Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SRLMJ23

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 11, 2008
Central New York
My watch always reminds me stand up at 50 past the hour, I would prefer it would remind me at the top of the hour. So my question is...anyone know how to change this? Thanks for your help in advance!

:apple:

Neutral Milk

macrumors regular
Apr 28, 2015
There is no option to change this. the purpose of the xx:50 reminder is that you've been idle for 50 minutes and only have 10 left before you miss out on earning the hour for standing.

Once you've gotten 12 hours in a day it'll stop reminding you.

Those are the basic features and as far as I know they are not options that can be changed.

Reactions: Knightcastle

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
My watch always reminds me stand up at 50 past the hour, I would prefer it would remind me at the top of the hour. So my question is...anyone know how to change this? Thanks for your help in advance!

I doubt you'll ever be able to change this, and it would be super annoying to get up and walk around for a minute at 2:58pm, only to sit down and be bugged to walk around again at 3:00pm, don't you think? With it set to e.g. 2:50pm, it gives you time to get up and move for 60 seconds, and then it resets. This way at most you'll be bugged once every hour - i.e. in the least disturbing way.

SRLMJ23

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 11, 2008
Central New York
Thanks for the answers guys! It's not annoying really I was just simply wondering if there was a way to change it to a time that you prefer. Once again, thanks!

HopefulHumanist

macrumors 6502a
Jan 28, 2015
Thanks for the answers guys! It's not annoying really I was just simply wondering if there was a way to change it to a time that you prefer. Once again, thanks!

Remember, you can just get up whenever you want. If you do it before the x:50 it won't even remind you.

Reactions: Night Spring

caligurl

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2009
socal
i try to get my stand in before the reminder.

when i'm home in the evening it's easier to forget to stand once i've gotten my 12 without the reminder.... so i set up my own reminders (but still used the 10 til timing)....

you could do that..... set a reminder for the top of each hour to stand.... it will pop up on your watch and once you've stood that hour, you won't get the reminder at :50....

speaking of standing..... i haven't stood for the 8 p.m. hour yet....

Reactions: HopefulHumanist

SRLMJ23

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 11, 2008
Central New York
i try to get my stand in before the reminder.

when i'm home in the evening it's easier to forget to stand once i've gotten my 12 without the reminder.... so i set up my own reminders (but still used the 10 til timing)....

you could do that..... set a reminder for the top of each hour to stand.... it will pop up on your watch and once you've stood that hour, you won't get the reminder at :50....

speaking of standing..... i haven't stood for the 8 p.m. hour yet....

I have a very bad back, so sitting is best for me, however, I am always determined to stand up each hour! I really think it helps because sometimes I could sit for 2-3 hours in this customized chair that can do massages, and heat therapy etc. Completing the rings is like an obsession now, and like I said it helps me to get up and stretch out...anything to help my back. I would not wish the pain I am in on my worst enemy, and I am even on the strongest pain medication you can be on (Fentanyl 100mcg/hour Transdermal Patches.) It is 80-90x stronger than pure Morphine, and about 50x stronger than pure Heroin. My does (100mcg/hour) is equivalent to over 300mg of Morphine a day.

Sorry, I did not mean to get off topic there but this is one reason I bought the Apple Watch...to help with my health.

HopefulHumanist

macrumors 6502a
Jan 28, 2015
I have a very bad back, so sitting is best for me, however, I am always determined to stand up each hour! I really think it helps because sometimes I could sit for 2-3 hours in this customized chair that can do massages, and heat therapy etc. Completing the rings is like an obsession now, and like I said it helps me to get up and stretch out...anything to help my back. I would not wish the pain I am in on my worst enemy, and I am even on the strongest pain medication you can be on (Fentanyl 100mcg/hour Transdermal Patches.) It is 80-90x stronger than pure Morphine, and about 50x stronger than pure Heroin. My does (100mcg/hour) is equivalent to over 300mg of Morphine a day.

Sorry, I did not mean to get off topic there but this is one reason I bought the Apple Watch...to help with my health.

Holy ****, man. No disrespect, but how do you function? You must be high as **** haha.

Yeah, once you get into the activity tracking, it becomes a compulsion for you. That's the single hardest thing about not having a watch for the next few days -- not being able to track my stats and knowing there will be three empty spots in this week.

Reactions: 5105973

SRLMJ23

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 11, 2008
Central New York
Holy ****, man. No disrespect, but how do you function? You must be high as **** haha.

Yeah, once you get into the activity tracking, it becomes a compulsion for you. That's the single hardest thing about not having a watch for the next few days -- not being able to track my stats and knowing there will be three empty spots in this week.

No disrespect at all. I function absolutely fine believe it or not! I do not know how much you know about medicine and what not but I started on Tramadol, then Lortab, then an increase in Lortab (Hydrocodone/Tylenol) strength and dose. From there once I got super tolerant of Lortab, I went to OxyContin 80mg 6 times a day (highest strength OxyContin pill) PLUS the FIVE 10/500 Lortab I was on for breakthrough pain. Once I got tolerant of that, I went to Opana, and then I said screw all these damn pills, so I was put on the Fentanyl.

I am in medical school and doing great, obviously on summer break now. Fentanyl is a weird pain medication...you do not get any sort of high but you get GREAT pain relief! Fentanyl is extremely fast acting, but not terribly long lasting (in IV use) so they made the Transdermal Patches with last 72 hours.

***I apologize to anyone if you feel like I am not on-topic, but I wanted to answer HopefulHumanist's post.***

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
My back sometimes gives me trouble, very painfully, but mercifully no longer than a week at a time and only a couple times a year. Still it's enough for me to understand how you wouldn't wish this on anyone. That's always what I say when my back acts up. I hope you won't have this kind of trouble the rest of your life. The pain meds can't be good for your liver.

My mother is painfully immobilized by osteoarthritis. She was on Advil pills but they were starting to damage her liver. Now she takes nothing and suffers. My father says doctors can't do anything about it. I don't understand that.

I had been trying to close the stand ring but I guess I'm not wearing the watch long enough during the day. I kept getting to midnight and it just would need one more stand up and I'd have gotten it. But for some reason I couldn't get the watch to register the last stand up and at midnight it would reset. It's so frustrating. I don't understand it, when I first got the watch I got my stand up goal so easily.

Now I don't bother with any of the rings because I'm going to be wiping my phone blank and starting my phone from scratch. And the watch, too. I'm to the point neither are working as they should. I'm just waiting for my husband to get time to save some things for me since I won't be restoring from backup.

But once my phone and watch are wiped clean and re-paired I'm going to try and get all the badges. It really is a great motivator...when it works like I think it should!

SRLMJ23

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 11, 2008
Central New York
My back sometimes gives me trouble, very painfully, but mercifully no longer than a week at a time and only a couple times a year. Still it's enough for me to understand how you wouldn't wish this on anyone. That's always what I say when my back acts up. I hope you won't have this kind of trouble the rest of your life. The pain meds can't be good for your liver.

My mother is painfully immobilized by osteoarthritis. She was on Advil pills but they were starting to damage her liver. Now she takes nothing and suffers. My father says doctors can't do anything about it. I don't understand that.

I had been trying to close the stand ring but I guess I'm not wearing the watch long enough during the day. I kept getting to midnight and it just would need one more stand up and I'd have gotten it. But for some reason I couldn't get the watch to register the last stand up and at midnight it would reset. It's so frustrating. I don't understand it, when I first got the watch I got my stand up goal so easily.

Now I don't bother with any of the rings because I'm going to be wiping my phone blank and starting my phone from scratch. And the watch, too. I'm to the point neither are working as they should. I'm just waiting for my husband to get time to save some things for me since I won't be restoring from backup.

But once my phone and watch are wiped clean and re-paired I'm going to try and get all the badges. It really is a great motivator...when it works like I think it should!

Well now that I am not on the pills the potential damage to my liver is greatly diminished. I actually had a liver function test and it is running 100% fine, thank God! I could really get into technical medical terms and explanations but I am getting tired but the Fentanyl Transdermal does still get metabolized by the liver, but it does not really damage it. Tylenol is the drug you really need to be careful of, because it damages the liver terribly in some people. Tylenol is in a lot of the opioid-combo drugs, like Vicodin/Lortab (Hydrocodone/Tylenol) or Oxycodone/Tylenol. Doctors have to be very careful of giving these meds to older people and obviously people with compromised livers or alcoholics etc...

Unfortunately, as of now it looks like I might be living with this pain for a long time. It sucks! I wish you the best with your back pain, and also your mother with her osteoarthritis!

Knightcastle

macrumors 6502a
Apr 25, 2015
I doubt you'll ever be able to change this, and it would be super annoying to get up and walk around for a minute at 2:58pm, only to sit down and be bugged to walk around again at 3:00pm, don't you think? With it set to e.g. 2:50pm, it gives you time to get up and move for 60 seconds, and then it resets. This way at most you'll be bugged once every hour - i.e. in the least disturbing way.
He doesn't want it to remind you at the end of the hour and the start of the hour. He just wants it at the start of the hour.

Reactions: SRLMJ23

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
He doesn't want it to remind you at the end of the hour and the start of the hour. He just wants it at the start of the hour.

Yes, I realize. Re-read my post. :) I really fail to see the point of the original post, but maybe I'm missing something?

If it goes off at the top of the hour, i.e. at 2pm, - how long is it supposed to give you to walk around before you "missed" that hour? Till 2:10pm?

I just don't understand why the way it's set up right now isn't the best way. It goes off at 2:50pm, and you know you haven't moved around for the last 50 minutes of that particular hour. Then at 3pm if you haven't moved, you know that hour had no movement. Boom. Simple to understand. If, however, the warning taps go off at 3pm - what does that mean? That you didn't move from 2:10pm till 3pm, and the hour runs out at 3:10pm?

Again, trying to understand the point, that's all. :)

Last edited:

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
Yes, I realize. Re-read my post. :) I really fail to see the point of the original post, but maybe I'm missing something?

If it goes off at the top of the hour, i.e. at 2pm, - how long is it supposed to give you to walk around before you "missed" that hour? Till 2:10pm?

I just don't understand why the way it's set up right now isn't the best way. It goes off at 2:50pm, and you know you haven't moved around for the last 50 minutes of that particular hour. Then at 3pm if you haven't moved, you know that hour had no movement. Boom. Simple to understand. If, however, the warning taps go off at 3pm - what does that mean? That you didn't move from 2:10pm till 3pm, and the hour runs out at 3:10pm?

Again, trying to understand the point, that's all. :)

I believe the mentality is "get it over with." You get a stand reminder at the beginning of the hour, you stand and move about until you get the "you're done" notice, and you can forget about it until the beginning of the next hour.

As it is, sometimes I get an alert at 10 minutes before the end of the hour, and I'm in the middle of something where I can't stand in the next 10 minutes, so I miss that hour. I'd prefer it to alert me earlier.

It's just that people have different mental approaches to this, so it'll be nice if we could pick when we got the alerts.

Reactions: SRLMJ23 and 5105973

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
I believe the mentality is "get it over with." You get a stand reminder at the beginning of the hour, you stand and move about until you get the "you're done" notice, and you can forget about it until the beginning of the next hour.

As it is, sometimes I get an alert at 10 minutes before the end of the hour, and I'm in the middle of something where I can't stand in the next 10 minutes, so I miss that hour. I'd prefer it to alert me earlier.

It's just that people have different mental approaches to this, so it'll be nice if we could pick when we got the alerts.

I think Apple's mentality here is that they don't want you to think you have a whole hour to move around so you just put it off... Why would it bug you to move if you have a whole hour to do it? It's like being told to stop eating too much chocolate before you've even had a bite. :D

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
I think Apple's mentality here is that they don't want you to think you have a whole hour to move around so you just put it off... Why would it bug you to move if you have a whole hour to do it? It's like being told to stop eating too much chocolate before you've even had a bite. :D

That analogy doesn't work for me. To me, being told to stand up with only ten minutes left is like being given a big box of chocolates and told I have to eat it all in ten minutes. Makes me feel rushed. While if I'm told to stand up at the beginning of the hour, I'll most likely just do it, because I feel relaxed, it's a pleasant experience to stand up at my leisure and walk around.

In fact, I've ended up conditioning myself to stand and move around toward the beginning of each hour, so I don't miss my stand goals.

It's just a different mentality, not everyone thinks alike.

Reactions: SRLMJ23 and 5105973

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
That analogy doesn't work for me. To me, being told to stand up with only ten minutes left is like being given a big box of chocolates and told I have to eat it all in ten minutes. Makes me feel rushed. While if I'm told to stand up at the beginning of the hour, I'll most likely just do it, because I feel relaxed, it's a pleasant experience to stand up at my leisure and walk around.

In fact, I've ended up conditioning myself to stand and move around toward the beginning of each hour, so I don't miss my stand goals.

It's just a different mentality, not everyone thinks alike.

But... You don't have to move around at the beginning of each hour. You can move around any time during that hour before the 50-mark.

I think we can agree to disagree. And that's ok. :)

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
But... You don't have to move around at the beginning of each hour. You can move around any time during that hour before the 50-mark.

I think we can agree to disagree. And that's ok. :)

Yes, I know I don't have to move at the top of the hour. It just makes me feel better to do it then. If I put it off until when the watch tells me to stand, it just makes me feel rushed and I don't like that feeling. And yes, it's ok that we are all different. I was just trying to explain why some of us want the stand alert at a different time than the 50 minute mark. I hope you understand why.

zhaoxin

macrumors 6502
Jan 28, 2015
I think you should understand why apple sets xx:50 as the reminder time. Apple thinks you should stand up for 1 minute in every hour. That means, if you have already stood up for 1 minute in some one hour. Apple Watch will realize it and not alert you at that hour.

So Apple sets the time as 50. If you have not stood up from 0 minute to 50 minute, you still get 10 minute to do it before the new hour comes.

If you want apple watch to alert you just every hour, I think a repeat reminder is good enough for you.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
I think you should understand why apple sets xx:50 as the reminder time. Apple thinks you should stand up for 1 minute in every hour. That means, if you have already stood up for 1 minute in some one hour. Apple Watch will realize it and not alert you at that hour.

So Apple sets the time as 50. If you have not stood up from 0 minute to 50 minute, you still get 10 minute to do it before the new hour comes.

If you want apple watch to alert you just every hour, I think a repeat reminder is good enough for you.

I do understand Apple's reasoning. But their way doesn't quite work for me. So yes I have set a separate stand up reminder - so now Apple's reminder system is not being used. Is that "good enough"?

zhaoxin

macrumors 6502
Jan 28, 2015
I do understand Apple's reasoning. But their way doesn't quite work for me. So yes I have set a separate stand up reminder - so now Apple's reminder system is not being used. Is that "good enough"?

No. The Apple's reminder system is still being used. However, since it is designed smart, it works invisible to you. You can still get two benefits from it. A second alert if you do not stand up at your own reminder time. A chart that you stand everyday.

Reactions: 3under2
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.