Anyone know where to buy an original Xbox?

Discussion in 'Games' started by FadeToBlack, Mar 18, 2007.

1. FadeToBlack macrumors 68000

FadeToBlack

I am looking to buy an original Xbox because I want to play Forza Motorsport. From what I've seen online, it's EXTREMELY hard to find them new and I'm trying to avoid eBay if I can. Anyone have a clue of where I could find one?

Thanks for any suggestions.

2. twistedlegato macrumors 65816

twistedlegato

I know people will kill me but i will say it.

EB games and Gamestop usually have them, they are used of course though.

3. FadeToBlack thread starter macrumors 68000

FadeToBlack

Awesome. I had checked online and they didn't have anything about them on their websites, so I went to GameStop yesterday and they were closed by the time I got there.

4. StokeLee macrumors 6502

StokeLee

Have you not got an xbox 360? If you have , the game will work on your 360. I played it a couple of times when i first got my 360, but without any game saves on my 360, I couldnt be bothered to play it anymore.

5. psycoswimmer macrumors 65816

psycoswimmer

Yes, Gamestop & EB Games still sell used (and maybe new?) Gamecubes, Xboxs, and PS2s. I'm pretty sure they all go for less than $100.

6. FadeToBlack thread starter macrumors 68000

FadeToBlack

I had a 360 and Forza and it didn't play right. The sound was REALLY messed up. It was fine when you were driving by yourself, (like in a time trial) but if you got in a race with other people, you could barely hear your car. I've heard about more glitches and stuff, too. The backwards compatibility just isn't that great on the 360 on some games. Some people have good luck with it, but I definitely didn't with Forza.

I ended up getting rid of my 360 and now I wanna give Forza another try, so I figured I'd just pick up a used Xbox and if I didn't like it, I could just sell it or something.

I'll give GameStop a try. Thanks for the replies.

7. Sdashiki macrumors 68040

Sdashiki

DONT buy one from EB, Gamestop, Rhino Games or the like.

This is not always true, but the fact that it CAN be true, should keep you far away. They accept opened XBOXs as trades. Meaning, someone opened the actual machine (you can tell because the screw on the bottom are found under the rubber feet and stickers) probably screwed it up royally and just traded it off.

Also, I havent been in a store for a bit but the markup, as usual, is horrendous. A used XBOX for $80 is a rip IMO. When on eBay you can find the same thing, probably never opened, with tons of games and accessories for only a few dollars more.

Craiglist is also a great place to check out.

If you want an older XBOX, I hope you are gonna mod that bad boy!? This makes it worth every penny and will pay for itself in entertainment, if you are so inclined.

8. FadeToBlack thread starter macrumors 68000

FadeToBlack

I just want to buy it at GameStop for the convenience. I'd say the risk of getting one that's been opened is just as big on eBay. Plus, as you said, most of the ones on eBay come with a BUNCH of games and most are more than I'm wanting to spend. (like $150-200 with a bunch of games) I'm basically just buying the Xbox to play Forza. As long as it works, I'm cool. Plus, GameStop should have a return policy on their used consoles.

I doubt I'll be doing any modding or anything.

9. mattscott306 macrumors 68040

mattscott306

I've got one I don't use anymore. It's been sitting around since July when I got the 360. I'll check it out tonight and make sure everything still works, if your interested.

10. Sdashiki macrumors 68040

Sdashiki

thats truly sad, an XBOX is a magical electronic device that only comes but once in a blue moon in terms of what it CAN do, and quite cheaply I might add.

think twice about modding it, seriously, you wouldnt regret it.

11. zero2dash macrumors 6502a

zero2dash

<snip>

Isn't that a pretty hypocritical statement there? :p
    "Don't buy from them, they sell opened ones...but go ahead and crack yours open and mod it." :D

I'd buy a used one from Gamestop because you can get an extended warranty for $20 versus buying a used one anywhere else that could crap out on your in a month's time and then you're stuck with a broken Xbox.

12. kaltsasa macrumors 6502a

I'll second the shoddy Forza Emulation. It defiantly doesn't play as smooth on my 360 as my original boxen. Half-life 2 was the same way for a while but I think they fixed the emulation now.

13. FadeToBlack thread starter macrumors 68000

FadeToBlack

Thanks for the offer, man, but I believe I'm gonna try and get one at GameStop. I like the idea of a $20 extended warranty. Very nice.

14. Sdashiki macrumors 68040

Sdashiki

Um, you missed the point.

One that has been opened and traded, probably was a "mod attempt" as in they screwed it up, leaving you with either a flaky system or a completely unusable one.

Modding it YOURSELF, is of course not as simple as flicking a switch, but at least YOU are the one doing it.

Buying an opened XBOX from a brick n mortar is asking for trouble, and whats more, is opening one voids any and all warranty, though I dont know if it voids Gamestops warranty as it was opened to begin with.

ps: dont confuse opened with the word used, opened in this case means the actual plastic casing was removed and the insides tinkered with.

pps: even if a broken XBOX were to happen, they are actually "easy" to fix.

15. FadeToBlack thread starter macrumors 68000

FadeToBlack

Called GameStop and they don't have any. Looks like I'm gonna go to eBay. Gonna try to find one with Forza bundled with it.