Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jweaver

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 15, 2011
Anyone in the UK using Atomic Browser and know where its gone?

I have been using Atomic for a few years and couldn't imagine my iPad without it.. Its got some issues which drive me nuts, but its got feature that I can't manage without.

I have been hoping that some of the issues would be fixed,and this week (via AppShopper) I was informed that there was a new version (V7).. It adds new features and fixes many bugs, so I eagerly went to download it.

Their web site hasn't been updated for months:

http://atomicwebbrowser.com/

But AppShopper shows a new version:

http://appshopper.com/productivity/atomic-web-browser

But its gone from the store.. The "Lite" version is listed (And is still v5.6).. But the full version isn't shown on the store..

I have tried to contact the developer, but know from experience that he only responds to emails when it suits him.. ANd this time it clearly doesn't, as he hasn't replied.

Anyone know how long its been missing? I don't know whether to wait and see if it appears, or count my losses and move on.........

The problem I have is that if I delete Atomic, I can't re-download it.. And more importantly, the update says that its compatible with iOS6, which implies the version I have won't work.. So if/when I upgrade to iOS6 I may nt be able to use Atomic any more.. I paid for it, and I want it.. Is that unreasonable?

Any ideas/thoughts?

Jon

jrs22

macrumors 6502
Aug 1, 2012
The full version disappeared from the US store also, but there are a few reviews complaining about problems with the 10/2/12 update so maybe it was withdrawn to be fixed. Version 6.0.1 works with iOS 6.

I've been using safari since iOS 6 because I use the synch features for bookmarks and open tabs, but must have the feature atomic browser provides of appearing to web sites to be a desktop browser.

Last edited:

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Jun 7, 2011
I've been using safari since iOS 6 because I use the synch features for bookmarks and open tabs, but must have the feature atomic browser provides of appearing to web sites to be a desktop browser.

BTW, as soon as an iOS 6 JB is released, you can jailbreak use the User Agent Faker tweak to do the same.

jrs22

macrumors 6502
Aug 1, 2012
BTW, as soon as an iOS 6 JB is released, you can jailbreak use the User Agent Faker tweak to do the same.

I'm not convinced that jail breaking is the way to go for me. Also, Atomic comes with a safari bookmarklet so whenever I'm annoyed by a mobile version of a web site I just tap that and Atomic opens and takes me directly to the web site.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.