Anyone Know of a Way to Sync iPhoto Libraries?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by w00master, Dec 24, 2006.

1. w00master macrumors 65816

I can (almost) understand Apple not wanting to allow syncing of iTunes libraries on multiple computers. (Almost). But, I can't understand why this feature hasn't come about for iPhoto? I'm on the road a lot, and just have my Macbook Pro and a camera on me. I'd love to then be able to go home, sync my Macbook Pro w/ my iMac at home. Why hasn't this been available? Or, how about this? How about the reverse? Sometimes, I want to load *some* of my photos from my iMac over to my Macbook pro and my Mac Mini, but this (obviously) can't be done either.

This, in my opinion, is a SORELY needed feature. With, iTunes I can sorta understand why Apple wouldn't want to do this, but with iPhoto, there's no issue (for the most part) for this? Why is it so tough to BACKUP my iPhoto library so that if my harddrive DID crash, I could easily recover it?

If someone knows a way to do this (especially the backup part so that all of my keywords, albums, slideshows, etc are retained), I'd really appreciate it. Oh, and backing up to a CD/DVD is *NOT* what I'm looking for, I'm looking to do this on a harddrive.

Thanks
    w00master

2. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I feel you on this one. There are apps like Chronosync (and RSyncX for that matter) but they do not really do two-way synchronizing, so you will continue to need to use some sort of tricks or other to get what you want... :(

I'd really like to see a comprehensive computer-to-computer sync'ing system that handles all the iLife media in addition to everything that .Mac and iSync sync. I might even pay the .Mac fee for that if it were sufficiently good....

3. crazzyeddie macrumors 68030

crazzyeddie

I would also love that feature in .Mac. It would actually make it semi-worthwhile. Right now the feature set is so ridiculously pathetic that its not even worth $50/year and god forbid the retail price.

4. w00master thread starter macrumors 65816

With so many free options out there right now, I absolutely am with you on this. I cannot see ANY possible reason on spending money on .mac. I hate to say it (because I'm such a big fan of Apple), but I really think they should entirely rework .mac or get rid of it altogether.

w00master