Anyone know how to set up WPA (encryption) on a wireless router.

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by sk1985, Jan 15, 2006.

1. sk1985 macrumors regular

Jan 13, 2006
    I currently have a Linksys WRT54G and I use MAC filtering to block users off my network. However I want more protection and would like to set up my networks WPA encryption (supported by my router) anyone know how to do it? I'm a bit confused.
  2. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

Mar 25, 2002
    London, England
    Perhaps reading the manual would be a good start.
  3. sk1985 thread starter macrumors regular

Jan 13, 2006
    Its not very helpful.
  4. semaja2 macrumors 6502a

Dec 12, 2005
    ok well open up the routers webpage i belive and look around under the wireless tab for security options, the side panel will have what you need to do

basicly all you need to do is generate a nice passkey for it and put it in all the clients

PS dont go near wpa - radius unless you know what your doing
  5. sk1985 thread starter macrumors regular

Jan 13, 2006
    Thanks so much. I wasn't sure that whole radius thing confused the hell out of me. I used the regular WPA encryption.
  6. sk1985 thread starter macrumors regular

Jan 13, 2006
    Yeah thats what was so confusing I didn't know which setting to pick (normal WPA, WPA2, or radius). Anyway I setup a wpa2 encryption. Thanks for your input. Only problem some of my wireless devices aren't compatible with it, but I guess thats the nature of the game.
  7. Laser47 macrumors 6502a

Jan 8, 2004
    Yea if you dont know what a radius server is chances are you dont have one, so than you need to use WPA-PSK, or WPA2-PSK (Preshared Key). Then just put in any password you want, but make it moderately long.