Anyone know the least powerful machine supported for tiger?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by rdhatfield3, Feb 28, 2005.

1. rdhatfield3 macrumors member

Just wondering what the least powerful mac is that apple will say supports tiger (assuming ram is aplenty).

2. jackieonasses macrumors 6502a

jackieonasses

Do you mean "supported" as in Core Image and all of the "goodies"? Or just run? Every g4 will run Tiger, even my 450mhz cube. I bet that will be the last major upgrade it will see. I only really see the g3 ibook lappy's to be the lowest of the low.

kyle

3. tersono macrumors 68000

tersono

Tiger will run happily on a Blue and White G3 or later - I was running an early build on a G3-400 with 512mb and it worked pretty well.

Basically the system requirements are G3 or better, built-in USB and Firewire (unlike Panther, which required b/i USB only).

4. Chaszmyr macrumors 601

Chaszmyr

One thing to note, right now Tiger requires a DVD-ROM, but it is unclear whether or not that will be the case with the retail version.

5. rdhatfield3 thread starter macrumors member

Not sure what b/i means? I'm Wondering if it will run (and when i say run i mean, won't bog the machine down, b/c as it is it runs pretty nice for the age) on my 400 Mhz iMac G3 w/320 MB ram and 2x AGP with 8mb vram.

6. tersono macrumors 68000

tersono

b/i = built-in (as opposed to add-on cards etc).

If I recall correctly, the 400mhz iMac had firewire, so you should be fine.

I ran some of the earlier Tiger builds on a Blue & White G3-400 with the stock video card and 512mb ram and it ran perfectly happily. Tiger should give similar performance to Panther on your machine - maybe even marginally better - although I'd recommend more RAM if your iMac will handle it. 512mb seems to be the 'comfort zone'.

7. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

Do you know the memory minimum? I've got a cube running as a music server -- it doesn't need to be "snappy," so I'd rather not bother upgrading the RAM if it's not essential.

8. tersono macrumors 68000

tersono

The specs say 128mb. :p

If Panther's okay on there, you'll be fine.

9. BWhaler macrumors 68020

BWhaler

Historically, OSX has required a G3 that had USB or later. I guess Tiger will be in that ballpark since Apple needs to support its older established base since it is dramatically bigger than those who have purchased machines in the past few machines. (A sad side effective of the low "market share" numbers.)

With that said, parts of Tiger will not be available to folks with older machines. I guess that is the compromise Apple has to make, and a gentle way of inspiring folks to upgrade.

10. SpaceMagic macrumors 68000

SpaceMagic

BUILT IN FIREWIRE :eek: are we sure guys? I sincerely hope not!

11. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

My guess as to a reasonable cutoff for Macs capable of running Tiger:

10 GB hard disk
    Built-in DVD-ROM (Tiger will only be distributed on DVD, I'd guess, since it's so large)

The supported systems would thus be:
    2001 iBook G3 or later with built-in DVD-ROM drive (yes, that's right - iBooks will be the only G3-class systems supported)
    Any G4 with built-in DVD-ROM drive
    Any G5

12. tersono macrumors 68000

tersono

yes - we're sure.

13. tersono macrumors 68000

tersono

Your guess is rather a long way off.

14. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Do you say this because someone has run a pre-release version of Tiger on an earlier system than the ones I included? If that's true, then take my list of systems as my recommended minimum (not Apple's recommendation nor the absolute minimum Apple supports).

15. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

So you say it will run on a iBook G3, but not on a PowerBook G3 Firewire (i.e. Pismo) with a G3@400MHz with DVD-ROM and 2 Firewire and 2 USB ports built in...?

Why...?

16. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

:eek:
    I didn't check Apple History carefully enough - that's why.

17. Plymouthbreezer macrumors 601

Plymouthbreezer

DVD's only for the Beta builds. I'm almost sure that the final will be had with a CD option.

18. musicpyrite macrumors 68000

musicpyrite

Just FYI but I've gotten a Beta version of Tiger to run on a 400 MHz G3 iMac DV with Firewire and a DVD-ROM, and a separate 400 MHz G3 iMac with Firewire with only a CD-ROM if I recall correctly. (though Tiger was booting off an external FW 400 drive both times)

19. aswitcher macrumors 603

aswitcher

Thats pretty low speced. How much ram does it actually function usefully with as a minimuim?

20. FredAkbar macrumors 6502a

FredAkbar

We always hear about OS X getting faster with each release, but is there a certain level of computer (say 400 MHz G3 or lower) where it would actually get slower? My mom's computer is a 400 MHz iMac DV, currently running Panther (kind of slow but I guess it's okay). Would Tiger be more likely to run faster or slower on it? It currently has only 256 MB of RAM but I'm looking to increase it to 512.

21. musicpyrite macrumors 68000

musicpyrite

It's hard for me to answer a question like "how 'useful' is it?"

Well, define useful. All those two computers are used for are interweb browsing, email, TurboTax, Word and Excel. Don't even think about Garageband, iPhoto, iDVD, Azureus/Limewire/AnythingJava, epically with the slow internal disk speed of the G3 iMacs. Typing in Word or in iChat was fine, but the computer started to lag when when I got 3 or more applications open like Netscape, Word and Terminal/iChat. The DVD-ROM iMac had 192 MB RAM and the CD-ROM iMac had 256, and there was a small, but noticeable between the 256 MB iMac and the 192.

And this is coming from someone who has 256 MB RAM installed on their main machine.

22. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

I like simple sayings, so I'll say "If you have built-in Firewire, you're fine. If you don't... time to upgrade."

Simple, no?