Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

WillMak

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 29, 2005
Just curious. I've seen a lot of "best case" type posts in the forum. I originally used cases to protect my older ipods but decided to not get a case to save money (I treat all my gadgets like trash anyways). so far I've been pleasantly surprised at the sturdyness of the ipod touch's structure and glass screen. No scratches anywhere! Although the aluminum back has scratches, but that doens't interfere with anything.

am I the only one who doesn't keep in in a case?

acedew

macrumors member
Oct 23, 2008
I love using mine without a case. I have lots of small scratches on the back, but none on the screen. I keep it in a pocket that never has anything else in it. I almost dropped it on cement the other day, though, so I'm now considering getting a case. :(

kshat28

macrumors member
Jun 4, 2008
I don't use a case. I like how it looks without and don't see the point of why it is so thin if you just put a clunky case on it.

neilp4453

macrumors regular
Oct 16, 2007
When I first got my touch (and now iPhone), I refused to use either of them due to fingerprints and scratchng until a case arrived.

I don't use a actual hard case but I use the silicone variation and a screen protector. They are very cheap online anyway (get both for under 10bucks shipped...meritline is a great place to start looking).

My iphone is currently sitting around because I refuse to take it everywhere without a case.

quick5pnt0

macrumors regular
Sep 14, 2008
No case here. Like I said in another forum I've always felt those big bulky cases are like when Grandma puts plastic on the furniture so it doesn't get dirty. Sure it'll never get dirty but then again you'll never get to enjoy it either. A thin silicone cover is OK, but even that isn't needed.

This isn't a family heirloom. I say just enjoy it before it is completely outdated.

SnowLeopard2008

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2008
Silicon Valley
I dont have a case. Dropped it twice on the floor, both times it landed on the glass. No scratches, just dirt and dust etc. It's very sturdy... my friend's Zune cracked and fell apart when he dropped it from about a foot or so from his desk.

x86isslow

macrumors 6502a
Aug 10, 2003
USA
i had the guys at the Zagg booth put on the invisible shield on mine, though i miss the sleeves apple used to ship with the old u2 iPods.

OrangeDog

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2008
Sometimes you have to ask yourself....Why worry?

The thing is a piece of technology that was made to be used. And lets face it, they're going to be obsolete faster than they become ruined.

bndoarn

macrumors 6502a
Mar 16, 2008
i used to use a silicon case that had a place on the back to wrap my headphones but one time i took it off to clean the case and my ipod and i liked how it felt without the case so i just left it off.

student_trap

macrumors 68000
Mar 14, 2005
'Ol Smokey, UK
i stopped using permanent cases for my ipods years ago. After a while it just seemed kind of pointless, i mean, i get a new ipod every year or so, so i figured that why should i remove one of my favourite parts of owning an ipod...its looks! Now they pretty much all stay uncased, yeah they get scratched, but they get very well used, and i prefer it that way.

Most recently though i have been very impressed by the ipod socks. For me they offer a really nice mix of light protection, a nice apple branded logo, bright colours (i use the orange on my touch), and also enable you to pull the ipod out when you use it...the perfect blend: they protect but dont hide the ipod away!:)

old-wiz

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2008
West Suburban Boston Ma
I haven't decided on a case. I keep it in a shirt pocket secured with a button. I looked at cases in the Apple store and they run $25-35, which seems excessive for a piece of silicon. The Rebel Touch looks interesting, but MyGearSstore wants $9.95 for 5 day shipping. I don't think so.

acedew

macrumors member
Oct 23, 2008
i had the guys at the Zagg booth put on the invisible shield on mine, though i miss the sleeves apple used to ship with the old u2 iPods.

If you're talking about the black suede sleeves (my old iPod Video came with one), you can get one here:

http://www.sfbags.com/products/ipodsuedejacket/ipodsuedejacket.htm

I like them because they provide a little bit of protection and grip, but I still get to use my iPod the way it was intended. Looks like it's $16 shipped for the version without a pocket. A nice alternative to the socks if that's not your thing.

m1stake

macrumors 68000
Jan 17, 2008
Philly
No case for me. Why make it fat and ugly? Also, I bought a 2 year warranty through my work that covers any and all damage for $20.

Cameront9

macrumors 6502a
Aug 6, 2006
No Case here, either. I've sat on it twice, still fine. However, I mainly use the iPod in the car, so it doesn't get that much wear and tear. I would like to get a small sleeve to slip it in when I put in in the glove box, though, in order to reduce the amount of scratches on the back...

Front is still pristine after slightly over a year (knock on wood).

Applepwns

macrumors member
Aug 9, 2008
I've done it a few times with my ipod video but i always end up putting a case back on it... recently i have used an ipod sock and it seems to work great with little bulk and you can still see the amazing ipod when you pull it out.

liferules

macrumors member
Sep 12, 2008
I went "commando" with mine...keeping it in my shirt pocket, but several times it fell out when I bent over and fell onto the screen. Luckily it never scratched, but scared me enough to buy a silicone cover. This is too expensive to lose with an unexpected fall from my pocket...

bijou

macrumors regular
Sep 7, 2007
If you're talking about the black suede sleeves (my old iPod Video came with one), you can get one here:

http://www.sfbags.com/products/ipodsuedejacket/ipodsuedejacket.htm

I like them because they provide a little bit of protection and grip, but I still get to use my iPod the way it was intended. Looks like it's $16 shipped for the version without a pocket. A nice alternative to the socks if that's not your thing.

This is what I've been using for awhile and it works just fine for me. It keeps the form factor slim, plus a place to stow the earphones when not in use.

the Helix

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2003
no case...

Just use a layer of film to cover the backplate. It looks better without a case and feels better in your pocket (and is more comfortable as well).

Milfin

macrumors regular
Jan 26, 2008
I don't use a case. I do use a zagg shield for the back because scratches/streak annoy me. lol

dscuber9000

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2007
Indiana, US
I don't have a case for it. One of my favorite things about the iPod touch is how thin it is, and a case makes it thicker. Besides, I've had my touch for over a year and if it hasn't broken yet, I doubt I ever will break it.

therealdt

macrumors regular
Oct 4, 2008
northeast region
I was using an ankle sock, then I bought a Griffin case and after I type this I'm going bare a$$. Cases are in my eyes, useless. This is coming from someone who used a case.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.