Anyone here who used meth quit?

Discussion in 'Community' started by Danger! Will, May 9, 2005.

1. Danger! Will macrumors regular

Danger! Will

I've been clean for 3 years 8mos and quit on my own with help from friends and family. Just curious to see if anyone out there has quit and what they do to stay clean.

2. ColoJohnBoy macrumors 65816

ColoJohnBoy

Don't know if this counts, but I've tried it a few times. I just didn't find it very appealing on any level. It just made me light headed.... but well done. I've had a few friends really wreck themselves by losing control with that stuff.

3. Awimoway macrumors 65816

Never tried it, but my brother was big-time addicted. His cure -- and that of several of his friends who have quit-- was to move far, far away from anyone he knows who uses or deals. He says it's the most addicting drug he ever tried, and he's tried quite a few.

4. virividox macrumors 601

virividox

Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    my cousin was an addict he had to go to rehab he said the best way to quit is cut ties with ppl u know who do it; change ur lifestyle and seek help from ur family

5. Chappers macrumors 68020

Chappers

6. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Only tried it a few times, was much more of a coke/base head. I had a real problem with it. Been clean for over 5 years, with no help from my friends or family. I simply realized that ending up a toothless, polesmoking, ditchdweller was a colossal waste of my time. Who woulda thunk it, I don't even smoke pot anymore!

7. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

I applaud you... I've stayed pretty clear of it myself, but have run with tweakers, and I've lost friends to it. It's a devil especially in the gay community, which is often loathe to tackle it head-on... as you probably know, even ex-tweakers are heavily stigmatized about it, everyone wants to pretend it's not a problem... it's very sad. Kudos for giving it up before it ate you.

8. Cooknn macrumors 68020

Cooknn

I had some freinds that sunk real low because of that stuff. Whatever you're doing now to stay clean keep doing it IMHO. I think the most important thing to do is stay away from the people that have it. You've got a new life now. Don't look back. The future is yours ;)

9. joetronic macrumors 6502

Very happy for you. I volunteer at the shelter in Wetminster and see lots of lives ruined becuase if it. Its good you are fighting it now before it was to late.

10. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

This drug scares the hell out of me. I've had friends who've done it as well as my ex. They're all clean now, but the long-term effects are nasty. My ex is still in counseling because of it. I am not an anti-drug person, but DO NOT do this drug. There's not one thing good about it.

11. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

I've never used drugs. My ex-friend tried getting me to smoke pot, so I tried it twice, but it tasted awful. I don't see the fascination with these drugs. It's enough to know these drugs could ruin your life, that I know I will never experiment with these drugs. ever.

12. iSaint macrumors 603

iSaint

I never used, though I did smoke pot a few times many, many years ago. I have a friend who is very intelligent and creative, and he'll still partake when it's available (we're in our 40s). There seems to be a great number of people who are highly creative and intelligent and talented who use in some form or fashion. I don't really understand that, maybe because I'm not creative or intelligent or talented.

13. Sutekidane macrumors 6502a

Sutekidane

Never have, been clean my whole life of everything, and plan to stay that way. :)

14. Omen88 macrumors regular

Omen88

In the beginning I used it recreationally when going to parties. Later I just used it during finals to study better. I used very small dosages compared to other people. Now it's been about 3 years since I last used it. I didn't use it during my last finals and am satisfied about that (I had good grades nevertheless).

I'm not planning to ever use it again. As with any drug I used (meth, cocaine, ecstasy, GHB, shrooms, LSD, ...) I have a period where I do it quite frequently, but low dosages. And then I just do it less and less frequently until a point where I completely stop. I just plain don't like it anymore and start to get worried about my health. I never really understood how people got addicted to something anyway (except coca-cola, I just can't stop drinking that crap).

So currently I'm clean. I never smoked anything in my life, and never will because I find it utterly disgusting.

Keep it up. It's just silly to waste your life on a chemical.

15. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

My nephew did, of course it took a brain aneurysm to do it. He's doing reasonably well after being in a coma for 6 weeks, although his short term memory is shot, he can't read, doesn't have use of his left arm and he can barely walk. The docs say it might be 2 years before he is "normal" again if ever. The scary thing is that stimulants could be lethal to him in the future, even a beer could cause a seizure.

16. rockthecasbah macrumors 68020

rockthecasbah

no illegal substances for this kid, I see no reason to try something that inevitably is horrible. However, I applaud you and the others for quitting and staying clean. Drug free is the way to be ;) .