anyone know anything about Plasma screens?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by HughJ, Apr 26, 2006.

1. HughJ macrumors regular

i have a 42" plasma at home (Television) and over the last few days a 2" black vertical band has appeard on the screen, its just off centre..as you can imagine it proving difficult to watch TV...has anyone ever had similar experiences?

2. patrick0brien macrumors 68040

patrick0brien

-HughJ

Sounds like the contacts between the screen conductors and the image board have been separated for those columns.

It could be simply a separation (my guess due to the width) or something has found it's way in there. You could take your machine apart to clean/reconect yourself, but IIIIIIIIIIII'd really recommend you take it to a pro.

3. HughJ thread starter macrumors regular

hmmm, maybe im best letting someone who knows what they are doing to take a look, typically its only a few months out of warranty:mad:

but thanks for the reply

4. yotaroc macrumors newbie

JVC 42'' plasma has same thing!

2 yr extended warranty just expired April 1.:( (i just found out it runs concurrently with manufacturer warranty!) Thought I had 3 yrs covered. GE electronics doesnt cover plasmas anymore (go figure!).
    Tv hooked up with directv tivo (samsung 2gen box) and jvc surround sound system. also has monster cable conditioner box attached.
    Vertical bands start in varioous colors flashing then to solid black. Eventually goes away after about 5-10 minutes then re-appears.
    No help from JVC or GE electronics. Am i screwed? Thought I got a great deal 2 yrs ago, a $5000 tv for $3500! JVC did give me a list of service centers, called the closest one in West LA (i'm in Compton) and he says "I'm out of his service area" :eek: I'M ONLY 18 MILES AWAY!!!
    if you get a solution please post it.
    cvb

5. HughJ thread starter macrumors regular

thats pretty much what happened with mine, i have not found a solution to the problem, over here we have trading standards (they have the power to insist on companies doing as they say so..in this scase fix my damned TV)...they said the TV should last more than 18 months (even though the warranty is only 1 year) so trading standards have said it should be sorted out by the shop where we bought, so i sent a letter......BUT i have now found out the shop where i bought it from has now gone into recievership:mad: