Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

yoman

macrumors 6502a
Nov 11, 2003
In the Bowels of the Cosmos
rueyeet said:
Wish lists and lots new ways to find music....the ol' plastic's gonna be burning after this! And I might actually have enough excuses accumulated to get a printer now, too--those CD inserts would be very handy (I'd prefer an option to add my own graphics too, but what can you do).

youve been able to do this for a while. select song and open the artwork tab then drag a picture onto the artwork frame. :)

you can also select the song, get info, hit the artwork tab and click the add.. button :)

Suspended
Jun 22, 2001
mikeyredk said:
i guess it will only be for today since its the birthday and all

I doubt that, they're aren't going to give away a free song and get all the PR that comes with it, then hide it in the bowels of ITMS.

stoid

macrumors 601
Wes said:
I doubt that, they're aren't going to give away a free song and get all the PR that comes with it, then hide it in the bowels of ITMS.

Yes, I'm sure that the Weekly Free Song will stay up on the plate. ;) ;) :D

Besides, you wouldn't want anyone to poor their breakfast cereal and milk all over the Free Song of the Week! :eek:

mikeyredk

macrumors 65816
Mar 13, 2003
Wes said:

from the email they sent out it said its only for the first week

Suspended
Jun 22, 2001
mikeyredk said:
from the email they sent out it said its only for the first week

It's only on the front page for a week? or this free idea is only going to last for a week?

The iTunes Music Store features a new free single every week. On Tuesday of course. So if you want to keep current with all the new releases and newly added exclusives be sure to sign up for the free New Music Tuesdays email bulletin. It's a great reminder to download the free single every week.

hubert8

macrumors newbie
Sep 23, 2003
Help with music videos in ITMS

Anyone experiencing problems viewing some of the music videos on ITMS? I can see the video and hear the sound on certain videos (Coldplay, Missy Elliott, Massive Attack), but with MOST of the videos I can only hear the sound and not see the picture (Foo Fighters, Audioslave, Guster, etc...). The video window is blank and usually has the same color as the background.

aswitcher

macrumors 603
Oct 8, 2003
Canberra OZ
MoparShaha said:
Well, I just tried firing up iTunes in my second account while the first account was also running iTunes. Worked perfectly, no error messages like before. But, the iTunes in the first account kept on playing through my speakers when I had logged in to the second account. I had heard of this happening to some people before, when Panther first came out. This was the first time it's happened to me. Is this a feature or a bug?

Well that's exactly what I am after, the first account playing when I log into the second or vis-a-versa, so I can play tunes from an account I am not working in.

As for sharing across users, it looks like the other user has to be logged in and have iTunes running. Then, the library in the background account simply shows up as a Shared Playlist in the foreground account. I'm assuming this is the new feature Apple is talking about.

[edit]: added a little more info

Sounds good

oingoboingo

macrumors 6502a
Jul 31, 2003
Sydney, Australia
aswitcher said:
Yeah

http://www.apple.com/itunes/share.html

"Real Fast User Switching
For Mac users, iTunes 4.5 now takes full advantage of Mac OS X Panther fast user switching, so you don’t have to quit iTunes to switch users on your Mac. Even better, you don’t have to maintain two separate libraries, either. iTunes figures it all out, so you can manage your music with ease."

Can someone please confirm that on a single Mac the music owner can easily share with another account holder, and what the features Apple hint at are?

Just confirmed it. I was playing a song in my account, then switched over to my girlfriend's account, and started up iTunes. iTunes continued to play the song I was playing in my own account, and showed my own personal playlist as a shared playlist in my girlfriend's instance of iTunes.

It looks like the other user's copies of iTunes need to be up and running for other users on the same Mac to see their playlists though (just like with network iTunes sharing). Anyway, that's a great improvement...I was getting around to kludging a shared iTunes folder somewhere, using symlinks to share the folder between the two user accounts, but now it's been solved. For me, the iTunes 4.5. update is worth it just for the multiple user improvements.

ifjake

macrumors 6502a
Jan 19, 2004
i think i might stick with AAC just to save space. 192 is my bit rate i think. works just fine for casual listening. i'd say an AAC at 900 kbps pretty much becomes lossless, if that's what apple lossless is. sure principly or technically it may be lossy, but if the ear can't tell the difference then what else matters. the ear itself is lossy, more or less depending on the person. sound is dependent upon perception.

how big do these lossless audio files run? sure it may change depending on the music, but on average 5 minutes of music equals how many megabytes.

Mustafa

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2003
Shenfield, Essex, UK
It's always been there......

oingoboingo said:
...I was getting around to kludging a shared iTunes folder somewhere, using symlinks to share the folder between the two user accounts, but now it's been solved. For me, the iTunes 4.5. update is worth it just for the multiple user improvements.

If you want to share iTunes libraries with other account users, all you need to do is move your iTunes folder from your Music folder into the Shared folder. It's all explained in The Missing Manual (Panther Edition) p. 378. All except that after you've moved it, you need to import the Music Library.xml in each account.

oingoboingo

macrumors 6502a
Jul 31, 2003
Sydney, Australia
Mustafa said:
If you want to share iTunes libraries with other account users, all you need to do is move your iTunes folder from your Music folder into the Shared folder. It's all explained in The Missing Manual (Panther Edition) p. 378. All except that after you've moved it, you need to import the Music Library.xml in each account.

Thanks...that would have been a better solution that resorting to a traditional UNIX-style symlink kludge, but with iTunes 4.5 sharing it mostly won't be necessary :D

abhishekit

macrumors 65816
Nov 6, 2003
akron , ohio
Wes said:
It's only on the front page for a week? or this free idea is only going to last for a week?

The iTunes Music Store features a new free single every week. On Tuesday of course. So if you want to keep current with all the new releases and newly added exclusives be sure to sign up for the free New Music Tuesdays email bulletin. It's a great reminder to download the free single every week.
its one free song every day this week, because of the anniversary, and after then . one free song every tuesday..
and actually one can just goto the music store to check out the free song..
cheers

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.