Anyone looking forward to Saxondale as much as I am?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Dunepilot, Jun 19, 2006.

1. Dunepilot macrumors 6502a

Dunepilot

http://www.bbc.co.uk/comedy/saxondale/
    Starts tonight. I am a massive fan of Steve Coogan, so here's hoping that the cocaine hasn't affected his ability to come up with a post-Alan Partridge corker.

2. dops7107 macrumors 6502a

dops7107

I thought it was pretty good! Some definite shades of Partridge, undeniably. I found it hilarious when he found it necessary to re-shoot the dead pigeon with such military panache.

3. Kernow macrumors 65816

Kernow

Bum - I missed it because I was working. :mad:

The trailers and all the previews seemed pretty good, so I'll try & get hold of a copy later on. It'll be interesting to see how he does - Alan Partridge was such a monster that he's bound to overshadow anything else Coogan does. Hope it's good though - I wasn't that impressed with that animated animals thing.

4. Dunepilot thread starter macrumors 6502a

Dunepilot

Well, my impression of it was that it was a little hit-and-miss, and it isn't that much of a departure from Partridge.

Which makes me think that Coogan has taken the decision to develop a Partridge-ish character again, either because he's afraid of too much deviation from a successful template, or because it's been his intention to develop the character all along (see his Gareth Cheeseman character from Coogan's Run, who obviously prototyped 'chat show Partridge').

With Saxondale he seems to have taken the cringeworthy elements he was moving into with Partridge's increased references to his own sex life in the last Partridge series and developed them, with a new bawdy female character. I wasn't so keen on this; it felt a bit forced to me.

What I did love was the set-piece showdown with the animal rights protesters, the Mick Hucknall insult and so on. I also liked the little bits of satire, like the fact that his girlfriend runs a shop that trades exclusively in portraits of unlikely characters smoking pot.

For me, the jury's still out. I'll be interested to see how it develops next week.

5. hob macrumors 68020

hob

Oh my! This one seems to have gone a bit under the radar - a little like Partridge, I guess it could attain cult status after several re-runs....

I saw 1/2 an advert for it, and then looked it up on Wikipedia, and then searched for it on a BT site!

Just watched it - I'd agree it was quite similar to Partridge - especially the character himself, his past (divorced etc.) - but I like it!! It's a different kind of humour to Partridge, and I really only laughed out loud once - during the pigeon hunt...

But I'll definitely be watching (or downloading) next week!