Anyone know when the 7457 upgrades (giga or owc) are gonna be out?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by Sharky II, Jan 6, 2004.

1. Sharky II macrumors 6502

Sharky II

Hi

Kinda mentioned this in another thread but, i just noticed gigadesigns have the 7457 model number in the processor lineup...

Any rumours on how much the cost will be vs the current processors, and whether both models will run side by side?

I know power logix do them (although not single 7457 apart from cubes) but i'd rather go for a giga for some reason - plus i find them cheaper too.

PS - anyone tell me how much power the 7455b and the 7457 suck? or where i could find this info?

cheers

2. shake macrumors regular

i thought gigadesigns only had the 7455's currently. i checked their website, and it has no mention of one of their products using a 7457 processor.

did i miss something?

i'm waiting for gigdesigns to bring out a dual 7457 upgrade!

3. Sharky II thread starter macrumors 6502

Sharky II

Go to www.gigadesigns.com , click on products, and you'll see a numbering scheme. They list the 7457 there underneath the 7455 or 7451 (there's a big arrow pointing to a 5)

Anyone know when they are out?

(I don't see the point in getting a dual cos you could sell your computer, then plus your cash you were gonna spend on the dual, you could get a g5? or at least a better g4, dual)

4. shake macrumors regular

yeah, i guess i could get a G5... but...

i have 2 internal IDE hard drives. cant put them in the g5. i could get external firewire cases for them, but i dont like desk clutter. less stuff off the desk the better!

also, i am a professional audio engineer using proTools hardware. my proTools card is not supported in a g5. (something to do with voltages on PCI-X). so i can buy a dual G4 upgrade for about $1000 and have a speedy system, or sell it and buy a G5(dual 1.8 $2500), and new proTools hardware ($2500).

so its kind of a no-brainer.
    D

5. Sharky II thread starter macrumors 6502

Sharky II

Yeah i also use my mac for audio work. I''ve spent time and effort building a

I need to wait for the 7457's as the psu in my sawtooth is a pathetic 200w and i think the 7455 processor will push it over the edge. My usb midi controller (which is plugged into a 5way pci -usb card) fails to light up on powerup - i have to take it out and plug it back in.

I guess for you the pci-x problem is pretty important, but for most people, spending like $1300 on a processor upgrade is ridiculous. I love my mac, but in the uk i am gonna have to spend about $600 to get what you guys can get for $430 - i could buy a whole pc for that cash (which would probably outperform my dated mac). I can't tell my family i'm doing this or they'll go mad.

Yet for some reason i stick with macs - WHY?!!?

6. Sharky II thread starter macrumors 6502

Sharky II

oh, and gigadesigns have a knack of not replying to emails about the question

owc said "we're working on it and so are giga"

hmmmm

I hope it isn't too long, my mac needs some more raw power