Anyone Know Of A .pk3 Compressor?

Discussion in 'Games' started by couch potato, Sep 8, 2003.

1. couch potato macrumors regular

i have been playing around with quake 3 source code. how? just change the extension on the quake 3 file from .pk3 to .zip

but anyway, i need a way to turn this source code back into a .pk3 file. soo.....does anyone know of a .pk3 compressor that works on osx? thanks :)

2. ScottDodson macrumors 6502

ScottDodson

Wellllll, here is my experience with .pk3 files. I've done a few skin packs and worked on maps for rtcw, and how you went from .zip to .pk3 is basically how you do it :D

.pk3's are essentially zip's, duh, so after you are done extracting the contents of the pk3(zip) and editing them, drag them all back into stuffit's drag zip....rename the file from zip to .pk3 and it should work fine.

3. couch potato thread starter macrumors regular

glad to know someone else is in my field:)

well, thats what i tried, because thats how i do it on my PC.... OOHH stuffit has a drag zip:eek:

ok coolness dude, COOLNESS:D

ill download that asap. thanks man:)

4. couch potato thread starter macrumors regular

hmm i have encountered a problem:( i compressed them back to a .zip, and renamed them to .pk3 but, although the extension changes, it still just unzips. it also still has the .zip icon. :confused:

EDIT: ok i have made some prgress. i did all the stuff i told you about in the paragraph above, plus i told it to open using quake 3. now it seems to look like all the other .pk3 files in the quake 3 directory, but the file type still says ZIP:( im gonna see if there is a way around this...maybe if i save it as something else:confused:

EDIT #2: WOOHOO IT WORKS:D :D thanks again for the help. now i can make mods for quake 3 on a mac:) YAY

5. ScottDodson macrumors 6502

ScottDodson

Hey right on man!!! You don't happen to do rtcw stuff do you??? heh, I'm in a rtcw clan and we have a mapper, I'm the skinner....we COULD use a modder ;)

www.osx-team.us

6. couch potato thread starter macrumors regular

me? no, but this other guy could. i am getting into modding, but im still getting into it. i would love to join, but i frankly wouldnt be much help right now;) hey, how do you edit levels via mac anyway?:confused: same with modeling

maybe later:)

nice site:):confused:

7. ScottDodson macrumors 6502

ScottDodson

wellll, our mapper is actually on a peecee!! LOL, but there is a version of GTKradiant out for the mac....but it's...uuuhhh, a pain in the butt to use to say the least (from what I've heard). But that's as far as my knowledge goes for mapping on a mac :( sorry. And whats up with that :) :confused: after you said you like the site LOL!!!

8. couch potato thread starter macrumors regular

oh. WHOOPS:D i just meant to put a smiley, not a confused thingy. hmm, i didnt know there was a radiant for mac. i dont care how hard it is.....might you know where to find it? or someone who has it? been lots of help:)

well, i got a PC too, but no code editor like project builder:D soo im gonna do my editing on teh mac for now. im gonna get rtcw in a few weeks for mac, until then im gonna dig up quake 3 and mohaa to see what i can find. im a novice, so, like i said, i wouldnt be much of a modder right now...maybe in a few months?:D

9. ScottDodson macrumors 6502

ScottDodson

Hey man no prob...here is the linky:

GTKRadiant OS X

I've never messed with it, but have fun...and make sure you let me know of your progress :D

Now if I could just find someone to make an akimbo mod for rtcw......

*edit: Some versions of Radiant are in the developmental stages, so stable may not always be available*