Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zimv20

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jul 18, 2002
toronto
just curious. i've got a ideas for a couple plugs and noted that xcode has the Audio Units SDK built-in. i'm gonna give it a shot.

so, if anyone here is writing plugs:
- which format?
- what software tools / language?
- any good resources you found?
- any plugs i've heard of? got links?

thanks

HiRez

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
Western US
zimv20 said:
just curious. i've got a ideas for a couple plugs and noted that xcode has the Audio Units SDK built-in. i'm gonna give it a shot.

so, if anyone here is writing plugs:
- which format?
- what software tools / language?
- any good resources you found?
- any plugs i've heard of? got links?
I'm not making plugins but I've been doing a bit of CoreAudio/AudioUnits coding. Unfortunately the documentation is kind of sketchy and here are no very easy-to-follow, learning gently kinds of tutorials that I know of. Be aware that if you are a Cocoa/Objective-C programmer only, you're in for a steep learning curve. Also, most of the example code is written in C++, which royally sucks if you don't know C++ and want to use the C API. There are no Apple Objective-C wrappers for it. There is one from a third party but I found it more complicated than just using the C API. So for languages I would say C or C++ if you know it. The best resource is probably the CoreAudio Mailing List.

zimv20

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jul 18, 2002
toronto
thanks for the list link. no worries on the C++; it's my strongest language.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.