Anyone in here got a VW with iPod connectivity?

Discussion in 'iPod' started by MattG, Aug 20, 2006.

1. MattG macrumors 68040

MattG

I bought a 2006 Jetta today. I thought they came iPod compatible, but when I asked my salesman about it he looked at me like I had two heads.

I found this, but it's not very specific as to which models it works with.
    http://drivergear.vw.com/store/accessory.asp?product_id=3248
    My Jetta has the 6-CD changer, and it came with XM. Any VW/Jetta owners have this? I'm assuming I'll have to have the XM disconnected for the iPod connector to work, assuming it'll work with my car. Anyone have experience with this?

2. Cameront9 macrumors 6502a

Cameront9

I thought 2005 and newer VWs had an aux-in (Standard Mini-plug) port. Feel under the AC control section and see if there is a plug there. You should be able to just run a standard Miniplug cable and connect to the AUX. You'll still have to control the music on the iPod, though. I believe the Kit you mention will work, but you may have to disconnect the XM..not sure.

Don't ask the Salesman about it...Ask the parts department guys..

3. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

I have the ipod adaptor for my Mini. The way it works in the Mini (no idea if it is the same for VW) is that it uses the input of the CD-changer. It allows you to have 5 playlists + access to the whole library, making 6 options. Thus if you have the CD changer you cant have the ipod adapter.

However, as I said, no idea if that is how it works for the VW

4. ipodcentral112 macrumors regular

You can always pick up an itrip for about $30

5. decksnap macrumors 68040

decksnap

I know somebody with a Beetle that runs it through the auxiliary. Just go to crutchfield.com. They tell you what to get.

PS> FM transmitters don't compare to a true connection.

6. ipodcentral112 macrumors regular

I guess that can be true, but i have an itrip and it works just fine for me! But then im also half tone deaf so what do i know, haha

7. timnosenzo macrumors 6502a

timnosenzo

8. MattG thread starter macrumors 68040

MattG

No iTrip for me, thanks :)

I finally got to talk to someone at the parts department, and she was able to ask an installer about it. She said it'd be no problem, and that I could probably install it myself as long as I'm technically proficient. So...I ordered one.

https://www.vwgenuineparts.com/product_info.php?products_id=941