Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jethroted

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 2, 2003
Cyberspace
How close are we to finishing all the folding? Does anyone have a % of how much we have completed? 50%, 80%? Is it never ending? Will there always be folding to do?

Rower_CPU

Moderator emeritus
Oct 5, 2001
San Diego, CA
I don't think there's any short-term goal in sight. I think as long as protein folding is not understood completely there will still be a need for F@H.

Maybe 10-20 years from now...who knows.

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
What was the milestone they reached last year?

Was it that the first of the proteins was completely analysed?

jethroted

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 2, 2003
Cyberspace
Originally posted by Rower_CPU
I don't think there's any short-term goal in sight. I think as long as protein folding is not understood completely there will still be a need for F@H.

Maybe 10-20 years from now...who knows.

Oh god. I don't know if I can keep this up for 20 more years. I think we just need to get more done now. I'm gonna have to find some more computers to start folding....:rolleyes:

MrMacMan

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2001
1 Block away from NYC.
Originally posted by jethroted
Oh god. I don't know if I can keep this up for 20 more years. I think we just need to get more done now. I'm gonna have to find some more computers to start folding....:rolleyes:

hehe, no one expect you to keep the computers aroung can you imagine baby's saying 'look at macrumors team folding, all they have are G4's and 970's, HAHAHAHAHA' :rolleyes: :D

It all depends on how many different protiens they want analyzed.

Well we finally maped our genome totally, so I mean there are few things people with computers can't do. But there is no current 'we will be done' by or when ____ is completed.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.