Anyone in the Film business? I need some help...

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by mariahlullaby, Feb 8, 2007.

1. mariahlullaby macrumors 6502a

mariahlullaby

Does anyone know where I could get accurate details about where a film is being shot, the dates, and the cast members at a set?

Please no judgements :p. I am interested in visiting a certain film while it's being filmed to see a certain castmember :)p ) but I don't know exactly WHERE it's being shot or even if this cast member wil be filming at this particular set. I am not talking about anything invasive or stalker-esque, but I want to report on it for my web site. I know my boundaries.

This is a closed set, meaning it's really hard to find this information. It's being filmed in two states (NM and TN) and I've spoken to the film commissions for each; the cast members manager has been emailed; the production office; the producer's office; the director. Any place I can get this information (accurately) that I am not thinking of?

2. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

A lot of this information is kept secret or the production is filed under a false name exactly for the same reason you want to find it. You're probably not going to find it unless you have an insider on the set.

3. mariahlullaby thread starter macrumors 6502a

mariahlullaby

I see. Does it help that this is (fairly) smally independent film?

Thanks for the info!

4. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

Actually yes. The few film sets that I have worked on the lower budget ones were easier to find and get on to. Unless everything is shot on loacation, they probably need a place to shoot their interiors like a small studio or warehouse. You could check the film production guides for each of those states (every state should have a film prod guide) and call the loacal studios or production houses.

5. Sdashiki macrumors 68040

Sdashiki

Id venture to say that the fact you dont know anything about it, and it being indie, probably means you wont be high on their list of people to talk to.

i would just think that if you dont know, they dont want you to.

6. mariahlullaby thread starter macrumors 6502a

mariahlullaby

Awesome, thanks!

Do you have any tips for dealing with the film's publicist, coordinators, etc so they understand we are not just "fans" that want to see a movie set? I honestly want to interview crew/cast members but I don't want to book my flight until I am sure this is possible....and for that, I need information.

7. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

Do you want an interview with that one cast member because I'm thinking you might need to set up the interview through his/her manager/agent. I'm guessing you want an interview with the actor whiles he is on set which I don't think they will allow if the set is closed.

Bless

8. teabgs macrumors 68030

teabgs

you're going to need to know someone. I see that you're at NYU...are you in UGFTV? If so (or maybe even not) you can try talking to Jeremiah Newton. He's definitely the guy there that could tell you how to get in touch with anyone.

Or if you know of anyone in the crew (just who they are) you can try to see if they have a website. If you find a website so you could email them directly. Keep in mind they're very busy and loooong days so I would never expect an immediate response. I don't even respond immediately sometimes to my family and I'm hardly ever on set since I really work in post. 12 hours on set is rough.

9. mariahlullaby thread starter macrumors 6502a

mariahlullaby

No, I honestly don't see an interview happening with the cast member -- though I WOULD like to be there while she is still on the set if possible. I really just want to talk to people involved with the film to get information, etc.

Wow, thanks so much! I've been emailing with the director for some time, and he agreed to do an interview with our site, except now that he's on the set I haven't heard back from him.

I was able to get the publicist's phone number just now, so I will try calling him.

Thanks!

10. mariahlullaby thread starter macrumors 6502a

mariahlullaby

Well, I've been able to find out where they've BEEN this week and gotten some details from what scenes they've filmed, but not where they're going!

Thanks again for the help :)