end up getting it developed for months after i shoot it...im lazy
I'm guilty of the same thing, but it's not because of laziness. It is because of a partially shot roll. If a 36-exposure roll is only half exposed, for instance, I will leave it in the camera.

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia
ksz said:
I'm guilty of the same thing, but it's not because of laziness. It is because of a partially shot roll. If a 36-exposure roll is only half exposed, for instance, I will leave it in the camera.

Medium Format will maybe cure that. I have always lusted for a Hassleblad 500/501 series.

ksz

macrumors 68000
Oct 28, 2003
USA
Mamiya is throwing in the towel. Some say Hassleblad may follow. I haven't lusted for medium format because the equipment is not nearly as sexy as 35mm -- but I have always wanted to make poster-size prints. Alas, 13x19 will have to do for now (think Canon PIXMA Pro 9500, which should go on sale soon)!!

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia
ksz said:
Mamiya is throwing in the towel. Some say Hassleblad may follow. I haven't lusted for medium format because the equipment is not nearly as sexy as 35mm -- but I have always wanted to make poster-size prints. Alas, 13x19 will have to do for now (think Canon PIXMA Pro 9500, which should go on sale soon)!!

To be fair, Mamiya sought another buyer. How this will play out is to be seen.

Sure FF digital has eaten in on the market share. But the higher costs in doing MF digital play a part for now.

I shot with a Bronica ETRsi until September 11th, 2001. I used it for some class assignments. I and my classmates were amazed at the difference compared to 35mm.

In some samples I have seen, this holds true today. The difference is that to do MF digital one needs $10K to $20K.

I still want a Hassy for the nostalgia, but also for the square format.

Some of my best images from SF last summer worked best in the square format.

Attachments

• penn contest4_web.jpg
    penn contest4_web.jpg
    120 KB · Views: 92
  • penn contest 7_web.jpg
    penn contest 7_web.jpg
    126.5 KB · Views: 80

ksz

macrumors 68000
Oct 28, 2003
USA
Chip/Clix, you're making me drool! Mamiya was offering aggressive pricing on their 4x5 bodies and lenses a couple of years ago and I nearly jumped in. Mind you, it wasn't the equipment that made me drool, but the prospect of a whole new level of image quality, much like standard-definition TV versus high-definition. But the whole proposition was too expensive: the body, the lenses, and the film. Still hoping Nikon introduces a FF sensor some time in the next 2 years.

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia
ksz said:
Chip/Clix, you're making me drool! Mamiya was offering aggressive pricing on their 4x5 bodies and lenses a couple of years ago and I nearly jumped in. Mind you, it wasn't the equipment that made me drool, but the prospect of a whole new level of image quality, much like standard-definition TV versus high-definition. But the whole proposition was too expensive: the body, the lenses, and the film. Still hoping Nikon introduces a FF sensor some time in the next 2 years.

Thanks. But t honest, and repeating myself. but the images I posted were done with a Canon Rebel XT. Just a different POV.

crazydreaming

macrumors 6502a
Lately I've been doing a mixture if you ask me. I shoot film, but then I've been scanning the negatives and editing them in photoshop and then printing.

It's a bit faster for me then spending hours in the darkroom. I also like the idea of putting a good image on every piece of paper, instead of wasting a few sheets to get one print.

Attonine

macrumors 6502a
Feb 15, 2006
Kent. UK
I currently have a Contax RTS II and Aria with Zeiss 28-70, 50 f1.4, 21 f2.8 and 80-200 f4 MM lenses. I bought a Lumix something a year ago, just because it was cheap and had a Leica lens, plus I had been hearing some good things about them, and it gave me a chance to play around with digital. I use the Lumix just for fun point and shoot stuff, instant results with friends etc. If I travel I take the Contax Kit.

I am contantly looking for a digital SLR option, but I haven`t found anything yet which I think is perfect for my needs.

With film cameras, the tendancy is to keep them (the bodies) for years, the image quality (the most important thing...right?) is in the lens and film combination. I am concerned about the longevity of digital SLR bodies. Development is still very fast, with important elements improving with each generation. These improvements are often in areas which effect image quality directly. I constantly read reviews about superb cameras which are let down by imaging software or firmware.

I am sure I will buy a DSLR eventually, but they need to mature a bit longer before I will be confident about trading in and making the leap. I know there are good cameras out there, and both pros and amatures who get by very comfortably with them. I just want to make a good decision that will not cost me a lot of extra money down the road because technology has moved on so much.

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
Chip NoVaMac said:
I still want a Hassy for the nostalgia, but also for the square format.

Some of my best images from SF last summer worked best in the square format.

Oh, these are super, Chip! Yes, you are right -- they look great in the square format; it really sets each of them off. The vividly colored flowers are beautiful, but that one of the seal is most excellent! The square cropping and framing suits it perfectly.

Yes, it took a little getting-used to when shooting medium format in that square format, but I liked it. My biggest problem came with remembering to pull out the dark slide! LOL!!! Got to the point that in class everyone would chant, "DARK SLIDE, DARK SLIDE!" before I'd get ready to shoot. LOL!

JeffTL

macrumors 6502a
Dec 18, 2003
I still shoot quite a bit with a Canon AE-1, which is equipped with the 50mm Canon FD lens it came with and, at present, a roll of Kodak High Definition, a fine-grain 400 ASA film. Only the aperture is automatic; I set my own shutter speed and actually rather enjoy manual focusing.

I also use a Kodak DX3600 2.2MP digital, but the AE-1 has the very strong advantage of being an SLR; parallax really bugs me.

Crawn2003

macrumors 6502
Jul 8, 2005
Santa Rosa, California
Both, Nikon D70s & D200 and medium format cameras (either 4x5 or 8x10) but mostly for commercial stuff.

Polaroids are costing more and more and Kodak just recently hiked their prices again so maybe I'll start looking into Mamiya Medium Format with digital backs.....

~Crawn

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.