Anyone install XP successfully on a Mac Pro?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by EHUnlucky7x9@ao, Sep 13, 2006.

1. EHUnlucky7x9@ao macrumors 6502

Jan 8, 2006
    New Jersey
    I'm having a bit of trouble with this installation. I downloaded Bootcamp 1.1 and went through the whole process. I chose install XP and the machine shut down and booted off the Win XP SP2 disc. It flies right through copying the neccessary files. Then the mac pro restarts and begins the XP installation but then it stops and reports an error. It says that a file needed to run Xp installer is missing and can't continue. I went back to boot from the CD and copy the information again. It doesn't stop saying "File missing" and it would restart and I would let it start the XP install, but then the same error comes up.

I've used this XP disc to install in a Macbook and an iMac with no problem. Is there something up with the Mac Pro's that don't let me install XP on Bootcamp? If anyone has any suggestions, please let me know. I saw something about Slipstream versions of XP, but I have no clue what that is. Any ideas? Thanks!
  2. Deerhunter04 macrumors member

Aug 11, 2006
    I have installed XP on my Mac Pro without any problems.

I doubt the file is missing, more like it can't read the file from the disc. This is usually caused by fingerprints or scratches on the CD. If you have another XP CD handy, i'd try that. Otherwise, you might want to make a copy and use that to install.

Slipstreaming is basically adding files/updates to an existing install cd. You copy the install cd to you hard drive and by using a program called nLite, you can customize the XP install process.

I would recommend slipstreaming the Intel SATA drivers into your install cd. Otherwise, your hard drive performance will be EXTREMELY slow.

Here is the website on how to slipstream the intel drivers:

Hope this helps!