Anyone know if cable companies charge for extra cable boxes?

Discussion in 'Community' started by WannabeSQ, Sep 1, 2003.

1. WannabeSQ macrumors 6502

I am renting a room for the semester from a guy in Chatsworth, CA. I attend Cal State Northridge (CSUN)

The house has Time Warner Cable, and he has one box. I scoured the website, looked at FAQs, billing, pricing etc, and have found nowhere if they charge an additional montly fee for an additional cable box. I also want to get Cable Internet, but that is beside the point. I am new to the cable thing, as My house at home has had DSL and Satellite TV for years. Also, as I am a total newb, do I even need a cable box? It is just basic cable.

BTW, is there any sort of download cap/transfer limit on cable modems (i.e. do they turn off or charge extra if I download or upload over a certain amount?)

Thanks in advance for any help provided.

2. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

you dont need a another cable box unless you are wanting to put illegal cable in another room or something. if not just get a coaxil splitter and some more coaxial cable. thats the cool thing about cable, hook it up to as many tv's as you want. and there are ways to uncap your cable modem. it involves replacing a file that the modem loads every time which tells it where to cap it at. there is some info on the internet on how to do it but im assuming nothing good can come from this so i would just leave it alone.

iJon

3. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

4. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

If your tv is reasonably new and can tune in over 100 channels, you won't need a thing. Just a splitter and a coaxial cable. Cable modems have no extra costs associated with them except the monthly rental of the modem if you go that route. It's unlimited transfer, so no one will charge you more for too much surfing! I've enjoyed my cable service for 4 years now. It could be a little faster (I only pay for the 768kbps download speed) but not much out there needs anything faster yet, so I save the $10 it would take to get me to 1Mbps and buy iTMS tunes with it.

5. Kwyjibo macrumors 68040

Kwyjibo

at my house a few years back we went from cable to directv ... it kind of sucked because like 5 tvs had cable b4 the swtich and then only two had directv after but directv was so sweet it made it worth it. As for the cable modem issues, we have one (even tho we dont have cabletv) and you can download as much as you want as mentioned above and the sky is the limit on sizes and usage

6. WannabeSQ thread starter macrumors 6502

I think this is the digital cable, as the cable box worked similar to my satellite reciever at home, with menus, program information etc. Also, the cable box i saw at the house matches the one on the Time Warner website listed for digital cable. If it is digital cable, (I am not sure) can I still hook it up to my TV and get analog cable from a digital line? Also, I would assume that if the website doesn't show any extra charges, (i.e. ways for them to make money) for multiple TVs, that I can hook up as many as I want.

The cable in my area is 2 meg download, 384k up, so I think I am getting a deal, there are no lower speed options, and its $45 a month.

7. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Yeah you should be able to get regular cable in your TV if you have a cable ready TV even if the rest of the place has digital boxes. At least that's the way it has worked for me.

8. sketchy macrumors regular

Digital cabel requires a box, without the box you can receive the non digital channels. and no pay channels.. unless filters wereremoved outside the house. There is no "digital line" as far as the "last mile" is concerned. It gets converted on the street to analog and pushed to the house on coax. same with the cable modem. it comes into the house on a coax line. the cable modem requires a line filter too (so many are difficult to move).

Comcast charges 4 to 6 a month per additional box.

And they can detect if you are stealing cable from the street. they can check for line leakage and the amount of power being drawn by the line.

Dave

9. Capt Underpants macrumors 68030

Capt Underpants

We recently got rid of our 3 cable boxes and it saved us 21.00 per month. We still get all of the channels we were getting with the box, only we don't have an on-screen guide. We get the paper anyways and so there is a guide in there. BTW, we are using Charter Communications cable.

10. tpjunkie macrumors 65816

tpjunkie

They don't want you to have extra boxes, because if you have a box, its actually quite easy to open it up and remove the identity chip, and get free premium channels. theres tons of guide on how to do that in the 'net. of course, its not entirely legal...

11. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

Here's my scenario. We have digital cable, about 500 channels all said and done (but no TechTV? dammit), and we have a digital box in the living room-- gets all the channels, and Video On Demand, programming guide, messages from the cable company, etc etc. In the bedroom and office, we have TVs with no cable box, they get channels under about 100, what's considered basic cable-- none of the premium channels under 100 work on those--

pnw

12. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

Back when we had Digital Cable with AT&T Broadband (Now Comcast), we had the digital box in one room, and had basic cable in the other(s), also we only had one VCR at the time that could play tapes, so I wired the house to send the Digital signal to all TVs, the VCR to all TVs and the Expanded Basic to All TVs. There was a switch next to all to select which form you wanted. We of course have friends who work for Comcast, and they said it was totally legal. Comcast here charges $15 a month for the Digital box w/ remote.

You may want something similar (Since TWC is partially owned by Comcast).

Also, cable modems usually only limit speed, not volume per day, so you shouldn't have a problem.

TEG

13. WannabeSQ thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for all the replies, all of my questions have been answered. The analog cable works just fine, not digital quality, but whatever. The Cable modem will be installed on the 11th, and they will only install it on a computer, not on my router for the network. How easy/hard is it to un setup the modem from the computer and configure the linksys router? I assume it is as simple as entering user ID/password and whatever else domain informaion i need, is there anything else?

Edit:

The reason I asked about download limit, is I read someone's review on broadbandreports.com and he mentioned hitting a download cap and needed to get business class service. Is he crazy downloading waaaay too much or is he lying?