Anyone know of any Custom computer builders?

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by sulja, Jul 15, 2002.

1. sulja macrumors newbie

All of the models on all of the sites come with things that I want to upgrade, or downgrade. All that i really care about getting is a
    800mhz
    512 ram
    geforce 4 mx, not ti
    a nice set of speakers
    a modem
    19" Moniter (preferabley flat screen)
    CD/RW drive
    20 or 30 gig hdd

if anyone knows of a store that would sell a custom mac it would be much appreciated

2. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

I custom build systems... :D

For Mac, just do a BTO on the Apple online store, or retail store if there is one near you.

3. sulja thread starter macrumors newbie

4. menoinjun macrumors 6502a

menoinjun

couldn't tell you until you do it yourself.

-Pete

5. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

The only way that I can see for you to get close to what you want, is to just get the current 800MHz tower. You can add more memory from another vendor for less then Apple will charge you, as well as change out the video card. You can do the video card on the BTO, if you really must have a nVidia gpu. Go to someplace else for your monitor, like Best Buy or one of the online catalogs. I would really suggest getting a ViewSonic screen.

If you want to save some green, then look for the system after this week, where most of the online/catalog sellers will be trying to clear their inventory of the current towers, especially if new ones get released.

You can pretty much forget about getting a hard drive smaller then 40GB, since Apple won't ship anything smaller in the towers. Anyone that alters a system for you, will have you pay the cost of the tower, plus any/all alterations. If you want a smaller drive, chances are, you will still pay for the larger one.

The ONLY play you MIGHT be able to get something closer to what you listed is in the educational store... or the developer connection. You will only be able to go down to 40GB for a hard drive, even there.

What is the reason you want to get a smaller drive anyway??? You do realize that 20 or 30GB will fill up very fast. Even 40GB isn't all that much any more.

40GB is really ~39GB (less after formatting)
    30GB is really ~29.3GB (less after formatting)
    20GB is really ~19.5GB (less after formatting)

You can figure that you will loose about 1GB to formatting as well... On the 60GB drive inside my work system, I really only have a 57.26GB capacity. The drive is also about half full at this point.

6. Hemingray macrumors 68030

Hemingray

Re: Anyone know of any Custom computer builders?

I don't really follow the logic here. To me, the best builder is yourself and the Apple Store. In your desired specs you've practically described the low-end PowerMac. If you want to get that specific, though, like with the RAM and graphics card, going BTO is inevitable.

Is going BTO that big of a deal :confused: