Anyone know how to post a pic that ppl can't copy??

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by Caddy, Jan 1, 2004.

1. Caddy macrumors member

Mar 13, 2003
    I know that some people have the expertise that enables them to get around anything. I am talking about posting a pic that the average computer joe can't steal with ease. I know nothing is foolproof, but if I could even get a little additional security. Thanks.
  2. MisterMe macrumors G4

Jul 17, 2002
    Re: Anyone know how to post a pic that ppl can't copy??

To copy a picture, all you have to do is to drag the picture from the web page onto the Desktop or to any other folder, for that matter. I can't even conceive of a way to prevent copying of a picture that is posted on the Internet. You may limit access by password protecting the page, but that is it. Anyone with access to the picture can copy it.
  3. johnnowak macrumors 6502

Jul 24, 2003
    New York, New York
  4. MarkCollette macrumors 68000

Mar 6, 2003
    Calgary, Canada
    Basically, if the user can see it, then they can copy it. Simple as that.

But, if you're trying to stop people, who don't know much about computers, from saving the image, then the simplest way is to make a Java applet that has the image hard-coded. Then there is no simple file to copy. And to reduce the likelihood of screen captures, you could make the applet flicker between the image and a blank screen, or something like that.

Again, and programmer could hack that easily, but not a regular user.
  5. Daveman Deluxe macrumors 68000

Daveman Deluxe

Jun 17, 2003
    Corvallis, Oregon
    The easiest and best thing to do is to put a copyright notice on the image. If you don't mind sacrificing the art for a little bit of protection, you can emblazon it across the entire image instead of putting it in a corner where it will be easily cropped.
  6. Flowbee macrumors 68030

Dec 27, 2002
    Alameda, CA
    Or better yet, just post pictures that no one would possibly *want* to copy.
  7. benixau macrumors 65816

Oct 9, 2002
    Sydney, Australia
    yes but then his g/f may have some new found b/f and he wouldn't like that :D :p
  8. crazzyeddie macrumors 68030

Dec 7, 2002
    Florida, USA
    If you search back on the boards, you will find a very similar topic. One of the suggestions was to use a Java Script to disable windows users from using the right click (save image to...). Another suggestion (which is probably the best) is to overlay a totally transparent picture on top of your picture. Then, when people click on the picture they see, they end up downloading a blank document instead.
  9. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Jun 25, 2002
    Gone but not forgotten.
    You could use Flash to make a photo gallery. That makes it quite difficult to do more than take a screenshot and possibly, print.

You might find a freeware/shareware application to output to the shockwave/flash format, if you don't have Flash available.
  10. Horrortaxi macrumors 68020

Jul 6, 2003
    Los Angeles
    There have been some good ideas so far but I have a couple more. The first is to put up really crappy images--small, low resolution, etc so that someone really can't do much with it.

Also, there are services that will track the web for your images (you put some kind of a watermark on them) and notify you if they find them. It costs money to do this and the next step is to sue the person using your image, but if you are using the images to make money it could be worth it.
  11. glyph macrumors newbie

Jan 1, 2004
    you can slice your images into halves or quarters and put them into tables.
  12. pyknosis macrumors newbie

Jul 24, 2002
    Pasadena, CA
    I've found that some professional photographers (ie, wedding photogs) are using Flash or Java to display photos that can not be dragged to the desktop, copied using "Download image to disk...," nor copied using IE to make an archive of the page. As mentioned above, though, these can all be circumvented by taking a screenshot. So, in the end, ppl can always steal images that can be shown on screen, but they'd never really be able to get something that would look good printed. IMO, the best thing is to just not worry about ppl using your images. It's not really that big a deal anyways. The only reason it should matter to you is if you make money from your pics, in which case, you'd most likely make money from printed versions of them, not onscreen versions. Everyone else should not be such Nazis about their images being used "illicitly"--just license them under a Creative Commons license (in which you allow people to use your images with certain stipulations, like attribution, etc.), and be happy if someone likes your work enought to want to use it for something. :)