Anyone living in LA

Discussion in 'Community' started by Coolvirus007, Jun 1, 2004.

1. Coolvirus007 macrumors regular

What are interesting places to go in LA? I've never been there and I am going for a week this summer.

2. legion macrumors 6502a

LA is really, really large (as in very spread out.) I'd say going to Santa Monica and Venice for a beach day (you can wander the shops on the Santa Monica Promenade, go to the beach and the Santa Monica pier and ride the rides, hang out on the beach, rent bicycles or rollerskate the boardwalk, walk the Venice boardwalk shops, explore main street, and of course eat at a lot of places.)

Also, if you're over 21, you should do the Sunset Strip on a Thursday night (not Friday when it's more touristy; Thursday's locals night); it's where all the famous bars and clubs are and where a lot of famous bands got their start. If you're into shopping, Sunset also has a large high-end shopping area on the westside during the daytime; of course Bev Hills would fit into this too. You could also drive down to Manhattan Beach and spend the day there playing sand volleyball and then head down to the pier in Hermosa Beach for the night life. (I'm a westsider, so beach life is pretty important to me-- that's why I pay the high rent)

There's some great off-the-beaten path bars to go to: StarShoes, the Burgandy Room, St. Nick's, Daddy's...

If you're into food, I've got a long list...

3. agreenster macrumors 68000

agreenster

Aaaahhhhh...Manhattan Beach. That's where I proposed. :)

4. krimson macrumors 65816

krimson

Democratic People's Republic of Kalifornia
    I'd say you have to Hit up Melrose Ave at least once, great shopping (esp clothes), there are always japanese tourists there. I find 3rd St to be too touristy. Museum row is nice to go and wander around (La Brea Tar Pits, MOCA, etc). The Getty would be a nice place on nice sunny afternoon.

5. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

We're a town of malls. That's our culture.

If you want to buy overpriced luxury items or, better yet, window shop while you pretend that you could buy overpriced luxury items, visit Rodeo Drive in Beverly Hills. You can even dream of running into movie stars there. Or visit Century City for slightly more down-to-earth shopping.

And be sure to visit The Grove, best at night, including the flagship Apple Store.

Olvera Street, in download L.A., is the original center of Los Angeles. Great (authentic) Mexican food and fun to watch the glass blower and sample the candy snacks. It's mostly a tourist site but, what the heck, you're a tourist!

6. krimson macrumors 65816

krimson

dont know if you're into coasters, but Six Flags Magic Mtn would be a good place to hit up on a weekday if you are... Goliath is nice, it's no Steel Dragon, but they've got a nice collection of rides.

edit: the Huntington Library is also a nice place if you're into art and plants.

7. janey macrumors 603

janey

teh grove :D :D :D :D
    the grove is so awesome
    http://thegrovela.com

Anyway, all of Los Angeles in some way or another is very interesting, so check out as much as you can.

8. ratspg macrumors regular

The Valley!

Well just in case you find yourself, not in the city..... check out Ventura Blvd.... lots of tiny stores in Studio City, or drive up to Encino, but the city owns.... melrose at night.... urth cafe, and elixir :) good stuff

if you aren't here for long,i agree the grove/farmers market is a little cool place

9. wowser macrumors 6502a

wowser

I , a Brit, went and really enjoyed it! A nice layed back feel to the place. I liked the gardens of the Getty Center, to get a nice view of the city. Don't do what I did on my first visit - walk the entire strecth from Downtown, east to the Greayhound station (with my suitcase in tow). Taking the subway south to Long Beach was an eye opener, too :eek:

10. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

A lot of visitors from Japan like to go to UCLA, because, um, er, I've never known exactly why. In any case, UCLA is in Westwood, not far from the Getty Center.

Travel agents will tell you that Disneyland, Disney's California Adventure, Knott's Berry Farm, and Magic Mountain are "amusement parks in Los Angeles", but they are each an hour away from the center of Los Angeles by car in good traffic (which is rare), and longer in bad traffic. The same holds for the Long Beach Aquarium. Universal Studios Hollywood, on the other hand, is an amusement park that really is in town. And Universal Citywalk, which it adjoins, is a great place to hang out and look at both locals and other tourists.

UCLA and Universal Citywalk charge for parking but then wandering around is free. The Getty is free admission too. In contrast, Disneyland, California Adventure, Knott's, Magic Mountain, and Universal Studios cost plenty.

11. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

I'm sorry, Coolvirus007, but we are being lousy travel agents ourselves. We didn't ask the basics: What do you like to do? What do you want to see?

Are you coming with a group? Are you on a tight or generous budget? In what part of the city will you stay? Will you have a rental car?

12. wowser macrumors 6502a

wowser

I found that if you don't have a car, the subway (as awful as it is) is essentially free :p

13. Neserk macrumors 6502a

Neserk

So far everyone is assuming he means Los Angeles. Is it that or Louisiana?

14. janey macrumors 603

janey

its probably los angeles... worldwide, i doubt people will assume LA stands for Louisiana. Only people who live in and around Louisiana will think that LA stands for the state name rather than the city in California.

15. krimson macrumors 65816

krimson

No one would go and visit louisiana for a whole week in the summer! that's insane!! :)
    unless it was mardi gras or something ;)

If you can't find anything else to do, you can sit with me on the porch and drink a 40. :D

16. Neserk macrumors 6502a

Neserk

I assumed it was Los Angeles, but I figured that is because I live there. I've never been to Louisiana but I know the postal codes :D

17. wowser macrumors 6502a

wowser

I once thought that Tabasco Sauce was made in LA - it referring to the southern state on the bottle

18. Inspector Lee macrumors 6502a

Inspector Lee

I second The Burgundy Room. In fact, you can do a loop involving The Frolic Room (old Bukowski/Orson Welles hangout), Powerhouse, The Burgundy Room and Boardner's. Keep in mind these are drinker's bars.

On the strip, Ye Coach and Horses is a good stop before rambling into West Hollywood.

For food, avoid at all costs El Compadre (on The Strip). I have a friend who lives out there and he said he ordered a beer in there once and it tasted like human hands.

Good restaurants include Mirabelle (West Hollywood), Cat n' Fiddle (The Strip just east of La Brea), Barefoot (on West 3rd), Elixir for coffee and treats (Melrose West Hollywood).

The beaches out by Malibu (i.e. Zuma) are cleaner.

19. rt_brained macrumors 6502a

Compton. But bring your camera, wear a pair of plaid polyester pants and take lots of money with you.

Okay, okay...before I get flamed...definitely do not do that.

20. Coolvirus007 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for your responces. I really had no clue of what I wanted to do there. I've always wanted to go to the west coast. This is the first summer that I have time to hang out.

And LA means Los Angeles, NOT Louisiana. As Krimson said, who would visit Louisana for a whole week. And I don't care about Tabasco.

21. wowser macrumors 6502a

wowser

Harsh... harsh

22. krimson macrumors 65816

krimson

^
    LOL! :)

i suppose if you find yourself without something to do, i can take you to the shooting range with me :D

23. chewbaccapits macrumors 6502a

chewbaccapits

If your coming towards the end of July, you could always go to the COMIC CONVENTION in San Diego...

Watts Towers...Yes, I know its a crappy area but the towers are really worth the trip; in the day...with many people.

Go to our version of GRAND CENTRAL station in downtown right across the street from Olvera Street then take the "GOLD" line to Pasadena and you could shop there and hang out for the night life... Or use the "RED" line (subway) to literally take you thru Hollywood all the way to Universal City...3 bucks will get you the ALL day pass; quite a bargin I might add...

If your still in downtown make your way to theSAN ANTONIO WINERY...Great wine and a great dining experience....

Hope that helps...

24. krimson macrumors 65816

krimson

I think July 4th weekend is the comic convention in Long Beach.

25. Neserk macrumors 6502a

Neserk

LOL. You'd be amazed at where people would go for a whole week ;) Just glad that it was read correctly and you didn't end up getting all kinds of ideas you couldn't use!