Anyone know why/when BestBuy discontinued sales of PowerBook?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by SolidGun, Aug 15, 2004.

1. SolidGun macrumors 6502

SolidGun

I was not aware that BestBuy.com has stopped selling PowerBooks. I have been thinking about getting my next PB there because I won't be a student then and that means no more student discount. I lke BestBuy service plan and wanted to buy one there, but they stopped the sales of 15" and 12" PB as of now. Any input would do.

2. FuzzyBallz macrumors 6502a

FuzzyBallz

1) Why buy from bestbuy when people can buy it from the apple store, or apple online?
    2) Ain't enough people buying apple from BB, not making money for BB.

3. invaLPsion macrumors 65816

invaLPsion

Did your local Best Buy store in Minneapolis ever carry Apple products? They never did down here in Mankato...

The reason why Best Buy doesn't sell Apple computers in their stores anymore is because Apple ended the pilot program. I believe you can still purchase Apple computers online at www.bestbuy.com.

4. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Sort of the chicken and the egg. Best Buy never did great because they never advertised. They never advertised because of the poor support from Apple in terms of co-op dollars.

5. Horrortaxi macrumors 68020

Horrortaxi

It was a pilot study and it didn't do well so Apple pulled the plug.

6. mac_gal macrumors member

7. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

8. SolidGun thread starter macrumors 6502

SolidGun

I guess I wanted to buy it from another reseller to save myself the trouble when the unit becomes defective.
    If you know the Apple store return/exchange policy and the service offered, you may share my idea on buying it from another reseller.
    I had to talk to so many people when I bought my 12" PB three weeks ago, when I had a "live/stuck pixel" in the middle of the screen for the exchange, only after 2 hours of purchase. It isn't normally done but I was very insistent.
    If it was at a reseller, a small scratch would have been replaced if that is what I wished for.
    Another one is the service plans. I don't want to buy Applecare to get "limited" coverage. With plans from resellers, they will cover so much more and with a lot less questions. And it costs about $50 less than Applecare for about the same period of coverage.
    So my consideration on buying newer PB next year at a reseller isn't really stupid or unreasonable.

9. kirk26 macrumors 6502a

kirk26

Weird, Best Buy doesn't sell PB in the Washington DC area(or at least Woodbridge and Springfield).

10. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

They did at some of the DC locations. This was during the pilot period. Too bad Apple didn't see fit in giving decent ad money in order for people to know, other than reading the fine print of some of the offers.

11. Koodauw macrumors 68040

Koodauw

What I like best about Apple and BBY

Best Buy has a return policy of 30 days or 14 days depending on what you buy. (They do charge restocking on laptops keep in mind)

That means 30 days free rental for me to try out the latest and greatest in Apple technology.

Need a G5 for a few days? How about a 23'' display to go with it. As long as you got the space on your credit card, youre golden.

Simply buy online, use untill set time, and return to store for a refund. Best of all is that online sales don't return to store inventory most of the time, and do not hurt the stores sales numbers for the day. Which means no pesky salesmen trying to talk you out of a return.

Its a loop hole in the policy, and I have only done it once, (Bluetooth mouse & Keyboard) but I am glad it was there.

12. kirk26 macrumors 6502a

kirk26

Ah, ok. Thanks.

13. SolidGun thread starter macrumors 6502

SolidGun

they charge restocking fee on all computers.

14. Koodauw macrumors 68040

Koodauw

Nope. just laptops.

;)

15. ozone macrumors 6502

ozone

Ironically, Best Buy in Canada has just started selling Apple products in store. Then again, we have far fewer Apple resellers up here in the frozen wasteland.

16. SolidGun thread starter macrumors 6502

SolidGun

koodauw, you are right....I guess I never noticed it because they say notebook computers and I somehow took that as notebook and computers.
    I guess this would be a good opportunity to test out the G5s...if they ever sell them in stores.

17. Koodauw macrumors 68040

Koodauw

You could Order Online, (Take advantage of free shipping)
    Test in Home.
    Return to store.

Most of the Apple products are only sold in selt high volume stores. The nearest one to me is like 2.5 hours away, so I just order online.

18. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

No one has pointed out a reason that one should buy online from Best Buy or Office Depot from buying from Apple dot com,

19. SolidGun thread starter macrumors 6502

SolidGun

I said why!