Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

foidulus

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 15, 2007
With the recent launch of the Spectra Green fund(part of Bill Clinton's global initiative) I am interested to see if anyone here has tried any "green" investing? The goal of this fund it seems is to invest in socially responsible companies as well as companies that are researching alternative fuels etc. The minimum is only $500 for IRAs and whatnot, but the expense ratio is 1.25%, a bit too high for my tastes.

Anyway, has anyone here ever done any (environmentally/socially) conscious investing? How did it work out? Any suggestions on funds/stocks?

bob909bob

macrumors member
Oct 20, 2005
I acutually was considering starting to invest in companies researching alternate/green fuel sources. Morally it seems like the right thing to do and I think it is also a smart investment from a financial point of view as well, assuming you do your homework and don't rush in blindly.

bob909bob

macrumors member
Oct 20, 2005
Oh and also every time you buy a mac you support a green company. Macs are white to reflect sunlight :) . True story.

jelloshotsrule

macrumors G3
Feb 7, 2002
serendipity

Poseidon

macrumors regular
Feb 14, 2007
Coralville, IA
Terrapass

Not exactly an investment in the standard sense of the word, but I'm a member of Terrapass (terrapass.com).

The idea behind this company is that your lifestyle contributes to global warming and consumes energy in a number of ways, usually through use of a car or home. To help offset this you can purchase a "pass" that offsets your energy consumption and C02 contributions;Terrapass uses your contribution to invest in clean and renewable energy sources and to purchase energy credits.

The site itself does a much better job explaining it then me, so I'd encourage folks to check it out. I've purchases Terrapass's for both my home and car and it helps me feel a bit better about being a lazy, energy-sucking American. :rolleyes:

[For those interested in joining I do have some 10% of coupons I'm happy to share.]

bobscliff

macrumors regular
Jul 25, 2005
NYC
I myself was looking into ethanol and other alternative energy companies. Unfortunately many of them aren't showing a lot of short term profit (predictable considering the support our govt. gives them here in the states). If they're going to succeed they're going to need govt. subsidies. If anyone has any success stories though please share.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.