Anyone know anything about appliances?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by wimic, Oct 13, 2006.

1. wimic macrumors regular

wimic

I got my new washer and dryer unit delivered yesterday from Sears. After unpacking it and hooking it up, I tried to use it and it isn't working. Here's the deal:

- the unit is a stackable one and only has one cord for both the washer and the dryer. It's one of those big weird plugs.

- the washer seems to be working. i haven't washed a load of laundry in it yet, but i tried filling it and spinning it. it seems to be operating fine.

- i tried resetting the breaker (since i thought it might have been an electrical problem) to no avail. it did nothing.

- the light in the dryer isn't turning on when the door's opened.

All of the above has lead me to believe that there's something wrong with the dryer... but it's brand new!

anyone have any ideas?

2. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Call Sears? There should be a warranty on it and they should come out and look at it for free.

3. wimic thread starter macrumors regular

wimic

i called them - they said it'll take over a week for them to come in and look at it, and if it turns out that there's a "functional" problem (as they called it), i'll have to pay for the service call :(

4. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Well, if it's plugged in, but doesn't seem to be getting any power..

I suggest hitting your local hardware store and getting a power tester and testing the power on your 220V plug. Definitely RTFM, as messing with power is deadly.

5. jlcharles macrumors 6502

Why didn't they hook it up for you? Isn't that a normal part of their delivery?

As for the plug, it's a 220V and as far as I know, only goes into a 220V outlet. I take it the dryer is electric and not gas?

6. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

So... both are plugged into the same outlet, right? How does that work - is the washer plugged into the dryer, which is then plugged into the outlet (or vice versa)? Is it possible to disconnect (somehow) the washer and plug only the dryer into the outlet (since clearly the outlet has power, as it runs the washer)?

It's odd to me that the washer runs off of 220, and it's odd that there's only one plug (I'd expect a 120V plug for the washer, and, since there's a 220V one, I'm assuming the dryer is electric).

What is the model number of the dryer (or the combo)?

7. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

I notice that one of the options for the Sears Kenmore stacked laundry units is a cord for the dryer. The manual doesn't mention needing to buy one, does it?

8. wimic thread starter macrumors regular

wimic

yep, the unit is electric.

i'm not quite sure about what's plugged into what. i'm pretty certain that cord comes from the washer... which would mean that the dryer is likely connected to the washer. i looked at the P&ID last night but i don't remember too much about it.

i'm just wondering if one of my breakers might be broken. i reset them all yesterday but it didn't work. the thing is, there's an outlet on the other side of the same wall that the dryer outlet is on, that doesn't work! i'm just wondering if it's possible that one of the two breakers that make the 220V couple for the dryer is broken... and if so - would the washer function and not the dryer? the light inside the dryer doesn't even turn on.

this is the unit we bought:
    http://www.sears.ca/gp/product/B000...062?ie=UTF8&searsBrand=core&mqnodeid=16363741

9. XNine macrumors 68040

XNine

Why are you wearing that stupid man suit?
    lmao.

So it DOES needa plug, but it's sold seperately? What a bunch of... I won't say it.

10. wimic thread starter macrumors regular

wimic

it doesn't need another plug. there's an option in the owner's manual for adding an extra plug, but i'm pretty sure that's for "non-canadian" electric connections.

the things it - the only thing that can be plugged into a 120V outlet (which would require a normal plug) is the washer (which is functioning properly)... it's the dryer that's the problem.

11. wimic thread starter macrumors regular

wimic

did you get that from a website? if so can you post the url - i'd be interested in having a look.

thanks!

12. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

That kinda make sense -- if the washer is drawing only single phase (120v) from the 240 V plug, and the dryer needs the full dual phase 240 V -- the first side is live but the second side of the plug is not getting juioce (because of a fault or because it was never wired up in the first place.) so the washer works, the dryer doesn't. If the outlet on the other side of the wallisn't working either, then it's time to bring in an electrician to troubleshoot. This isn't Sears' problem.

Please don't mess with it yourself unless you are experienced in 240V house wiring.

13. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

14. wimic thread starter macrumors regular

wimic

I'm living in an apartment - I called my landlord to see if he could come in and fix it. I'm confident that it is a breaker problem.

15. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Unless it is an outright defective breaker, Breakers trip because of a fault somewhere else on the wire, (that's their purpose in life) so it behooves the landlord to find out where the fault is and fix it before there is a fire :eek:

I like the word "behooves". It fits.

16. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

This is also a good lesson not to buy anything from Sears.:rolleyes:
    The big problem with buying from Sears is that THEY have to repair it, not a normal fix it man.

Is there a big 240v plug for the dryer? They are known for leaving out parts needed.

17. wimic thread starter macrumors regular

wimic