anyone here taking ap tests next week?

Discussion in 'Community' started by funkywhat2, Apr 30, 2004.

1. funkywhat2 macrumors 6502a

funkywhat2

who here is taking ap tests over the next two weeks? i've got four of them:

5/3:english language
    5/4: computer science
    5/7: american history
    5/10: biology

they're all in the morning, so i get the day off after i come back (well, not really, but i don't count philosophy as a class.) there's a girl in my bio class who's taking six of them; two days with two tests each. and then there are the people taking the sat tomorrow and the tests next week. i really wish you could choose when to take them, but oh well :rolleyes:

2. Neserk macrumors 6502a

Neserk

Not until the 17 and 18 of May.

Edit: Oops... Thought we were talking finals. Missed the AP part. :eek:

3. reaper macrumors 6502

You should be glad you aren't taking AP Calc... just kidding. Good luck guys! :)

- reaper

4. funkywhat2 thread starter macrumors 6502a

funkywhat2

i'm taking it next year. are you taking it now? ab or bc?

5. reaper macrumors 6502

I was actually just pointing out... ah, nm. Anyway, I am two years out of college. My AP days are over, unfortunately.

- reaper

6. Kwyjibo macrumors 68040

Kwyjibo

Ap tests were pretty easy, I was an AP scholar my seniro year, not that it means much but it was nice to write on schoalrship apps.

Just keep in mind you probably need a 4 or 5 to get credit at most universities. I look Macro, Micro, US history, US Gov't, and Calc Bc, I started college with like 21 hours of credit and got rid of many of the BS freshman weed out classes and no early morning econ. In fact my first semester had no friday classes and thats typically unheard of here. I could have taken AP euro, but I didn't need it ...

7. x86isslow macrumors 6502a

I took four Junior year- US History, World History, Biology and Govt. , this year, I'm taking four more this year.

if i end up doing well this year, i get ~36 credits upon entry at UMass/Amherst in the fall. :)

I'm taking European History, English Lit, English Language, and Psych this year.

Good Luck to everyone else here taking them!

8. Krizoitz macrumors 6502a

Krizoitz

Ahhh good old AP tests. I remember those, they were actually fun.

9. sinbushar macrumors regular

yeah, i actually enjoyed them, they made those classes really enjoyable from after the test to late-june when school got out...

my junior year: chem, stat
    my senior year (last year): bio, phys B, BC calc

total: 32 credits at UC-Boulder -> sophomore standing...it really does pay off...plus...you get to hang out with other dorks...total awesomeness

-adel

10. baby duck monge macrumors 68000

baby duck monge

ah yes, the days of the AP exams. i took a few of those in my time...

english comp
    english lit
    american history
    physics
    calc (ab)
    bio
    gov't

they were fun. kinda. actually, the exams really weren't that bad. and the rewards you get later for doing well are quite nice.

good luck to everyone that has to take them!

11. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

i never took any ap classes or tests. i opted for taking actual college classes. they weren't a year long, and i didnt have to take a test and score a 4 or a 5 to get some credit. i think right now i will go into school next year about a semester ahead, and if my summer doesnt fill up i may take more classes.

iJon

12. Neserk macrumors 6502a

Neserk

I took AP Biology. I elected not to take the test, though. I don't really remember why. I was 15/16 at the time. The class was awesome. One of the most interesting science courses I've taken. I'm glad I didn't take the test. If I had taken it I would have not needed to take Astronomy in college. Instead, I got to take a second awesome class in college.

I can see taking the AP courses in your major (Ie if you are biology major getting to skip Biology 101) but if someone is doing it to waive a subject area (like I would have) then I wouldn't recommend it.

What is the big hurry to finish college anyway?

13. Freg3000 macrumors 68000

Freg3000

Yep, English Lang on Monday, U.S. History on Friday, and Physics B next Monday.

Next year will be hell though.....seven tests in total. :eek:

14. Angelus macrumors 6502

What exactly are these AP tests?
    My end of year university exams are starting next week alright.
    10 exams over 3 weeks and then i have the summer to myself.
    To be honest i'm delighted this year is over, it was chronic.
    Next year we start our hospital rotations and actually get to interact with patients.

15. Jimong5 macrumors 6502

I took AP Psych last year(got a 4), and my senior year, this year, Is US History. psych seemed easy, but history seems a bit trickier.

16. Krizoitz macrumors 6502a

Krizoitz

AP stands for Advanced Placement, they are tests you can take while still in high-school that most Universities recognize and will give you college credits for. There is a similar program called IB or International Baccalaureate. The general set up is that the school offers a course aimed at students who plan on taking the tests, then in the spring offer the tests themselves, proctored by non-teachers usually. It is possible to take an AP test not having taken the class, however you better know your stuff!

Another option is a program called Running Start which allows you to actually attend classes at local community colleges while in High School and therefore earn college credit, which is what iJon was referring too.

Basically its a way to offer kids who are college bound a chance to get a head start and save some money by getting some of the more basic courses out of the way while still in high school. All three programs have a small fee associated but its far less than the cost of taking the class at a University.

Running Start is a great option for students who don't have many connections to their high school community, the ones who don't feel like they fit in. Often times my friends and acquaintances who did that found social groups at the community college to hang out with.

AP/IB is great for those of us who were more involved in high school, in my case becasuse of sports and band Running Start just wasn't practical.

17. baby duck monge macrumors 68000

baby duck monge

for most people it is not a hurry to finish college, it's a way to be able to take more electives once you're in college or to skip over some of the more boring and tedious lower-lever requirements. just because you have enough credits to start off as a sophomore doesn't mean that you are going to only take 3 years to finish. of course, it is also nice to have a buffer if you want to go off campus or take a term off or something (just to insure that you don't fall behind).

18. Kwyjibo macrumors 68040

Kwyjibo

It also saves costs, finishing in 3.5 semesters is cheaper than 4 semesters and not everyone has cash to throw around.

19. MacFan26 macrumors 65816

MacFan26

I took Physics, English lit, French, Bio, and US History. Unfortunately, I missed getting credit always by one point. Oh well, I don't really care because english and history were my favorite classes in high school and I had great teachers. I also tested out of taking French in college, which was good, even though I didn't actually get credits for it.

Computer Science wasn't offered at my high school, what is that like?
    Good luck to everyone that is taking them :) :)

20. Krizoitz macrumors 6502a

Krizoitz

Its alot of basic theory mostly, nothing too fancy. Basic data structures, search algorithms, recurrence, etc.

When I took it my senior year it was the first year they were doing it only in C++ instead of both C++ and Pascal. My AP teacher had for years taught in Pascal, didn't know C++ at all, so that summer he picked up a curriculum from another teacher and learned as we did, trying to stay one step ahead of us. Too bad we caught up to him occaisionally and passed him once or twice :) Made the class more fun, he was more of an advisor than a lecturer that way. He knew the theory stuff really well, it was just the actual coding that he had to relearn

21. Neserk macrumors 6502a

Neserk

I'm all for more electives.... or for going overseas or North/South for different education... you have the rest of your life to work... enjoy your college years!

22. Neserk macrumors 6502a

Neserk

I know I certainly didn't. Don't they make you pay for the credits anyhow? When I was in college a zillion years ago you still had to pay for the credits. You didn't have to take the classes...

23. MacFan26 macrumors 65816

MacFan26

That's interesting that it's C++ and Pascal. In my college intro classes we've only worked with Java.

24. Krizoitz macrumors 6502a

Krizoitz

Well my senior year was five years ago and Pascal was last used in 1998. My guess is they probably use C++ and Java now. I guess Java is ok for intro because its an Object Oriented Language and has a pretty easy graphics library to use (Microsoft Foundation Classes are CRAP) but as far as actually productivity I'd shy away from java, for most things its just too slow because of the added virtual machine layer.

I'm really liking what I have got so far looking into Objective-C, its a really slick language.