Anyone here use Vonage?

Discussion in 'Community' started by Roger1, Feb 20, 2005.

1. Roger1 macrumors 65816

Roger1

Does anyone here use Vonage for their phone service?? What has your experience been with it?
    I'm curious because I started using it about a month ago, and I am not impressed with it. I think it's unfortunate, because my buddy uses it, and he loves it. I've had so many problems with it, I think I'm going to being saying bye-bye to it later this week. Their help service can't even help. I call them, and we can't even have a conversation without delays, dropped calls, etc. THEY say the problem is the ISP's fault. The ISP say it's Vonage's fault. I'm going to have the cable people come out and look at my modem, to make sure it's functioning properly. If it is, I'm going to leave Vonage, and go back to regular phone. I might even drop the cable, since I won't need it any more. I'll certainly miss my cable, but I don't need it.

2. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

I would like to hear more about this. I am considering Vonage. I am on a Cox cable system in Fairfax VA. Cox is offering what seems to be VOIP at a much higher cost than Vonage.

3. stubeeef macrumors 68030

stubeeef

me 3, I am interested in voip, and want to hear about voice quality, times of day you don't get a dail tone if any, also the good.

4. rasp macrumors regular

rasp

I have been using BroadVoice, and been (mostly) happy with them, there were some call quality issues for a while (never pinned it down to isp or BV issues) but recently the call quality has been great.

I have the odd issue with it here and again, usually resetting the voip adaptor solves the problem.

I suspect that you will find assorted problems with voip in general since it's a relatively new (to consumers) product.

I can't speak directly to vonage, but know of one person using them who gets great call quality.

Also, I use BV on Verizon 1.5/384 dsl, and have friends using it on Comcast connections. The person I know of using vonage is on comcast.

5. Roger1 thread starter macrumors 65816

Roger1

When it works, it works really well, almost as well as a regular phone. But if network traffic is heavy, then the call will suffer. If you are online, then your call can possibly suffer. My problem is my calls suffer constantly, and the ISP blames Vonage, and Vonage blames the ISP. I would like to note, that I have had -0- issues with Internet connectivity (excepting when it was first installed, sometime in Dec, '03). I guess for my problem (choppy audio) I need a good uplink speed. Mine is 175 kbps, and I have seen is go as low as 149 kbps. But that really doesn't make sense to me, because my voice settings for Vonage are set for 30kbps. So I don't know. But I do know, if it isn't fixed this week, Vonage is gone. I'm tired of dealing with it.

I would like to note, that every time I called Vonage, I had long wait times, while waiting for a tech. I would also like to note they have always been polite, and have tried to help me over the phone (you try this, we'll try that). But even so...

6. bbarnhart macrumors 6502a

bbarnhart

I have AT&T CallVantage. In general, the calls sound fine. It's not any worse that a typical cell phone call, usually better. However, I have had some issues. We live in a rural area and -every call- is long distance. We were paying $35 a month for a "metro" line, plus $40 in long distance, plus the regular phone, plus DSL. The total was about $110 plus the $40 for long distance.

When we switched to VoIP, we saved more than enough for me to get a cell phone.

The problem was the rural telephone company that provides DSL kept having problems with their backbone provider. We were getting a lot of lost packets. I called CallVantage and it took over a week to get ahold of anyone. They clued me in to the packet loss. Then I had to stay on top of the phone company to get them to fix the packet loss.

Now, the calls are fine again. But, it took several weeks to get this issue fixed. And, when the internet isn't work, neither is your phone. Which, for us, happens all the time. Other problems include people say they call you and it goes straight to voice mail. We know we where at home, but the phone doesn't ring.

It does have problems, but we would still switch if we had to do it over again. You can usedslreports.comline quality test to see if you are having packet loss.

7. Pittsax macrumors 6502

Pittsax

I've had it for a couple of weeks now. I have no complaints at all -- the quality sounds just like a regular phone, and it's $24.99 for unlimited calling. I definitely recommend it. You can even keep your own phone number in most cases.

8. Roger1 thread starter macrumors 65816

Roger1

Sounds kind of like where I live. I can call 3 towns local, everything else is long distance. I ran went to dslreports.com, and it showed my uplink and downlink were fairly quick something like 1.7MBps down and 175kbps up, which are close to what I purchased.
    Today, I'm going to try and have the cable people come out and check the modem. I already sent Vonage a warning letter that their time may be up if they don't fix the problem.

9. Zeke macrumors 6502

I also have it and have no complaints. Was seemingly too easy to set up and works perfectly. Clarity is bettery than my metro line used to be. I highly recommend. If anyone is interested in doing it I'll refer you and we both get a good deal. Referred gets a free month and I get 2.

10. stubeeef macrumors 68030

stubeeef

Are people with cable modems getting better reception/service than dsl?

11. Roger1 thread starter macrumors 65816

Roger1

That would be interesting to know. I contacted my cable people today, and found out they are going to be offering their own voip, starting next month. And I can use the slower Internet connection, which will save me about twenty bucks a month, if I choose to use them instead of Vonage.

12. Zeke macrumors 6502