1. Welcome to the new MacRumors forums. See our announcement and read our FAQ

anyone know how to turn on a powerbook without the power button

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by LemmycautioN, Nov 26, 2008.

1. macrumors member

Does anyone know if there's anyway to turn on an aluminum powerbook without the power button? I mean is there any keystroke combination that can turn a powerbook on? :confused:

2. macrumors 6502a

What exactly is wrong with your PowerBook's power button? It is just not working, physically broken, missing entirely?

Offhand, I'm not aware of any other button combinations to cause a machine to boot up, but there my be some other roundabout ways of doing it.

3. macrumors 6502a

JG271

Only way I can think of is buying an old apple keyboard with a built in power button and seeing if that works. Strange request though...

4. macrumors demi-god

alphaod

Just short the power cables.

5. macrumors member

thanks for your help guys. I'm looking into the keyboard with the power button, hopefully that will do the trick. The reason I'm asking is because I'm building a desktop mac out of my last 3 powerbooks - all of which are broken. I'm using the logic board from a 15" powerbook 1.67 and the only way the power button connects to it is through the whole top piece (keyboard and all). I can't just take the power button off and plug it into the logic board because the connection to the logic board connects EVERYTHING in the top, not just the button. I may be able to do it with scissors and tape, but I could end up messing the top part up. :eek:

6. macrumors 601

OrangeSVTguy

Just cut the 2 wires to the switch and wire up a new one to it. That way you can extend the power button to where you will need it.