Anyone here use saliva to clean their ibook/pb?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by WillMak, Sep 20, 2005.

1. macrumors 6502a

I usually dab my finger in my own saliva and wipe in on my ibook screen to clean off stains or oils. It hasn't been working too well recently. Anyone suggest any other alternatives?

2. Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Alternatives? Non-body-secreted fluids such as Windex? :p

3. thread starter macrumors 6502a

windex is safe for lcds? sweet. damn I don't have in the house. Can I just use water and a rag?

4. Moderator emeritus

mad jew

I'll have people running after me with flaming torches and axes, but I always clean my screen by spraying a tiny bit of Windex onto a very soft cloth (one without pith) and then wipe the screen. Apparently it wipes the protective coating off the LCD though. :(

I've never had any problems. :)

5. thread starter macrumors 6502a

huh? I didn't even know the lcd had a protective coating...oh no, does saliva or water kill this protective coating as well?

6. Moderator emeritus

mad jew

I guess saliva would, but I don't know about water. My oldest LCD is three years and it's fine, after cleaning it with Windex about once every three months or so. :)

7. macrumors 68040

California

Saliva is a digestive enzyme.

It is the start of the intensive digestive process in your stomach.

You know, what breaks down meat, celery, broccoli, powerbars, etc., in your stomach.

Why it "isn't working too well lately" on your pb ibooks?

Because it is trying to break down the plastics/paints/metals/lcd screen that you're rubbing your spit on.

STOP IT. NOW!!!

Apple suggests pure water on a soft cloth for cleaning LCDs etc. This is a much more stable and neutral fluid.

Reminds me of my dad, who pee'd into house plants when my mom wasn't looking.

Killed 'em.

That's what you are doing to the shine and finish of your computers with saliva. There's also bacteria in saliva that I wouldn't want anywhere near my computer. But that's just me.

8. macrumors 6502a

chucknorris

Heretic! String up the heretic! This musn't stand!!!!!

9. macrumors 65816

neocell

Nice, too much information. I almost pissed myself laughing :D :D :D

10. thread starter macrumors 6502a

I don't think saliva can really breakdown celery and glucose. Aren't those foods made up of glucose beta monomers? Can saliva really hurt the screen since it's not really a monosaccharide?

edit: I mean polysacchire (the lcd that is)

11. macrumors 68000

nomad01

I'm just sucking my screen now so I'll let you know shortly.

12. macrumors 65816

neocell

First, celery has beta linkages, which we can't break without the help of our little GI friends, or some beano. Glucose is a monomer so no breakage needed. We have alpha amylase in our saliva so it breaks down dextrose, sucrose (ie dimers or more). There are also salivary proteases, lipases and nucleases so you get basically everything in a nice gobby lugie. Everyone just likes to assume that all our salivary glands are for is producing amylase and swelling when we get the kissing disease.

13. macrumors 68040

California

Okay, try this. Roll around a piece of celery in your mouth for a few minutes. What do you have when you take it out? Yeah, the digestive enzymes in saliva have started to break it down into mush.

As for spit on my LCD screen? I'm not going to sacrifice my screen to find out.

14. macrumors 65816

neocell

I should have been clearer in my post by saying that the cellulose in celery is beta-linkages so we can't digest that aspect of it. There's still protein and lipids and what not that our little salivary doozers can chomp through.

15. Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Okay, this thread is hysterical. :D

I wouldn't worry too much about the protective layer on LCDs too much. What you can't see, you won't miss. :p

16. macrumors 68040

California

Oh yeah, I remember -- maybe celery was a bad choice for an example because I don't think it can really be totally digested by the stomach.

But for a good example of how powerful digestive enzymes are, my sister once had a cat who had swallowed a penny. That little kitty's enzymes ATE A HOLE RIGHT THROUGH IT.

I don't want anything that has to do with digestive juice on my 'puters. Sorry!

17. Moderator emeritus

mad jew

So these celery-based PowerBooks, do they get as hot as the aluminium ones? I don't particularly care for boiled vegetables. :eek:

18. thread starter macrumors 6502a

hehe. are you two premeds also?

19. macrumors 68040

California

Celery based powerbooks? Mad Jew, that could be a new great idea. Translucent, too!

20. macrumors 68040

California

No, that would be my dad, the surgeon, who did chemical experiments on our house plants.

21. thread starter macrumors 6502a

your dads a surgeon????sweet. which part of california are you from?

22. macrumors 65816

neocell

That is sweet. A pot piss'n surgeon for a father :D

23. macrumors 68040

California

Southern. Private practice/also taught at USC.

But my dad died a few years back. Miss him. And all those dead house plants. He would've appreciated this post, he was a chemist at heart, and his "pot piss'n" endeavors were the least sophisticated thing about him.

24. macrumors 65816

neocell

Sounds like he was a fun guy to hang around with. Sorry for your loss

25. macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Man, I HATE! it when people just assume that. Every time I overhear a saliva conversation at the café, I just know they're going to mention amylase, but completely disregard the role of proteases and nucleases. They just don't know the whole story like you or I.