Anyone know anything about knives?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by iGary, Dec 16, 2005.

1. iGary Guest

iGary

2. greatdevourer macrumors 68000

3. stonyc macrumors 65816

stonyc

That is the exact set that my wife and I have right now, couldn't be happier... she has a family friend who at one point before retiring was the single largest importer of Wusthof knives in the US, so they were free as well.

Wusthof is a good brand, I've never had any problems with them, I'd say go ahead and get that set.

As far as the extra $100 for two more knives, having the extra (I'm assuming) steak knives can't hurt to have around... so if you can afford it, I'd say go ahead. Though, I can see the point in not wanting to spend $100 more on just two more knives.

4. iGary thread starter Guest

iGary

How well do they hold an edge?

5. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

You've got nothing to do today except about 200 photos, so here's some research:

Link 1

Link 2

Link 3 (the SPAMmy one)

Link 4

Please report back by 5PM, 2 pages doublespaced, with bibliography.

6. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

I have that exact set and they're great - got it from W&S as well.

You need to get one of the sharpeners that you draw the knife through - they have two sides, one for rough sharpening and one for fine sharpening - W&S should have that as well.

They come out of the box like razors, but soon they're not as sharp and you can't do anything to get them back there - however, they're still very sharp, especially if you sharpen them regularly.

Wustof is worth it and I'll never go with out decent knives again.

D

7. iGary thread starter Guest

iGary

OK - I think that is what I will do. I hate giving gifts that don't last a long time, which is why this looks good to me. Problem is, like our new silverware, I'll get bitched at every time I get near them. :D :rolleyes:

I'l get him one of those double sided sharpeners as well - thanks, D.

Working on your report now, Trevor. :cool:

I actually hit a milestone last week. 70,000 images in 5 months. :eek:

8. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

Those are a good set.

Things to look for in a knife set are full tangs, which means the entire knife blade and handle are made from a solid piece of steel. Balance is important as well, so it's best to check them out in person. You also want to check for fit and finish, such as the rivets completely flush with the handle.

These types of knives, especially the chopping knife are designed to be sharpening each time it's used. That's why they've included the sharpening rod.

As with any good knife set, you'll periodically need to get them professionally sharpened.

Henckels are another good well-known brand.

Here's to the Crazy Ones [​IMG]

9. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

And, IMO, good knives like this should be professionally sharpened once a year. The rod sharpener and the little box sharpener can only help smooth out a rough edge, they cannot really "sharpen" (e.g. flatten a bent edge).

10. iGary thread starter Guest

iGary

These are actually Henckels - I think Wustoff os the "series?"

11. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Different manufacturer, I think.. what you linked are Wustoffs. Hmm well now I'm not sure.. :)

12. njmac macrumors 68000

njmac

They are competitors. wusthof and Henckels.

They are both great. I'm a professional chef and I use wusthof. That is what I was issued at cooking school. If I was looking for new knives, I would look for the ones with the best price.

They need to be sharpened fairly often. If they are sharpened correctly they will last a very long time. Every time they get sharpened, they lose a little of the metal so they won't last forever.

13. iGary thread starter Guest

iGary

I changed the link...

14. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

So you did.. pretty sneaky sis!

(a cookie if anyone knows that reference)

I have that exact set (and a buncha steak knives).. I like them a lot. It was my wife's first foray into the world of real knives (she's been a cheap serrated knife user up unti then) and now she swears she'll never go back. I really need to get them sharpened though and add a couple more. You should also shop around a little, the same set costs less other places. At W&S, you're paying for 'l33tn3$$'.

15. doumbek macrumors member

These are very good knives

My father was a professional chef for a while, and I got to see and use a bunch of great knives. Wüsthof is a great brand. I actually prefer them to the Henckels (which are good as well).

The best thing to do is take him in and have try them out. Cooking tools are very specific to each individual. I personally like knives with a little heft to them.

I'll stop my rambling now and just answer yes, they are very nice set.
    It's a good deal, but I personally prefer a 10" chef's knife instead, The heavier the knife is, the easier it is to cut with.

16. njmac macrumors 68000

njmac

connect four :D

17. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Well done! Quickly too!

[​IMG]

18. njmac macrumors 68000

njmac

19. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Check out the sharpening method using carbide paper and a glass plate (or other very flat, hard surface). More if you Google on "Scary Sharp"

I find this superior to wet stones etc.

20. njmac macrumors 68000

njmac

That looks great, $10.00 worth of sandpaper! :cool:

I have a diamond stone and it doesn't sound like it gets as sharp as the Scary Sharp method. Plus its much more $$

Very true, its a matter of personal preference. I like the feel of the wusthof grand prix handle better than the classic wusthof handle. I vastly prefer an 8" chefs knife over the 10".

21. OCOTILLO macrumors regular

Wustoff vs. Henckels

I have Wustoff knives, just personal preference. They are both expensive and both OK for the home chef. You can save money by only buying the knives you need instead of buying a set which will include some things you will rarely use. The knives I use most are an 8" chef's knife and a 4-1/2" utility knife. I have several others, 8" Santuko, carving, boning and the sharpening steel.
    The important thing when using your knives, is to clean up the edge with the steel before each use. This will maintain the sharpness of the knife for a long time. When they get noticeably dull you can get them sharpened by some butcher shops. The Central Markets in Texas do this for about $.50/inch. An alternative is to buy a sharpener. I have a unit called the Chef's Choice ($129.00) which does a good job as it maintains the correct angle on the blade edge and has three sharpening wheels, coarse, fine and honing. Stay away from the draw-thru sharpeners, they can do more harm than good. If you are going to spend a lot of money on your knives, don't skimp on keeping them in good condition.

22. doumbek macrumors member

I can absolutely understand the love of the 8". It's a great all around tool, and you don't have to put it down to grab something else when you are in the weeds. It's just that most of the time I even get a chance to touch my knives, I'm usually just breaking down larger cuts. It seems the only things I use now are a cleaver, and scimitar.

23. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

LOL.. for those who might not know, that's restaurantese for swamped.

24. Kobushi macrumors 6502a

Kobushi

I wouldn't complain if someone bought me that set. I could definitely use some new kitchen knives. As far as sharpening goes, I keep all my knives (not just kitchen ones) razor sharp (theres a little bald spot on my arm where I test them). I've used Lansky's and what not but Spyderco makes a descent sharpener that's pretty much fool proof. The tri-angle sharpenmaker or something like that, I've had very good results with both kitchen and hunting/utility knives. You can adjust the angle appropriately, too.