Anyone know what this means?

Discussion in 'Games' started by bumfilter, Jul 13, 2004.

1. bumfilter macrumors regular

I was having a discussion with someone about games on a mac, they said this:

"The Mac might be viable for games now, but it's too late. It was marked for death by the PC gaming movement before Bill Gates helped Apple out of bankruptcy."

When did Bill help Apple?

2. iBook macrumors regular

I remember just enough about what you're asking to be dangerous, but I'll try anyway.

A few years back, Steve and Bill affirmed Microsoft's commitment to the Mac platform. I think they introduced the newest version of Office -- which was for the Mac -- and discussed future releases of the software. Also at the time, there was discussion of $150 million -- I think in the form of a stock purchase, though I can't recall where exactly the cash went.

Someone else will, no doubt, have a better recollection than mine, but maybe this will jog your memory. Also, s/he may be able to say whether Apple was facing bankruptcy at the time -- I don't think it was; though there's not denying that market share wasn't the best.

3. Maclarny macrumors 6502

Maclarny

At Macworld Boston a while back Bill Gates appeared via video feed I believe. Steve Jobs announced that Microsoft and Apple were entering into a business agreement. Microsoft and Gates purchased a good portion of Apple's stock to keep the company affloat.

4. bumfilter thread starter macrumors regular

Ah I see, I thought it might be one of those fabricated "facts" that usually arise during Mac/PC debates, never heard of this one I must say.

5. Laslo Panaflex macrumors 65816

Laslo Panaflex

This is what I heard. Yes, Microsoft did buy a significant ammount of stock in the early-mid 90s, and yes, it did in essence "bail" apple out. But microsoft have since sold their apple stock (and made a significant profit) to apple, hence making microsoft no longer the significant stock holders that they were at once. Not that ever had even a controlling amount of stock, but they did have a fair ammount.

Again, I am probably messed up on some facts, but I believe that is how it played out.

6. kgarner macrumors 68000

kgarner

Also, it is my understanding, that Microsoft bought a significant portion of non-voting stock, or something to that effect. Regardless, Microsoft never had controlling interest or any say in the operation of Apple. And they have now sold back all that stock and no longer (to my knowledge) own any Apple stock.

Did they bail Apple out? Sure, but they only did it because they needed Apple around. It certainly wasn't any kind of charity as Microsoft would love to get rid of the competition, but can't due to monopoly laws.

7. applekid macrumors 68020

It was a $150 Million in stock. Steve Jobs said:

[​IMG]

Game sales are dropping on the PC steadily. The PC gamers are going to be dealt a hard blow once major game companies pull out. Consoles are more profitable.

8. bumfilter thread starter macrumors regular

9. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

The only time that Apple was truly facing bankruptcy was in its early days in the 1970s, before people knew what to make of the company and their computer.

In 1997, when NeXT became part of (and took over :D) Apple, there was great uncertainty about products. Intuit swore off Apple and various other software companies had pulled back. Microsoft infused Apple with $150 million in pocket change and swore to support it with a new release of MS Office.

Funny how that, with more games now than I've seen for Macintosh at any other time, it's still viewed as dying.

10. Shaun.P macrumors 68000

Shaun.P

Hmm

I don't know why, but I just find all the Apple/Microsoft politics extremely interesting. The one thing I like about Apple is that they truly are innovative - they are becoming more popular, and are always bettering themselves, unlike the somewhat stagnant Microsoft.

$150 million may sound like a lot to you and I, but in business, this is pennies. Microsoft (especially) and Apple are multibillion dollar companies.

Hmm wait -I don't know if it's the UK or USA, but somewhere 100 million is a billion and somewhere else a 1000 million is billion.... :confused:

--
    Life is all about choices, it's the choices we make that define a person and makes us who we are.

11. applekid macrumors 68020

12. bumfilter thread starter macrumors regular

I'm sorry you got nothing out of it but my post wasn't aimed directly at you. Maybe someone else may like to read it?! :)

13. applekid macrumors 68020

Heh, heh, heh. It is pretty informal for the newbies, I suppose. ;)

14. bumfilter thread starter macrumors regular

A lesser person would have simply flamed me! :p