anyone know anything about "fixed-wireless" broadband?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by maxterpiece, Dec 19, 2005.

1. maxterpiece macrumors 6502a

Mar 5, 2003
    I just moved to philadelphia and I've been looking for the cheapest way to get broadband internet. I stumbled across these guys - - they offer high speed internet for only $20.
    It sounds like a great deal, but I've had lots of great deals turn out to be "too great". Can anyone tell me whether these guys are for real, or tell me any drawbacks about the technology they use? Thanks a bundle.
  2. varmit macrumors 68000

Aug 5, 2003
    Dude, just get a cable connection like everyone else, and save yourself the hassle of working with a small time company that might be gone tomorrow.
  3. Counterfit macrumors G3

Aug 20, 2003
    sitting on your shoulder
    Compare the price/speed between their plans and Comcast's plans. Then pick the one with the less restrictive ToS.
  4. macg4 macrumors 6502a

Nov 17, 2003
    Des Moines,Iowa
    yeah i have to vote pro cable internet, since i work for the cable company here in iowa(MediaCom)
  5. ftaok macrumors 601

Jan 23, 2002
    East Coast
    Welcome to Philly. If you believe what Mayor John Street says, you'll be getting free wireless access soon. Philly is planning on becoming the first major city where all citizens will have access to free wireless internet.

Of course, it'll probably be a while before this happens. Everything with Philly politics takes ages.

In the meantime, Comcast and VerizonDSL are your major options. Depending on where you live, you may be able to get Verizon's $15 DSL access (768 kbps). Personally, I've only seen the ads, I know of no one who has the $15 service.

6. topgunn macrumors 65816

Nov 5, 2004
    I have seen this a few times before. Typically, it is used in remote areas where cable and DSL are not available. It was my only broadband option before I moved (unless you consider satellite a viable option) and it was decent. The biggest downside that I saw was the inital hardware setup cost. It was in the neighborhood of $200 to setup.

If it is your only broadband option, go for it. It is a decent technology that makes high-speed internet a possibility for those who can't get more conventional means. If you can get cable to DSL, they are superior to wireless.
  7. maxterpiece thread starter macrumors 6502a

Mar 5, 2003
    Well here's the deal -
    They ask you to sign a 1 year contract, it's $20/month with a $50 installation charge. if you cancel before the year is up then you have to pay the balance of your contract. Total for fixed wireless?$24/month

DSL is $15/month plus another $15 or so for the phone line and probably about $15 to connect the line. Right now i'm cool having no land line, so having the landline isn't gonna help me at all and it's only purpose would be for the DSL. Total for DSL?$32/month

Cable modem is $50/month without cable TV with the first 3 months for $30/month. I have zero interest in cable TV, but the price for a cable modem drops to $20/month for the first 3 months and i think $30/month after if you have cable. Basic cable is like $22/month i think so it's almost the same price. Total for cable modem?$45/month.

Now i know cable modems are much faster than both DSL and fixed wireless which would be nice, but is not really a serious consideration for me.

As far as philly getting free citywide wireless, I've been hearing about that for years, but I haven't heard anything about the project being started. I think cable and DSL providers with fight pretty hard to maintain their monopoly on broadband internet, so even if this does happen it's probably gonna be a while.