Anyone like jazz?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by jmufellow, Nov 22, 2005.

1. jmufellow macrumors regular

I'm thinking about getting into jazz. I was in a coffee shop the other day and they were playing jazz and it got me thinking "man, this stuff is good!" Anyone here into jazz? What would you recommend? :cool:

2. CubaTBird macrumors 68020

hello my friend.. you are speaking to mr.jazz here, mr king of cool.

so you liked what you heard in the coffee shop eh? that's awesome, thing is with jazz, as with any style of music, there are different "types" of jazz. smooth jazz (my fav), traditional, swing, be-bop, avant-garde etc. some artists and albums I would recommend anyone starting out with their venture in the genre would be..

david benoit "right here, right now" from 2003
    http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...bs_b_2_2/103-9783832-0987068?v=glance&s=music

rick brauns "sessions: volume 1" from 2004 (can only be bought from his site)
    http://rickbraun.com/music/sessions.htm

and the collaboration disc between boney james (sax) and rick braun (trumpet) entitled shake it up

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...bs_b_2_2/103-9783832-0987068?v=glance&s=music

3. Jay42 macrumors 65816

Jay42

Believe it or not, iTunes Essentials usually have some descent picks to get started. I would look there on the music store, I believe there is at least one for Jazz.

Edit: I found a few iTunes Jazz picks, but how do I post an iTMS link?

I do like Jazz and have a small collection, but I, too would like to expand.

4. slimflem macrumors regular

slimflem

Here's the deal. To each his own, but you should start yourself out right and begin by listening to the original stuff. The best Jazz you can get is from the 60's, hands down. The 50's has some awesome stuff, too, but for me, the 60's was is an endless well of awesome Jazz. I have over 300 Jazz cd's I have purcahsed over the years.

I would recommend starting with the following:

Art Blakey
    John Coltrane
    Charles Mingus
    Ornette Coleman
    Thelonious Monk
    Cecil Taylor
    Herbie Hancock

And the one and only Miles Davis. After you get your feet wet, starting listening to Miles Davis starting around the late 60's when he starts using electric instruments. It's some of the coolest music you will ever hear. Granted, it's not for everyone, but you may love it.

God man, when I first discovered Jazz, that's all I listened to for almost a year. I just couldn't get enough of it. Today's Jazz is not the same, save a handful of artists. The original stuff, the masters, the ones who started it all, is the best and always will be the best.

PM me if you need more specific info or other recommendations.

5. MattG macrumors 68040

MattG

Good post, slimflem. I'd like to get more into jazz and I'm never sure where to start. I've got a very limited number of jazz pieces in my music collection right now...I'll have to check out some of your suggestions :)

6. CubaTBird macrumors 68020

gnaw.. why always the old stuff? old school? just preview those clips from ricks site! off the hook!

7. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

When I first heard jazz live, I hated it. It just sounded like a bunch of musicians banging instruments and what not without any sense.

But I've grown to love Diana Krall, so not all is lost.

8. slimflem macrumors regular

slimflem

Here's the reason. You can't appreciate the new stuff unless you have a firm grasp on the old school, the original, the pioneers. These guys were breaking ground and laying the foundation for many years to come. The intensity and emotion in the original Jazz is amazing. Stuff today is overly commerical, doesn't have that same feeling, over-produced, and just flat out can't compare....most of it.

Now, if you are wanting some great "straight up" Jazz that is amazing and fun to listen to at the same time, I'd highly recommend "Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers". The guys really bring it!! It's very approachable for the newbie and doesn't demand your full attention at all times. The same can be said for others such as Hank Mobley, Lee Morgan, Freddie Hubbard, etc.

Once you've gotten yourself into it with these guys, you are ready for others. There is not a person on the planet that will not be moved and touched by the sounds of John Coltrane. He has some of the most amazing sounds you will ever hear. He put out a huge catalog of stuff. Starting in the 50's, he was coming up thru the Bebop era, but look out, when he gets his groove in the mid-60's, wow, it's truly awesome. Man, check out "Living Space", "Sun Ship", "Impressions", "Kulu Se Mama"....hmmm what art that is. He also has other more avande garde stuff that will blow you away.

Another great one is Charles Mingus. This guy was amazing as well. His style is totally unique. Give these a shot: "Mingus Ah Um", "The Black Saint and the Sinner Lady", "Mingus Mingus Mingus", and "East Coasting". Awesome stuff!

And for some of the best there is, although more electric than anything else, is Miles Davis' "Bitches Brew", "In A Silent Way", "Black Beauty", "Dark Magus", etc. These are more for the people that are already beyond the traditional stuff and are craving more. Trust me, you'll love it.

Other greats: Herbie Hancock's "The Prisoner", Eric Dolpy's "Out to Lunch", Lee Morgan's "Cornbread", anything from Wayne Shorter. I highly recommend Cecil Taylor.

Check it out, give yourself a chance and start with the good stuff. Forgot the radio Jazz and Smooth stuff to start. You have to get your base foundation in place first, then you can try the new stuff and see if you like it.

:D

9. slimflem macrumors regular

slimflem

Miles Davis must haves:

"Nefertiti" - one of my all time favorites. i can listen to this every day and never get tired of it....truely amazing!!

Miles In The Sky
    Miles Smiles
    Seven Steps To Heaven
    On The Corner
    A Tribute To Jack Johnson
    Kind Of Blue

10. slimflem macrumors regular

slimflem

One more thing, and I'm only stating a fact here. If you want to hear it right, you have to listen to Jazz played by black dudes (hope that didn't offend anyone). White guys do not do it the same. If you want the best, listen to the guys that started it, and it wasn't the white dudes. :p

11. iSaint macrumors 603

iSaint

It's called talent..they each have the gift that meshes well with the other. No lyrics required.

uhm, no offense, but not really jazz.

EDIT: my brother introduced me to George Benson, Pat Metheny and Bob James. Metheny is really interesting as he invents and builds instruments, mainly string or guitar type instruments.

12. slimflem macrumors regular

slimflem

completely agreed.

13. CubaTBird macrumors 68020

so out of the following modern jazz artists, which ones would say still, eh, "keep it real" :eek:

Clarence Clemons
    Rick Braun
    Brian Culbertson
    Richard Elliot
    Boney James
    Peter White
    David Benoit
    Norman Brown
    Nestor Torres
    Spyro Gyra
    Paul Hardcastle
    3rd Force
    Alex Bugnon
    Bob James
    Chieli Minucci
    Chris Botti
    Craig Chaquico
    Dan Siegel
    Dave Koz
    Eric Darius
    Marcus Johnson
    Eric Marienthal
    Grover Washington Jr.
    Kirk Whalum
    Gerald Albright
    Nils
    Everette Harp
    Euge Groove
    George Benson
    Gregg Karukas
    Jimmy Sommers
    Joyce Cooling
    Jeff Lorber/Fusion Band
    Lee Ritenour
    Ramsey Lewis
    Marc Antoine
    Richard Smith
    Jeff Golub
    Paul Jackson Jr.
    Paul Brown
    The Rippingtons
    Ronnie Laws
    Soul Ballet
    Steve Cole
    Steve Oliver
    Yellowjackets
    Marcus Miller
    Wayman Tisdale
    Warren Hill
    Jeff Kashiwa

14. xsedrinam macrumors 601

xsedrinam

I went to a Herbie Hancock's Concert this summer in Memphis. Huge. Also, a little "white boy" named John Mayer blew us all away. My son bought his newest CD "Try!" today and we listened to it this evening.

15. iSaint macrumors 603

iSaint

Compared to Krall, all of them. But then again, my jazz knowledge isn't that vast.

16. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

What would you classify her music as? iTMS classifies it as jazz.

http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZstore.woa/wa/viewAlbum?id=72979&s=143441

I think it's a blend of jazz/vocal/soul. I love her voice and I love her music. I'm not really into the whole jazz subculture with it's many intricacies. Got to give props to any artist who can bring entertainment disguising as bad jazz to the uneducated masses, like myself.

17. slimflem macrumors regular

slimflem

i'm not saying there aren't good white dudes, but in my personal opinion they can't quite do it like it's meant to be done. it's just my opinion, nothing negative meant by it.

18. slimflem macrumors regular

slimflem

iTMS is not an authority on music styles. Just because it's listed under Jazz does not make it so. When I rip Alice-n-Chains using iTunes, some of it, SAP, is classified as Metal. I would strongly disagree with this. On the same note, I would have a hard time classifying Miles Davis' "Black Beauty". Is it Jazz? No not really. Is it Rock, not quite. Some stuff just doesn't fit into a category that is easily labeled and doesn't have to be.

19. slimflem macrumors regular

slimflem

Are you from Memphis or do you live there now? I lived there from 6th grade to shortly after highschool.

20. slimflem macrumors regular

slimflem

To be honest with you, I hardly recognize any of these artists, with the exception of a few. I have listened to many current-day Jazz artists, but many of these I do not recognize. This is probably because I choose not to focus on the new stuff. Some of it may be really good, but I prefer to stick with the originals. Also, a few of these I would have a hard time classifying as a Jazz-type music anyway. My opinion of what Jazz is is probably a lot different than some others. Overall, I believe music lost a lot starting in the 80's, but that's just my opinion. (Yes, I'm probably older than many of you here.)

:D

21. slimflem macrumors regular

slimflem

However, being the fan i am of Jazz, I will surely give some of these a try and see what I think. You never know, some may catch my attention. Thanks for the list.

22. xsedrinam macrumors 601

xsedrinam

Naw, I'm not even hinting at the racial thing and I know you're not either. And any honest study of the roots of Jazz and Blues takes it deep in to the heart of Afro-American culture. But there's something pure about Mayer's style, licks, he leans in to it, it's there...nothing forced, and he shreaded with ease as he went in and out of variations of themes. It was impressive. That's all I'm sayin'.
    Edit:
    Live overseas. But I know the city and have a few friends from there. We visit it when we're Stateside from time to time. I'd probably recognize your high school (i.e. East, Bartlett, Germantown, Christian Brothers, M.U.S., yaddita-daditta).

23. slimflem macrumors regular

slimflem

And I totally believe you. :D

I have read many biographies and auto-biographies of the old school Jazz guys, and I have come to highly respect these guys and I'm glad there are still folks of all color carrying on the tradition. Just look what these guys gave the World...some of the best music on the planet and its influences reach far and wide.

24. yenko macrumors 6502a

Like wine, you have to taste it. It's good if you like it, bad if you don't.:)

Check out some clubs in your area and take a listen. You seem to know what you like to hear.

Go to iTunes music store and sample some. You're bound to find something you'll like. :cool:

25. slimflem macrumors regular

slimflem

excellent recommendations