Anyone here take tae kwon do??

Discussion in 'Community' started by G5orbust, Oct 14, 2002.

1. G5orbust macrumors 65816

G5orbust

if you do, tell me waht belt and where.

Im just starting it and im just curious who has done it here if i need any help.

2. alex_ant macrumors 68020

alex_ant

I took tae kwon do classes back when I was a wee lad, inspired if I remember correctly by the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. I got up to a yellow stripe on my white belt, which is one step above nothing at all. The "master" of my "school" was sort of an extortionist, though... it cost $75 every time you wanted to try out to increase your rank. But even if I didn't get any fancy belts or badges, I got to break two boards, and I got very limber.

3. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

I took tae kwon do when I was in elementary school, and then I took kung fu for a year and a half. I have taken about 2 and a half years of martial arts all in all. BTW I much prefer kung fu to tae kwon do. I would write why but my sister has to get on the comp :eek: ...

4. davidc2182 macrumors regular

hey y'all

high blue belt in tae kwon do here :) i loved it! i just slacked off and got chubby, but i'm on my way to being skinny again! i'll never get my blackbelt because you need to goto tournaments and get fighting experience before you can try out before a grand master and i don't like to spar even if is just for sh*t and giggles.

5. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

i studied a little jujitsu

and then a combination jujitsu, karate, judo

overall, i do not believe in belts and i like the way bruce lee trained with street clothes and shoes and also incorporating methods from different disciplines

he knew no one discipline had it all

from what i have seen, any one of those disciplines has the ability to inflict great damage on another person, so one must be very careful with the knowledge they receive from any martial arts training

i think some movies are irresponsible with how they show the martial arts where one gets nailed over and over and keeps on getting up as if nothing happened to them...jackie chan

but the guy really gets hurt quite a lot doing his own stuff and a lot of his own stunts but i have to admit, the guy is an amazing martial artist and funny to boot...the rush hours were great movies and i look forward to his screen presence with jennifer love hewitt:D

6. Gelfin macrumors 68020

Gelfin

I've taken a bit of TKD at UCSF (about four terms worth). I have my yellow belt, and was working up to my green belt test, but as summer approached work got crazy and I couldn't keep up with class. Now I'm all out of shape and need to get some basic exercise before I can sign up again. *sigh*

7. vniow macrumors G4

I'll bet it's nothing compared to my Jeniffer Love Hewitt sex dreams.;) :p :D

8. Goblin2099 macrumors member

I've taken tae kwon do for about ten years now, I'm a second degree black belt. I find it almost impossible to discuss with people from other schools, let alone other disciplines completely...there are various incarnations of tae kwon do, and few people know which they're practicing. The style I learned is called Chung Do Kwan, which is the oldest and has been altered the least over the years (or at least that was how it was described to me, I haven't personally done any research).

9. barkmonster macrumors 68020

barkmonster

Started when I 17, had a lame job that interfered with being able to go very often, I quit when I nearly 18 'cos I was sick of being worse than the people who'd started at the same time as me. I never went back and now my mate who started the same days as me is 2nd DAN and taken over the class since the original instructor left town.

So I can say I did it, but I certainly regret not going back for so long, I've got a seriously high metabalism and always have had so martial arts is really the only the thing the would be worth pursuing purely for the exercise. I've been about 9 stone since I was 16 or so, I'm 25 now and I've seen no signs of even getting a beer gut yet, let alone having anything like the weight I'd need to work out at the gym like so many of my friends do.

Maybe I'll go back one day, I enjoyed it a lot and I'd recommend it to anyone who hasn't got something work or home related that could stop you from training often enough. Saying that I would have gone back years ago if I didn't have to buy the damn suit before I decided to do it :D

10. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

it's all about shanghai noon and shanghai knights.. of course, maybe that's the owen wilson in me talking. ha

jackie's great... funny as crap.

11. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

My kung fu teacher told me to never use my elephant kung fu on anyone because it is really easy to kill someone because of the shape of the fist. I really want to learn monkey kung fu. I love that style and have watched it a lot, but I can't find a place where I live that teaches that style.

Bruce Lee was such a good fighter in real life, that is basically the only reason I like him. I hate his way of fighting though, it is effective, but all his hight pitched yells annoy me :D.

For all you kung fu movie obsessed people out there (like me :D) I have to recommend the movie Wing Chun (with Michelle Yeoh - I love her), it is very good. But if you haven't seen Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon then SEE IT! It is the best movie ever made. Iron monkey is good too. ANd the 1979 version of The Drunken Master.

:rolleyes:

12. Bman macrumors newbie

Tae Kwon Do.

Just thought to let you guys know. You need to chose a martial Art that not only is reputable, but also suits your own personality. What are you looking for? A self defence or an aggressive style?
    I've found tae kwon do (TKD) to have the best range of Kicking techniques of all the martial arts. It has almost any type of kick that you could want. The one thing that lets TKD down is its lack of hand technique.
    I've found the chinese style such as Wing Chun or Wu Shu to have a better all round teaching.
    Also, not only are you training and teaching the body. You should be doing the same to the your mind and spirit. Of course all of this is also dependant on having a Teacher (sensei or sifu) who CAN teach.

I teach Tae Kwon Do, have a 2nd Dan in Tae Kwon Do, and have a Black Belt (or Equivilant) in Wu Shu.

Just a few words.... hope it helps.

13. G5orbust thread starter macrumors 65816

G5orbust

wow i never knew we had such a trained group here at MR.

Im personally testing for my yellow tonight.. in actually about 30 minutes :cool:

I also did a style a karate called Wa Shin Ryu. Its a type of shotokan. I got prettyy high (purple, or the 13th belt) and i quit because the instructors were all asses and everyone hated eachother. In TDK, its like the exact opposite and i love it... well i gotta go ill see you guys later

14. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

I've enjoyed some Kendo, Karate, and Judo.

I hope that the instructor is good G5orbust. I've seen a Chung Moo Do instructor pass students who couldn't do the tests because their parents fought over it.

Btw, I was walking through a mall one day and I saw "skillful husband" in Chinese characters on the back of someone's jacket. I was very curious as to why someone would have a jacket made like that. I did some digging and found out that skillful husband is pronounced Kung Fu. :D

15. G5orbust thread starter macrumors 65816

G5orbust

yea my master is really good. 5th dan black belt from south korea (not a hand me down white guy, but a native korean) and he teaches all the classes and has been traininf for 17 years. Our do jang ( or dojo for karate people) is realtively small, with about 75 members.

16. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

actually, there are a lot of great and wonderful white, hispanic, middle eastern, and african american instructors out there

being asian american, specifically okinawan, i understand that the asian martial artists in every form have held back and not taught the white man the true art/religion/philosophy of martial arts

it is probably one of the closest guarded secrets in the world that asia jealously keeps from the rest of the world

my sensei and his sensei are white and hispanic, respectively, and hold first dan and tenth dan in jujitsu (the latter is the highest ranking jujitsu teacher that is not japanese)

when they went to the headquarters of their form of jujitsu in japan for the first time, they saw a completely different art...they could not believe how clean the movements were

the founder of the art explained this was the chi or ki that was used and something that is not fully employed in western martial arts

as much as some well meaning asians are in wanting to unravel the whole spiritual side of the art to the west, they won't unless they want to be banished from the community of real masters in asia

being asian, it is a matter or face, or pride, and not something easily understood by a non asian

the best thing i can give is an analogy...an american ceo wants to work to get the highest pay and will fight to the end to save his job and will easily fire lower employees to steer blame from him and up his salary

a japanese ceo will take the company on as his family and if there is a screw up, he will take the blame, often not directly his fault, and resign from his position and make an honorable apology publicly

it is one of the things we studied in mba school and saw it as a model for future american mbas and ceos for the future

another analogy is of the karate kid, where miagi, the humble gardener (spitting image of my okinawan grandfather) taught the "real" martial arts to the kid who ends up winning the tournament...and when the kid asked what kind of belt miagi wore, he said something like, "sears, $1.99"

my grandfather was a real martial artist and the only belt he wore was the one to hold up his pants...think that way and one will start to understand chi/ki;)

17. G5orbust thread starter macrumors 65816

G5orbust

i completely understand where you are coming from. I know that because Im not asian (im white) taht it seems like i could never really understand. But since ive made freidns with many people who are very proud of beign asian, tehy have shown me asian cultrue, both modern and past. I find it very interesting and taht is why I take martial arts, really so i can immerse myself in asian culture, not jsut becasue i can say im a black belt or anything of the sort. I also bond with asians a lot better tahn I do with other white people because (i know this may be a generalization) most like waht i like: computers, souped up cars and i can carry on an intelligent conversation with them.

I think the belt system was only invented to keep the separation between the student and the master prevelant. Different colors really symbolize the differnce in skill between students and are jsut really a trasition type deal, that why at my TKD do-jang, we dont really call anyone sir except fro those who wear black belt and masters. The only true belts are white and black, as far as Ive heard. White is the symbol of beginning and black is the symbol of hard work and commitment and shows that you have earned the right to wear it.

18. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

That's really kewl. Many times, I find myself explaining something to a white person and they give me a blank stare. Then, when I try to explain further, I run up against concepts which have no translation in English (maybe no western language) and stop and excuse myself.

19. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

in japanese martial arts, the belt thing is a circular zen concept (from the book, "zen and the martial arts") where one starts with a white belt and as the student learns and practices more and is thrown on the mat over and over the belt gets dirty

after so many years, the belt turns black and the student has learned all the basics

as he progresses more into the art the belt gets really worn and starts to unravel and turn white again...the same color he started with

at that point the student has come full circle and has become a master...but a master with a humble tattered white belt

in the end the lesson learned by a master is being humble above all

20. G5orbust thread starter macrumors 65816

G5orbust

bravo great story. Great moral behind it too

21. 3rdpath macrumors 68000

3rdpath

2nd star on the right and straight till morning
    i never took any formal TKD lessons but my older brother took for many years...he used to spar with me ( whether i wanted to or not... ) and i guess i got pretty good since he only sent me to the hospital once....:)

it served him well since he knocked-out some knife-waving ex-con who broke into his loft. my brother matter-of-factly stated(he's pretty soft-spoken and shy) "well, first i kicked him in the head here...then he pulled a knife so i kicked him into that wall there....when he wouldn't drop the knife, i hit him over that table..then i put him thru the glass front door, dragged him back inside and called 911...) the police thought it was too funny.

theres a lot to be said for knowing some self-defense.

22. Angelus macrumors 6502

Hey,
    I've a 1st Dan Black belt in Tae Kwon Do.I started when i was 10(i'm now 18) but i stopped training about 2 years ago,i injured my leg sparring and can't really spar anymore.shame cos i'd a beautiful spinning back hooking kick.Anyway now i'm doing Tai Chi in college

23. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

Taking Tai Chi while taking other kung fu styles helps a lot. I took tai chi while taking kung fu, and it really helps you out in every category. Control and balance mostly.

24. G5orbust thread starter macrumors 65816

G5orbust

hey guys, I passed my yellow belt test! Just thought I'd let ya know...

25. bousozoku Moderator emeritus