Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Shaytoon

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 21, 2004
So I have Win XP 2001 as a .nrg file (which can also be a .iso file). .nrg is a fle recognized my nero which I do not have. I do have virtual PC. I can't open the Win XP file with Virtual PC and I have no idea how to install Win XP onto my computer.

How do I access the Win XP file and how do I get virtual pc to load the Win XP OS onto my comp?

Any advice guys? This seems really tough to do so far.

Thanks

Le Big Mac

macrumors 68030
Jan 7, 2003
Washington, DC
Shaytoon said:
So I have Win XP 2001 as a .nrg file (which can also be a .iso file). .nrg is a fle recognized my nero which I do not have. I do have virtual PC. I can't open the Win XP file with Virtual PC and I have no idea how to install Win XP onto my computer.

How do I access the Win XP file and how do I get virtual pc to load the Win XP OS onto my comp?

Thanks

Don't you have to buy the VPC version with the right windows OS? I.e., there are different versions of VPC for Windows ME, NT, 2000, etc.

slughead

macrumors 68040
Apr 28, 2004
There's an option to boot VPC off the CD.

Get your drive letters setup and then do that, the rest is self explanatory.

psycho bob

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2003
Leeds, England
install the vitual PC app then put your windows CD in. Start up VPC and select new virtual machine. Just follow the instructions. I bought VPC with 98 but decided to install my own copy of XP ran suprisingly well with the graphic set to the classic windows style.

slughead

macrumors 68040
Apr 28, 2004
psycho bob said:
install the vitual PC app then put your windows CD in. Start up VPC and select new virtual machine. Just follow the instructions. I bought VPC with 98 but decided to install my own copy of XP ran suprisingly well with the graphic set to the classic windows style.

What he said :)

blodwyn

macrumors 65816
Jul 28, 2004
Portland, Oregon
Shaytoon said:

Thanks

The steps would be to burn the .nrg image to a CD (note, don't just burn the file, you have to burn the image). Either use a PC to do this or I think you can use the Mac disk utility to convert an iso file to a dmg file and then burn it from there. You now should have a bootable WindowsXP disk. Now you start up VPC and go through the steps from there.

SpaceMagic

macrumors 68000
Oct 26, 2003
Cardiff, Wales
the fact you have windows xp on a .nrg file makes this post illegal. For educational purposes, one would have to burn (using nero) the nrg to a cd rom. Then set VPC to boot from CD.

The rest... is easy as pie.

grapes911

Moderator emeritus
Jul 28, 2003
Citizens Bank Park
Le Big Mac said:
Don't you have to buy the VPC version with the right windows OS? I.e., there are different versions of VPC for Windows ME, NT, 2000, etc.
You get the same version of VPC you just get a different version of windows packaged with it. They used to even sell VPC without any os or with dos or something (I don't know if they still do). This way if you had a legal copy of windows, you didn't have to buy a new one.

blodwyn

macrumors 65816
Jul 28, 2004
Portland, Oregon
grapes911 said:
You get the same version of VPC you just get a different version of windows packaged with it. They used to even sell VPC without any os or with dos or something (I don't know if they still do). This way if you had a legal copy of windows, you didn't have to buy a new one.

They still sell VPC without any version of windows - I bought mine a few weeks ago and loaded Win98 without any problems, except for the fact that the Win98 CD doesn't boot so I had to find and boot a DOS floppy disk image and then run Setup on the CD.

Le Big Mac

macrumors 68030
Jan 7, 2003
Washington, DC
grapes911 said:

Thanks. Didn't realize it was actually two separate products. VPC plus a version of windows.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.