Anyone here use Verizon's FIOS service?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by ravenvii, Dec 20, 2005.

1. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

What do you think of it? And how does it work as far as connection to the internet goes? Like, does it use PPPoE? Hmm, that's pretty much the only thing I'm wondering. Thanks in advance for any answers.

2. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

The thing I like about having FIOS in my area, is that Cox matched speeds and prices to their plans, even though DSL isn't available in my neighborhood (and we're not even in the boonies!). Of course, they block ports 80 and 25, but not 22, or any others that I use, so I don't have any problem. $40/mo for 5mbps/2mpbs :D

3. ravenvii thread starter macrumors 604

ravenvii

Eh, cancelled it. Not that the Verizon DSL we currently have is good, but it sounds like it's not all that great either. I'm telling them to get cable, but they got something against the cable company around here (not that Verizon is any less corrupt, but whatever). Eh, I won't live here for too much longer, and I'm only here for five months out of a year anyway.

4. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

My house at college has Comcast Cable. It is very fast, when it works. We constantly loose out internet. Comcast has come and checked out connections, but they find nothing wrong. At my last house, it worked perfect. This year, we loose internet probably 2 hours a day. I can't comment anymore than that.

At my home-home, we had Verizon DSL. Not as speedy as Comcast, but it always worked and never lost the internet. We recently switched to FIOS, but I haven't been home yet to test it. My father who is just slightly more advanced than the average computer user managed to connect both our power mac and PC to the internet. He is very happy about the speed. I asked him if he every loses the internet and he said no. I'm going home for the holidays tomorrow. I can't wait to play with it. I'll report back later.

5. applekid macrumors 68020

I don't know if FIOS is available here, but if I were to go out with the daughter of a Verizon employee, I'm sure they could hook me up... :rolleyes: (I do know a girl whose dad works for Verizon).

As far as I can tell, Comcast sucks. They're connections are on and off. But, it doesn't help when the Verizon contractors laying cables decide to accidentally break a few Comcast cables :D (happens in my friend's neighborhood)

Verizon DSL is fast enough for my needs. I don't have any big downloads, and pages load instantaneously enough, DSL is plenty for my uses.

6. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

I've been using it for 2 days now. I have to say I'm very happy with it. Download are much faster than my Cable for even the LAN at my school. Pages have loaded instantaneous. Not even a stutter. I uploaded a 4 GB file via ftp to a friend with cable and it transfered twice as fast as when I did the same thing with my cable. I highly recommend it. I won't be afraid to post back if I encounter any problems though.

7. rdowns Suspended

rdowns

I love your sig.

8. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

Thanks. :cool: :D
    Your's isn't too shabby either. I like small, short sigs.