Anyone know of a CS job?

Discussion in 'Community' started by Draft, Jul 26, 2002.

1. Draft macrumors 6502

I just graduated from Michigan Technological University with a degree in Computer Science. Now, I'm looking for a full-time position in any field utilizing my degree. Does anyone know of any job openings?

Thanks.

2. Backtothemac macrumors 601

Backtothemac

I would say pick a city, and then go to Monster. I know that there are always opportunities in Birmingham Alabama. It is a really nice city. Also in Huntsville. Check Monster though.

And congrats on graduating.

3. Taft macrumors 65816

Taft

I hadn't even thought about posting here. That might be a good idea. I'd imagine a fair amount of IT people hang around here.

Have you had any luck with Chicago's papers???

Taft

4. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

DC has a ton of jobs - http://www.washingtonpost.com/wl/jobs/home

Best place to find jobs in the area, and DC is a great town. Keep us upto date on the job hunt, let us know where you find something.

Good luck,

D

5. Draft thread starter macrumors 6502

There never seems to be very much on Monster. I've had more luck finding jobs on smaller, more area-specific job posting sites.

I've used the tribune website, but I've only done a search for nation-wide jobs. There were a few jobs that I sent my resume to. I've been meaning to get back and check on the jobs that are actually posted in the tribune.

When I get home next week, I'll try to post my resume on this thread. That might help a little also.

Thanks for all of your help, and keep the tips coming.

6. Draft thread starter macrumors 6502

Does anyone know of any specific job openings? Perhaps a computer science job that has opened recently at your company.

Thanks.

7. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

Re: Anyone know of a CS job?

i assume with computer science you mean software programming as opposed to cirucuitboard design or engineering

apps programming is the lion share of the market...it's what people hate to do the most but the pay is the best and there are jobs even in smaller areas

the fun stuff like web page design and graphics pays way less and is limited more to cities

i used to be an hr guy and now i am a techie so send me your resume in the private mail...i can check it out and help you with a few pointers

8. sparkleytone macrumors 68020

sparkleytone

i would suggest getting yourself involved in some open-source projects while you look for a job. there are many many people who have landed jobs due to their influence on an opensource project. the main man from freeBSD was hired by apple. many many many people have been hired by netscape from the mozilla project. just a suggestion. dallas, tx is also a great place for hitech jobs. richardson to be exact.

9. Draft thread starter macrumors 6502

Re: Re: Anyone know of a CS job?

Thanks. I'll send it right now.

10. Gelfin macrumors 68020

Gelfin

Re: Anyone know of a CS job?

How about summarizing yourself here as well? It seems contrary to common sense, but the thing about CS jobs is that broad, general experience often gets you overlooked. Specialization will get the attention of people who need certain skills. Did you focus on any special area of interest while you were in school? Did you have any internships or cooperative education? What have you done and what have you enjoyed?

11. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

Re: Re: Re: Anyone know of a CS job?

i got it and sent you back a PM

realize in the computer hardware and software fields it is flooded first with:

1) self taught people like jobs, woz, dell, ellison, gates, and allen

2) then populated with math majors, business majors, and liberal arts majors who couldn't make a go of it in a liberal arts field so they switched to IT/IS/computers in general

3) then if there is space, the CS majors get the jobs...the people who dominate the field are not CS majors and are not as likely to hire based on a degree or cert fter a name, but more on "what you know that is current and applicable" and schools everywhere just don't get it

when assembly language, dos, windows 3.1, beige macs, and dot.com/e-commerce stop being the mainstays of CS departments, maybe then they will wake up and see that the field moves fast and schools have to keep up on applied computing, not binary/hexidecimal/mathematical theory and such

because microsoft did not jump on dot.bomb instantaneously, the local college where i live deemed microsoft dead and somehow thought cisco and sun would take their market away...yeah right:p

i wish CS deans were in the field, not PhDs who are good at slinging jargon and beggng for funds for their pet projects in order to protect their jobs...publish or perish?...how about teach? and teach current stuff

12. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

that said, if you are not already in the field like me, and you are starting out in computers and have no clue as to what to do, definitely get the certification training and/or degree since it's a fast way to get a newbie up to speed in a short period of time

it's also a good way to sample the field and narrow one's interests down to several areas and get a feel for what you like and what may be practical...not always the same thing

in the small, rural area where i live, it's not prudent to be a digital lettering expert for the movies, but more practical to get an electronics degree (AS or BS) or get an A+ or MCSE certification (yeah all sounds boring, but pays the meal ticket)

it's so funny because most of the CS students at the college want to design video games or do hollywood movies but don't want to move from their rural log cabins and leave pa and mama colpeppa' behind

but who knows, maybe hollywood will get into agriculture and artichokes and monterey, ca will become the movie making capital of the world:p

13. Draft thread starter macrumors 6502

14. Draft thread starter macrumors 6502

I recently updated my resume. You can download it from the same link as in the post above.

Thanks.

15. goglamosh macrumors member

would a school that teaches Java as its first CS class be considered on the bleeding edge?

16. Taft macrumors 65816

Taft

Nah. Java is pretty widely accepted as a standard at this point. MTU (the school both Draft and I attended) was pretty progressive in its teaching methods, though.

I personally didn't like the shift to teaching incoming students Java mostly because of its forced object oriented paradigm and allowing programmers to be lazy with memory allocation/deallocation. I thought it deprived student of some valuable lessons in their first few years.

But MTU did a lot of really cutting edge things with how they taught the classes. They had the same lectures/programming assignments most schools have, but they also had a lot of outside of lecture learning. They had student run learning centers and lab style classes. There were a lot of opportunities for first year students to learn Java programming and succeed in the class. I taught in the learning center for a while and ran a few of the lab style classes and I thought they were a huge success.

Taft

17. goglamosh macrumors member

but isn't java garbage collection the greatest thing ever? no, just kidding. what is the best laungage out there in anyone's opinion?

18. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

java, html, c++, unix (maybe)

19. wake up Jobs!!! macrumors regular

Why don't you try to work for apple:) I think that would be the coolest job ever( That or a race car driver:rolleyes: )

GaBe-O

20. Draft thread starter macrumors 6502

I'm trying man! Though, nothing has fallen through yet.

21. Draft thread starter macrumors 6502

I am still looking for a job. If you know of anything, please help me out and post it here.

Thanks,
    Draft

22. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Not only do I check monster.com, but computerjobs.com, dice.com, careerbuilder.com. If I think of others, I'll let you know, but I have my resume on each of those.

The school I'm currently attended hasn't had much in the way of job placement since last year at this time. I know the program director pretty well and he tells me that the companies need help, but there's no money to hire someone.

23. swerve macrumors newbie

If you're thinking of the bay area, don't. I know way too many techies here who are out of work, and have been for a year or more. Smart, experienced engineers are having trouble finding jobs-- it's pretty ugly. Plus, we don't need any recent graduates out here stealing jobs just because they'll take less money. :-]

I'd check out dice.com if I were you. I've made lots of connections there with contracts and recruiters.
    good luck.

24. awrc macrumors regular

25. Draft thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the sites guys! They look to be fairly fruitful.

Keep the suggestions coming!

Thanks again.