Anyone installed Office 2011 on Lion?

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by Internaut, Aug 2, 2011.

1. macrumors 6502a

If you have, this is your chance to say "DON'T DO THAT," if you've had any major issues. I'm aware of some issues from Microsoft but I'm working from home for a few days, and hoping I don't need to remove the "Dell from hell" from its bag. I only really need Word working for now and thought I'd download the 30 day trial......
  2. macrumors 68000

Aug 15, 2010
    Southern California
  3. macrumors 68030

Mar 13, 2007
    Been running Office 2011 on Lion just fine. Other than the noted Microsoft issues:

Things are running fine for me.

4. thread starter macrumors 6502a

5. macrumors 6502

Nov 22, 2007
    No issues i've noticed; just don't forget to move the user data folder to avoid having an odd folder.
  6. macrumors 65816

Mar 7, 2008
    No problems at all with office 2011 and Lion for me either.
  7. macrumors newbie

Jul 31, 2011
    it works a treat I upgraded from office 2008 and 2011 works a lot better, full screen option in word only for the time being until MS issue an update which is due imminently IIRC
  8. macrumors regular

Jul 17, 2008
    can you elaborate? I migrated 2011 with Migration Assistant to my new AIR, but then had to reinstall on top. What is this folder?
  9. macrumors 6502a

Jul 5, 2011
    It's just some silly-assed "Microsoft User Data" folder that shows up in your Home directory. It's harmless and can be left there.

Some OSX users are a bit anal and just don't like crap put in their home folders.
  10. macrumors regular

Jul 1, 2010
    You can move the folder to ~/Library/Preferences if you want to get rid of it.
  11. macrumors 6502a

Aug 13, 2008
    Coventry, UK
    I never installed it in Lion but it was installed in SL and came along for the ride. All seems to be working.
  12. Lord Appleseed, Aug 2, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2011

macrumors 6502a

Lord Appleseed

Nov 7, 2010
    Apple Manor
    Having it installed, no problems.

Doesn't work for MSN Mac though, it will always recreate that stupid folder.
  13. thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yup, I have it working myself now. On my MacBook, Word is usable as long as I set the dock to automatically hide itself for a little extra real-estate (not something I normally find I need to do). Hopefully, MS will update for Lion's new features (Versions, full screen and so on) - that will make it worth buying to me (well, I'm going to have to buy it anyway).
  14. macrumors 65816

Apr 10, 2008
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Yeah remote desktop is persistent with ~/Documents too. I've taken the now better known approach of hiding it, just like showing ~/Library.

Zero problems with Office on Lion here. Well only self-inflicted ones anyway, going a bit too far seeing what I could remove given I don't use Outlook. Removed Database Utility and now I get complaints about the identity - lol. To think if they just packaged the Office folder, I would probably never go digging!
  15. macrumors 65816

Jun 17, 2009
    Redford, MI
    I've used Word and Excel without problems. I have all of Office 2011 installed, but those are the only parts I've used so far.
  16. macrumors 601

Phil A.

Apr 2, 2006
    Telford, UK
    Office 2011 was installed on SL before I upgraded and it's continued to work fine after the upgrade. The only minor issue I've noticed is that remote desktop connection is a bit less stable than before. It wasn't particularly stable before (I often had to force-quit to get it to close, and it would occasionally bomb out), but it has been noticeably worse since I moved to Lion.
  17. macrumors regular

Aug 5, 2008
    working fine. had it running on Leopard and then Snow Leopard before upgrading to Lion, all without issues.
  18. macrumors 68020

Mar 26, 2010
    Im having doubts about when to upgrade to Lion because of the Office 2011 compatibility. I really really need Word. No need for excel, outlook and powerpoint. I want to install Lion now but Im not sure if Word will be stable enough.

Do you guys experiment crashes on Word or have errors of any type?

I just need Word 2011.
  19. macrumors 601

Phil A.

Apr 2, 2006
    Telford, UK
    I've been running Word on Lion since the GM release and it hasn't crashed once on me, nor have I had any issues at all. In fact, it works better on Lion than it did on SL - on SL Word would occasionally fail to close down properly and I had to force-quit it. On Lion, it's performed flawlessly
  20. macrumors regular

Jul 10, 2011
    Pacific Northwest
    Runs great on my system, I highly recommend it if you need office productivity.
  21. macrumors 6502

May 27, 2011
    Glendale, AZ USA
    I use Word and Excel under Lion and they've been rock solid.
  22. macrumors G4

Oct 23, 2010
    Yes, and it's been fine for me, too. Read the Microsoft Office 2011 blog:

The short story: they are fixing some relatively minor annoyances, and have a longer-term project to fully integrate Office 2011 with Lion's new features (versioning, full screen, etc.), but go ahead and use it. The most serious bug (Communicator crashing) has already been fixed.
  23. macrumors 68020

Jun 19, 2010
    Works fine for me. It was on there when I upgraded to Lion. Didn't think much of it. Full screen and versioning are dumb anyways, so no loss there.
  24. macrumors 68020

Mar 26, 2010
    Thanks for the comments.

Im currently testing Word 2011 on Lion (I have it installed on a different partition). I don't see any problems but I have to keep testing it heavily.
  25. 3bs
    macrumors 603

May 20, 2011
    Dublin, Ireland
    I haven't used it much yet but seems to be working fine from the few times that I have