Anyone know a good MD5 checksum utility?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Derekasaurus, Jun 5, 2006.

1. Derekasaurus macrumors member

I'm looking for a GUI utility for generating and verifying MD5 checksums. I know there are command-line tools like the standard md5sum and (less standard) md5deep, but what I would like is a more convenient GUI tool that can handle folders.

In my Windows days I had MD5 Utility and MD5summer, but all I can find for OS X is a few silly wrappers that only handle a single file at a time (like MD5).

Does anyone know of an MD5 checksum utility with a decent interface that can deal with multiple files and directories?

I'm trying to avoid writing one myself. :(

2. nadyne macrumors 6502a

I use CheckSum+. The interface isn't fantastic, but it happily handles multiple files.

HTH. :)

3. Derekasaurus thread starter macrumors member

Cool, thanks. I can't run CheckSum+ at work (no Macs handy), so can you tell me if you can drag a folder onto its icon to generate checksums for a directory of files?

The docs make it pretty clear you can drop individual files onto the icon to generate checksum files, but folders of files aren't mentioned.

4. nadyne macrumors 6502a

Its support for directories is somewhat spotty. It does handle multiple files by multi-selecting and dragging to the icon.

5. Derekasaurus thread starter macrumors member

It might do the trick just the same. Thank!